Builds 1979 FJ40 Preservation-ish Project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have taken leaf springs to a spring shop and had them rearched. You could try this on the side that you want to alter either add arch or reduce the arch. This may correct your shackle angle too, so they are equal.

Sorry if I missed it but is your lean only apparent in the rear of the vehicle or does it present in the front as well

Last edited:
Rear brake squeak:

I have had a rear brake squeak ever sense I rebuilt the axle. Today I pulled the rear drive drum brake to peak inside.

Nothing is jumping out at me as incorrect.

I did notice that the rear brake cylinder moves more predominantly than the front? Is that normal or should they be more sequenced? 90% of the movement is rear cylinder.

163AD168-DE5B-440A-AC52-A6714E674D04.jpeg

Thank you!

It seems to happen as the pad makes contact with the drum. Does not happen when the 40 is not moving. High constant squeak as I apply the break while moving.

Thinking I have a bad cylinder…

Looking closely at your top shoe you can see low spots on the lining where the drum isn't making contact. Idk, if it's the problem or not, it's just an observation.

I prefer disc too and some folks are gluttens for punishment:). It seems @OPMACHINE is well invested in drums and is looking for a solution that doesn't require scrapping his investment.

I prefer disc too and some folks are gluttens for punishment:). It seems @OPMACHINE is well invested in drums and is looking for a solution that doesn't require scrapping his investment.
He loves pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom