1984 BJ60 turbo slow under 2K rpm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kling-on

Kool Arrow
Threads
Website
www.texas4x4.org
so picked up a 1984 BJ60 it has a Isuzu turbo set up on it and over say 2200 rpm it's a rocket ... But under it a bigger dog then my non turbo. It has a boost gauge and its all the way up to 10psi at say 3100 rpm and LOTS of power. Any idea what to tune I'm a new to turbos

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes but it not working got to fix that first... And yes no boost under 2K and almost 10psi at 3K

Edit it does have 1-1.5psi under 2K but not much

Sweet mirrors :hillbilly: Local find?

Assuming fuel settings are correct, poorly matched turbo, i.e. too big, too much lag? What is the code on the turbo? What isuzu was it on before?

in a n old Toy diesel engine with a big stroke ( giving what you see today ) and narrow power band .. you like to have full boost ( what ever it is ) at 2K rpm at least ..

Man I wish I had more specs ... I bought it off a guy who's son brought it down from Canada and had a heart attack so he didn't know much ... My reason I say it a Isuzu turbo is I have one for my other truck and it has the same bolt mod done to it

image.jpg

So the manifold is the one you trim the upper holes to match the head

image.jpg

Found a 1in hole in the tube replaced with SUPER HOOKIE POOKIE but I hope it work better

s*** ass red coupler poped off 5 times on the way home so fxxx Spectra

Last edited:
Try one with the bend molded in. It looks like you are using a straight boot where one with an angle molded in would be a better fit ....

Like elkaholic says, I would replace your straight coupling with a 15 to 30 degree elbow (that red coupling is not meant to be bent like that), as well as the stock 90 on the intake with a proper silicone 90 (It will provide a hole soon in any turbo application). Silicone should be a snug fit, and get good hose clamps. Cheap and simple.

Ya ordered. 2.25 intercooler tube kit to remake it all out of hope it works better

Last edited:
Intercooler wount correct a mismatched turbo. Wastegate flapper leaking? Is it wired shut? Inline boost controller can squeak a bit of faster boost out of any set up. Cheap and easy to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom