Builds 1982 FJ43 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tub almost done! Painter had some runs in the single stage paint, so I’m hoping he can wet sand it smooth along with a little orange peel (though it kinda hides the flaws in my body work)

B4D50D19-F846-4599-BAAA-5C507899A769.jpeg

53044548-AA6C-4AD0-876D-66B2016102C3.jpeg

D314C551-DF9F-451A-B9CF-B46B633FE59A.jpeg

92C11829-4A0B-40AF-81A1-312BD4531F10.jpeg

320BD362-8B34-4CCE-8F9E-4757ED9B6108.jpeg

Really enjoying this build.

Thank You very much for the Kind words .......... 😇

i love the rear cone bumpers too , VERY JDM !

update: ih8 the electrical system. so finicky and giving me fits again. Truck starts...lights turn on. hazards work.

charging light, turn signal, wipers, parking brake light...all inop.

fuses all fine. no idea why. worked when i took it off the truck in the fall to paint. likely going to have to pull apart the harness and investigate loose connections

😑

update: ih8 the electrical system. so finicky and giving me fits again. Truck starts...lights turn on. hazards work.

charging light, turn signal, wipers, parking brake light...all inop.

fuses all fine. no idea why. worked when i took it off the truck in the fall to paint. likely going to have to pull apart the harness and investigate loose connections

😑
Update: Mystery solved. A wire pulled loose on the IG harness. Fixed and now everything runs as advertised.

Electrical and control cables installed. Getting started on the AC. I think the tachometer project turned out really nice. And I was convinced by a fellow mudder that a vacuum gauge was a necessity. It bolted in without any modifications.

Clutch bleed and just need to bleed the brakes and she’ll be ready for a test drive in the next day or so.

I hit a delay with the steering after the rag joint I used was causing piping and skipping because the angle was too great. Had to switch to a universal joint and completely reassemble.

CAEEEF80-5E1C-4BF1-B89C-03D48A6C4BEB.jpeg

29086D57-3C26-49E4-A818-3B0800AE16C6.jpeg

B3AC5088-0CCA-4E14-912A-946E90614162.jpeg

24DD5CD7-CB23-4E8C-8149-9CCE0BE52BF7.jpeg

Got her put back enough to take her for a drive today! Brakes need some adjusting, but all in all she drives like a dream. I’ll get some photos of her maiden voyage soon.

Added some mock up photos as I stage more parts for assembly. I think it’s coming together alright

27884A71-E05E-4424-BC74-D6B7AF867210.jpeg

CB3DF932-8AF8-4D1C-B245-16E62998EE3E.jpeg

5CC0E298-E33C-49F5-B7F2-8C2E1B4BB6C6.jpeg

ED44A4A3-069F-4D20-B4CE-6332FC743BB2.jpeg

Last edited:
I am amazed at the work you have performed. Would you mind telling us a little bit about yourself and how you learned to do all this mechanical work? Clearly you aver very skilled.

Thank you!

Well this might surprise you, but I didn’t grow up working on vehicles. I was just one of those guys that tinkered and took things apart just to see how they work and put them together again. My parents stopped getting upset at me when their broken appliances started working again. I grew up watching MacGyver if that is any indication.

I’m currently a pilot in the Air Force flying fighters, graduated from the Air Force Academy close to 20 years ago and flying ever since. At the Academy, I picked up an engineering degree with smatterings of electrical, mechanical, and human factors...so basically just learned how things work. I’m not afraid to tackle a problem myself but also know my limits and hopefully humble enough to ask for for council...so I ask for help when needed or if it exceeds my ability. Such as bleeding my brakes...I’m going to swallow my pride and have a brake shop properly bleed and adjust my brakes. I think it has to do with the proportion valve that I haven’t quite figured out...and brakes are a safety item...so trust the experts.

As such, I was a pervasive reader of lots of forums here on ih8mud as I learned about how to perform some task. These forums also gave me lots of ideas for artistic license such as the steering mod I did, the carb cooling fan mod, installing a vacuum gauge, the tachometer modification, the electrical charge light, and disk brake conversion. I honestly would not have been able to do any of this without numerous individuals who I’ve never met nor I will be able to recall.

I just turned 40, I have a wonderfully patient wife who has given me the freedom to work on this project and a great 2 year old boy with one more baby on the way.

Thank you for the great bio. Besides everything you described, I think the statement regarding your patient wife is probably the most important part of being able to tackle a build such as this. I know it takes many hours to get it done and having a supportive wife is key to success and happiness. Make sure she knows it, which I’m sure you do. Thank you for posting your journey. I throughly enjoying seeing your progress. I may even attempt the steering mod as I “hate” the way my 82FJ40 steers, and it only has 43K original miles.

Thank you for the great bio. Besides everything you described, I think the statement regarding your patient wife is probably the most important part of being able to tackle a build such as this. I know it takes many hours to get it done and having a supportive wife is key to success and happiness. Make sure she knows it, which I’m sure you do. Thank you for posting your journey. I throughly enjoying seeing your progress. I may even attempt the steering mod as I “hate” the way my 82FJ40 steers, and it only has 43K original miles.

I need to let her know more and more. She’s excited I’m almost done too.

The steering mod is great. All the slop is gone and it steers much like an FJ60 or 80 with much less wondering.

I need to let her know more and more. She’s excited I’m almost done too.

The steering mod is great. All the slop is gone and it steers much like an FJ60 or 80 with much less wondering.

I have never driven a 60 or 80, but it has to be better than what I have now.

Assymbly nearing completion. Hanging, aligning, and installing windows very frustrating...learned I need more patience.

Just waiting on the rear ambulance doors to get back from paint and upholstery to be complete.

Adjust the brakes, tune the carb and she is done!

E2FEC80B-CE87-4397-8722-8498DACC8F52.jpeg

ADAC7129-3634-47D7-9225-DB614FB68A01.jpeg

F09C1F16-1BCA-4DA7-B48B-2B659D1CCB55.jpeg

AF60AB12-368D-4429-A3CB-74FF84887680.jpeg

532E8061-B0A5-4CBE-89B1-975B003ECD63.jpeg

Totally kool and coming together like clock work

the last 5% of any build is the most challenging for sure ........

Congrats!, it came out great,

What paint color is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom