Builds 1979 FJ40 Preservation-ish Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spending all the money once again on an old Toyota, I called Cruiser Outfitters and ordered the stock/light duty 2-2.5 springs, and sourced Bilstein 5100 shock locally.

Patch panels are in. I am hoping to start on this next week. CCOT (near) VS Real Steel (far). Yes, I ordered both sets, call it professional interest. Both will get used eventually.

CCOT vs Real Steel 2.jpg

Real Steel Deluxe Tailgate:

Real Steel tailgate.jpg

Playing around with the company Logo:
- 3D printed carbon fiber
- Fiber laser cut copper
- Sewn patch
- Vinyl sticker
RealSteel Deluxe Tailgate.jpg

my Logo.jpg

Spending all the money once again on an old Toyota, I called Cruiser Outfitters and ordered the stock/light duty 2-2.5 springs, and sourced Bilstein 5100 shock locally.

Patch panels are in. I am hoping to start on this next week. CCOT (near) VS Real Steel (far). Yes, I ordered both sets, call it professional interest. Both will get used eventually.

View attachment 2122719

Real Steel Deluxe Tailgate:

View attachment 2122738

Playing around with the company Logo:
- 3D printed carbon fiber
- Fiber laser cut copper
- Sewn patch
- Vinyl sticker
View attachment 2122739
View attachment 2122737
The Real Steel looks more true to the original cut, with the extension toward the rear sill under the doors. Don't see that from CCOT. Also, I dig all of the logos. Look awesome!

The CCOT patch panel would need to be modified to fit a 1979 or newer cruiser. (if you are going to be cutting that far or replace the entire panel. Real Steel Steel panel is 79 and up specific.

The biggest apparent difference between CCOT and Real Steel is the fit and finish out of the box. The CCOT panel has nice consistent radiused corners at the folds, has been DA sanded and essentially preped for welding.

The Real Steel panel will need to be hammered and dollied smooth at the folds. The overall shape will need to be pulled in place a little.

Honestly both are great options. I am not sure what panels I will end up using. All depends on what happens when I start cutting into my dream car... that I have wanted since I was a little kid. (Note to self...don’t F**k this up!)

These rear panels would be a HUGE time vacuum to DIY. Even with all the equipment I have, it’s is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Slow progress

2.5'' OME CS001F light/ CS001R light lift:

I have not purchased shocks yet, but so far I am very happy with the result. Comparing the OME to the CCOT kit without shocks on both setups. There is a pretty dramatic difference in spring suppleness and travel while bouncing the truck in my garage.

Shocks lengths:

Front:
Ride height - 16.125''
Max droop on jack stands- 18.75''
max compression - not tested

Front: Bilstein 33-233970 (7.4'' of travel) - looks like the best option
- Compression length - 13.00''
- Extended length - 20.4''
front leaf.jpg

Rear:
Ride height - 21.875''
Max droop on jack stands- 23.5''

Rear: Bilstein 33-186542 (9.24'' of travel) - good length
- Compression length - 15.11''
- Extended length - 24.35

rear leaf.jpg

Last edited:
Slow progress

2.5'' OME CS001F light/ CS001R light lift:

I have not purchased shocks yet, but so far I am very happy with the result. Comparing the OME to the CCOT kit without shocks on both setups. There is a pretty dramatic difference in spring suppleness and travel while bouncing the truck in my garage.

Shocks lengths:

Front:
Ride height - 16.125''
Max droop on jack stands- 18.75''

Front: Bilstein 33-233970 (7.4'' of travel) - looks like the best option
- Compression length - 13.00''
- Extended length - 20.4''
View attachment 2154929

Rear:
Ride height - 21.875''
Max droop on jack stands- 23.5''

Rear: Bilstein 33-186542 (9.24'' of travel) - good length
- Compression length - 15.11''
- Extended length - 24.35

View attachment 2154931
This is helpful stuff!

@tls3601 I just cant leave good enough alone,..... and I own a fab. shop. Why not fix it? Sky Blue is a badass color!!
I totally agree Sky Blue is a favorite of mine as well. I thought you didn’t like the paint, but then I saw some of the rust, so now I totally get it. Looks to be a rig with very good bones. Where are you located? I am between Phoenix and Prescott Valley Arizona.

Is that a OEM part number for the headlights?

So when you say “kit”, do I need one or two kits? Thanks for the info and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom