Builds 1977 FJ40 - USA Spec Restoration - Father & Son Project - AKA "Belle" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I now know why there was an inch of filler on a brand new panel. This tub must have been hit or side swiped. The top of the quarter panel has about a 12 -14 inch long dent. The rail is straight, but the panel is bent in. You can see light about 1/8 of an inch when I put a straight edge on it. I need to figure out a way to bend this back out????

Any suggestions?

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

Last edited:
Decided to take a brake from the body and work on the engine today. I got the Fel-pro gasket kit and started replacing all the gaskets and painting the motor. It was a pretty good deal at AutoZone. $90. I had a $20 credit and a coupon. I got the whole set with everything for about $70. I am working on the video for YouTube now with all the details.

IMG_3679.JPG

I pulled the push-rod cover off, cleaned it, painted it, put it on with a new gasket.

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_4030.JPG

Pulled of the oil pan and I am planning to do the same (clean and paint it).

IMG_4036.JPG

I was planning to pull the harmonic-balancer in off and replace the front seal and timing gasket, but I got the wrong puller. I will need to get the correct one tomorrow.

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

Here is the is the puller I should have gotten. I will get it tomorrow.

62620_zzz_500.jpg

Last edited:
I'd recommend using the Toyota one-piece oil pan gasket instead of the Fel-Pro gasket.
The Fel-Pro gasket is one piece... do you still recommend the Toyota one?

Do you have any more pics of what it looked like before you took it apart? My first car was a sky blue '77 that I owned in SC. Maybe this is it? It had some identifying damage on it that maybe I could spot.

Do you have any more pics of what it looked like before you took it apart? My first car was a sky blue '77 that I owned in SC. Maybe this is it? It had some identifying damage on it that maybe I could spot.

I don't have any pics of it assembled. It was in a thousand pieces when I bought it.

I had to replace the timing cover gasket twice because I committed the common mistake of tightening the bolts too tight :( I know better than that and still got impatient and didn't use a torque wrench. This was a good lesson for me and my kids to remember that it is better to do the job right the first time and not have to do it a second time. I also installed the new motor mounts I got from SOR and scrubbed the trans and transfer case and coated them with new coat of paint. I will add some more pics later today.

IMG_4325.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

IMG_4347.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the latest video with a lot more details on what I did and how to install a timing cover gasket.

RE-doing my timing cover this AM. I felt I over tightened the bolts as well and thought better to replace now vs when radiator is back on. Did you flatten the spots out where the bolts go through the timing cover? I saw where one member did because they were indented from previous torquing? Also, anyway you’d send me the link to your FSM?

RE-doing my timing cover this AM. I felt I over tightened the bolts as well and thought better to replace now vs when radiator is back on. Did you flatten the spots out where the bolts go through the timing cover? I saw where one member did because they were indented from previous torquing? Also, anyway you’d send me the link to your FSM?
Yes, I did make sure the timing cover was flat. PM me your email and I will send you a PDF of the FSM, but it's actually not the Factor Service Manual. It is the engine and chassis manual.

MM

Last edited:
I got a "back up" 2F motor. My plan still is to get the original motor running, but when I get ready to rebuild it, I can put is and pop this one in so I can keep the FJ40 on the road while I am rebuilding it. This one runs and is from a 1984 FJ40. I got the motor, 4 speed trans, (I did not get the transfer case) and all the goodies. I also got some free parts with it.

Here are a few pics.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

The guy I got it from had some left over parts that he gave me for free. He is putting a 6.0 LS motor in the 84 FJ60 he pulled the 2F motor out of. I am planning to sell the FJ60 4 speed transmission, radiator, fan shroud, AC compressor, extra carb, and maybe the power steering pump and bracket to recoup some of the money I spent on the motor.

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4552.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom