1979 FJ40: Won't move in neutral without parking brake on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, one of my distant relatives passed away a few months ago and I have been cleaning out his house getting it ready to be sold. One of the first things I can across was a 1979 FJ40LV-KCJA. It has a good amount of problems with it and I'm new to cars. I bought a repair manual and have been studying up on how to do basic maintenance and fix small things. Today I tried to roll the car out of the garage but found that it would not budge. It was in neutral and the parking brake was on. I jacked it up and put it on stands and tried to rotate the wheels by hand and found that only the front passenger wheel rotated. I have a friend of mine coming to look at it tomorrow who is more knowledgeable than me but no mechanic. I did a little googling and it seems like the most likely culprit is the brake calipers. I was hoping someone could give me some idea of what to look for in a bad caliper and any other ideas of what might be wrong. I appreciate any help.

So, one of my distant relatives passed away a few months ago and I have been cleaning out his house getting it ready to be sold. One of the first things I can across was a 1979 FJ40LV-KCJA. It has a good amount of problems with it and I'm new to cars. I bought a repair manual and have been studying up on how to do basic maintenance and fix small things. Today I tried to roll the car out of the garage but found that it would not budge. It was in neutral and the parking brake was not on. I jacked it up and put it on stands and tried to rotate the wheels by hand and found that only the front passenger wheel rotated. I have a friend of mine coming to look at it tomorrow who is more knowledgeable than me but no mechanic. I did a little googling and it seems like the most likely culprit is the brake calipers. I was hoping someone could give me some idea of what to look for in a bad caliper and any other ideas of what might be wrong. I appreciate any help.

Why are the barnfinds always so far away ?

Last edited:
@ifixcar
The parking brake on a stock, un-modified '79 is not a traditional one like on most cars where they are on the rear axle but rather a drum behind the transfer case but it sounds like that isn't the issue.

The rear brakes don't have calipers like the front at least not stock. They are drum brakes.

Look at this thread, post #62.
This should help you out.

A stuck parking brake will still act like this if it's in 4WD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom