1981 FJ40 power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 81 FJ40 on 35's with factory power steering. I changed all the tie rod ends and put new guts in the box on the front frame ( forgot the name). Road walks especially in rutted highway and roads. Steering box is leaking quite a bit. Question is do I rebuild the steering box and live with it another 20 or so years, do a mini truck box or Saginaw conversion? Truck not new to me and use to be my daily driver. Just trying to improve things a bit.

I have an 81 FJ40 on 35's with factory power steering. I changed all the tie rod ends and put new guts in the box on the front frame ( forgot the name). Road walks especially in rutted highway and roads. Steering box is leaking quite a bit. Question is do I rebuild the steering box and live with it another 20 or so years, do a mini truck box or Saginaw conversion? Truck not new to me and use to be my daily driver. Just trying to improve things a bit.

Mini box is same internals as the oem power steering. When was the last time you checked your knuckles and bearings? 35”s how high is your lift? did you do a caster shim?

Mini box is same internals as the oem power steering. When was the last time you checked your knuckles and bearings? 35”s how high is your lift? did you do a caster shim?
Maybe 2 years ago. But I don't drive her much. She is my camping trip truck now. No on the caster shim

Maybe 2 years ago. But I don't drive her much. She is my camping trip truck now. No on the caster shim

A quick call to Cruiser Outfitters or Valley Hybrids would have them on the way. Lots cheaper than a steering box change. There are some threads on the subject that should help you figure out how many degrees you’ll need.

I think it's about 51/2" lift. Dump truck springs and longer shackles.

A quick call to Cruiser Outfitters or Valley Hybrids would have them on the way. Lots cheaper than a steering box change. There are some threads on the subject that should help you figure out how many degrees you’ll need.
Sounds good. Do business with both. Good people.

Yes I have been trying to find a rebuilt one or get it rebuilt. Thanks for the info I'll give them a call. Leak is getting pretty bad.

My brain finally engaged when I looked at caster shim. I know I put them on the back but can't remember the front. (Truck is at another place now can't look) sounds like if I do or don't either way it's wrong and probably been the problem all along causing the road walk?

Another vote for West Texas Offroad - just send it to them in a 5 gallon bucket.

cheaper to use a large flat rate box from the post office.

I think it's about 51/2" lift. Dump truck springs and longer shackles.
With that large of a lift and longer shackles you will definitely need caster shims if you want your vehicle to track better. @orangefj45 should be able to hook you up with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom