Builds 1979 FJ40 Preservation-ish Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took a trip to Moab last weekend to test out the new suspension..... O wait that is my office parking lot.

do you even flex bro.jpg
flexy flexs.jpg
bilstein compression.jpg
bilstein stretch.jpg

I agree, need to add bump stop extensions to the list. Shocks are about 1/2” too long, but the next size down would have been too short.

I bought the Timbren kit that bolts into the stock location for my Pig. Pretty pimp

I finally found a few hours to work on the rust repair. I am not quite sure how I should approach this.

The Real Steel patch panel is not even close to the original. The bend radius around the door sill and turn down and around the rear cross member is way off....Which is really the only thing that needs to be correct, the rest of the panel is pretty simple.

My current plan of attack.
- Remove the original rear quarter panel along the the sharpie line.
- Cut out the rust from the original rear quarter panel once removed from the truck.
- Weld in sections of the Real Steel patch panel to the original panel, leaving the original bend radius and step down intact.
- Re-weld the original panel back in place.
- blend and paint

option #2
- hammer and cut away at the Real Steel patch panel until it fits.
- weld it in
- blend and paint.

Anybody have a better plan?

PASSANGER REAR QUARTER PANEL 2-15-20.jpg
rear passanger cut line.jpg

rear passanger - real steel overlay.jpg

They refused to do mine after I called ahead to make sure they had them in stock. Went to Les Schwab and they mounted a set.
Late to the party on this thread but I also got turned away from Discount Tire on mounting but found a local shop that had zero problems taking my money!
Got some of the last KM2s before the switch to KM3..... drives so much better, I’ve tabled the PS project for now 😊
8227DEFB-AB39-470D-A7EE-18D6C814886F.jpeg

@OPMACHINE .....good looking ‘79 - Congratulations!

Well, I was planning on welding in the rear patch panel over the weekend......I went to start the cruiser and nothing but a click.

Diagnostics:
-Battery is old but holding 12.8V
-Battery cables are secure.
-Very weak headlights?
-Fusible link....WAS BYPASSED BY A PREVIOUS OWNER! 😬 I really wish I payed more attention to this.
Fuseable Link Bypassed.jpg

Not sure where to go from here?

The engine needs gas, spark and compression. Do you have spark? Have you gone through the ignition circuit? That was the issue with my 40.

Are you running the original starter? Meaning, is it large and look heavy? I found great reference material from coolermans website. Double check your wiring, especially if the PO has been in there making changes
I ended up upgrading my starter to the FJ60 Gear Reduction Starter (GRS) which is well documented here on mud.

Last edited:
@wildling Thank you, Coolerman's electrical schematic is fantastic! I believe the starter to be original. I have not gone thru the ignition circuit... I need rotation before spark.

I am still hoping that it is stater solenoid. I guess I will screwdriver start that stater to see if she will run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom