1980 FJ40 fuel pressure regulator / inline bypass fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning on ditching this inline fuel pressure regulator (mr. gasket) because one - I think it's failed (on my way to get a pressure tester as I post this) and two, everyone says it's junk anyway. I have fuel absolutely gushing out of a blocked off plate on the side of my intake manifold...

I had been told that there is an older CJ fuel filter that can be ran that has a bypass for overflow for the extra pressure coming out of the (at the moment, electric) fuel pump. I have no idea what this filter part number is - does anyone run this setup, and if so can you tell me

1. the part number
2. where I need to route the bypass hose off the filter

Things to keep in mind here - I am about as ignorant as it gets with regards to working on automobiles, so you may need to spell it out like you're talking to a 5 year old.

For what it's worth, I run a Wix 33040 fuel filter with the return line routed back to the tank. Didn't have your problem, but I did have vapor lock on my SBC 350 FJ-40 and it took care of that.

For what it's worth, I run a Wix 33040 fuel filter with the return line routed back to the tank. Didn't have your problem, but I did have vapor lock on my SBC 350 FJ-40 and it took care of that.
Awesome, I ordered that this morning!

Can you tell me a little bit more about how to route back to the tank? Did you make a new hole in the tank or is there an existing line that goes back that I can tap into?

We're not sure what yr your 40 is? A stk tank should have a return line port. I'm not sure about early model tanks. The cj filter was on mid to late 70's cj7 and cj5's. I know the v8 304's ran them. If you scroll down on the link has the plumbing of the lines.

We're not sure what yr your 40 is? A stk tank should have a return line port. I'm not sure about early model tanks. The cj filter was on mid to late 70's cj7 and cj5's. I know the v8 304's ran them. If you scroll down on the link has the plumbing of the lines.

Supposedly it's a 1980, but I think there was evidence it might be a 1979 - not sure if there's a huge difference there. I do actually have a guy that's going to put a new tank on since it's heavily rusted out (soon, hopefully) so that might be a good time to deal with the return connection. I was hoping to get my truck back on the road before then though, so maybe with that link I can figure out what is what. Thanks!

79 and later model tanks were located under the body on the passenger side. My link is for earlier models. I'm pretty sure the later models had return lines too.

Supposedly it's a 1980, but I think there was evidence it might be a 1979 - not sure if there's a huge difference there. I do actually have a guy that's going to put a new tank on since it's heavily rusted out (soon, hopefully) so that might be a good time to deal with the return connection. I was hoping to get my truck back on the road before then though, so maybe with that link I can figure out what is what. Thanks!
79 and later model tanks were located under the body on the passenger side. My link is for earlier models. I'm pretty sure the later models had return lines too.
Would the return port be in use by anything else, or would it just be plugged? I'm going to do my best to figure out where it is, but if I have to do much surgery I might have to leave it to the professionals.

My guess would be it was probably plugged somewhere under the hood or along the frame by the person who installed the electric pump. I'm not familiar with 1979 and later 40s and their fuel lines. Earlier models had metal lines with short pieces of hose to make connections. I would guess later models would be somewhat similar, if somebody didn't alter things thru yrs. If someone is replacing the tank, he should be able to hook up return lines.

Yeah, I agree with everything @pb4ugo wrote. There should be a return line port on the tank regardless of the year model. My guess is that when you drop the old tank you'll find a metal tube going into it with a short section of rubber fuel line attached that has a bolt stuffed into the end and hose clamped to make a plug. BUT...if for some reason there isn't a return, the gas filler has a smaller line to vent the tank. You could "T" into that, but I don't think you'll need to. Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom