Builds 1975 FJ45-Running Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

somebody always notices when shackles are around the wrong way, the rear ones should have the anti inversion tabs the other way around so the springs cant invert, for your handbrake I don't know anyone that has successfully hooked up a rear drum handbrake to an under dash hockey stick you might be better trying to stick a 40 or 70 series floor mounted lever to get better pull and leverage on the handbrake, your trucks looking good I'm envious :)

Shot, though that was the right way around for the shackles as they were like that before......

Will work on the handbrake, the only issue I see with a 70 series floor mount is where do I mount it? Fuel tank takes up most of the good spots.

20170205_190415.jpg

Made up a new exhaust mount, will weld it in the morning and make one for the back.

Will work on the handbrake, the only issue I see with a 70 series floor mount is where do I mount it? Fuel tank takes up most of the good spots.

there's no where good mate its where ever you can make it fit, even the later tubs with the floor mounted handbrake is in an awkward place to grab

Decided to start making a new flatdeck up, I had a look around for 2nd hand ones but not that many around and the ones that I did find were s***. Ordered the steel yesterday from S&T which turn up today, was good to get a discount through work so came to about $600 all up.

20170209_215342.jpg

Main rails are 75x50x3mm, got my rear tyres changed onto a set of 15x10s which pushed the width out. Deck will be 1900mm wide but unsure of the length yet, cut the length to 2400mm but think it will be around 2250 when done.

20170209_214503.jpg

Made sure there will be lots of clearance between the deck and tyres, the old deck boards had 15mm carved out from rubbing the underside.

20170209_214514.jpg

Lined the beam up with the rear 3 mounting points so the front two will be offset. Made up a different style of mount and used 12mm plate as packing. Will work on it again after work tomorrow and should have a good amount done by the end of the weekend.

Main rails and the chassis mounts are done.

20170211_093241.jpg

Had to keep 3 in line with the front two offset including 12mm plate as spacers. It would of been goodit they werected all in line and on the same height.

20170210_214735.jpg

Will try and get the main frame cut and welded up today but will take a while to complete. I plan to get it galvanised when it's done.

Made good progress today, most of the deck is cut and tacked or mostly welded.

20170211_163250.jpg

Tomorrow I have to work on cutting flat for the rope rails to cap the ends as well as the tail end. Making taillight mounts and put a bar across the bottom.

20170211_162358.jpg

Will add more bracing to the crossbeams as well as work on the headboard. Need to unbolt the deck at some point and flip it to do a whole lot of welding on the underside, will save my welds looking s*** if I tried to weld from underneath.

20170211_172225.jpg

Made good progress, the back of the deck is all made, just more wending. Moving my way forward capping the ends of the cross beams and adding more bracing, need to make up the headboard.

20170212_190017.jpg

Trying to make/drill all the mounts I need before galvanizing. Light mounts look good and I widened the area around the number plate instead to mounting it to the rear crossmember.

20170212_171225.jpg

I am defiantly better with my stick welder now, especially with vertical welds. Going to flip it to weld the underside. Still waiting for my new radiator and need to make up ps lines. Trying to push to get the truck for cert as I am planning for a trip down to Christchurch for my uni graduation on the 11th of April. Will get the deck off to galvanized then work on other bits while it gets completed, don't think I will make sides for the moment.

Last edited:
Nice work Taha. Just with that handbrake setup, if you investigate early Holden's, they had the umbrella handle that connected to the rear drums. They way they did it was about halfway along the cable there's a torque multiplier in the form of a piece of flat bar with a series of holes and a pivot on one end. The pivot bolts to the body and the holes are where your handbrake cable attaches to, by way of a small pulley. You choose one hole, but there's others for adjustment.

This here, except Holden got it right first time - no need for the extra holes. It multiplies the torque, meaning less pull on the handle equals more pull on the shoes.

s-l300.jpg

This here, except Holden got it right first time - no need for the extra holes. It multiplies the torque, meaning less pull on the handle equals more pull on the shoes.

View attachment 1400548

I tried to make one up but still didn't work that well. I was going for wait till I have the truck driving as the drums at the back have new shoes and might not be that we'll contoured to the old drums.

20170204_124320.jpg

Finished the main frame of the new deck, will be onto the headboard tomorrow night. Trying to push to get it welded up as I found out that my local galvinising place has a lead time of three weeks at the moment. Think here is enough steel in the deck now, should not bend under repeated heavy loading, if that ever happens.

20170213_214427.jpg

Lots more grinding and finishing to do, want to make sure it's tidy before galvanizing, lit's of bits of Slag to remove.

20170213_173304.jpg

New radiator turned up today too, dadon't is taking it in the morning you get the bottom outlet adapted so the pipe misses the ps pump.

you might want to swap your rad top intake to the other side so that if you ever put in AC the AC compressor belt wont catch your upper rad hose.

i had to have my rad modified to miss the PS pump. ended up looking like this...
Radiator Bottom End.jpg

hey mate, love the work on the tray, just out of interest how much do you reckon it has cost you all up? reason being I've wanted to do my own for a while now but the possible cost of doing so has put me off. also I've had terrible luck with resistors when i put in LED tail lights. hopefully you have better success.

cheers

hey mate, love the work on the tray, just out of interest how much do you reckon it has cost you all up? reason being I've wanted to do my own for a while now but the possible cost of doing so has put me off. also I've had terrible luck with resistors when i put in LED tail lights. hopefully you have better success.

cheers

Got LED bulbs coming as well as a LED flasher so will see how it goes. The steel cost be $600 i need a bit more flat as I order the wrong size so will be $650 in steel but I do get a discount though work but unsure what it is. $60 of welding rods then $50 for some more drop latches. I recon galvanizing will be another $600 then wood to finish it odd depending on what you want to use.

Tom could you post up a picture of your fan shroud installed? Your deck is coming along nicely!

Not done it yet, radiator is in and had the motor warmed up again. Not sure if I am going to use the viscus fan or a 24v electric one I have used previously. Need to find another fan shroud if I use the viscus as I left my old one down in chch at uni.

Spent so easy time on the truck yesterday and finished the brakes and made the last line up for the PS

Put the roof, windscreen and back panel on after drilling out the old windscreen pins after they would not come out.

20170225_130848.jpg

Replaced the water pump belt and found the tick I though the engine had, though it was the rockers but the water pump pully was loose so I was relieved about that. Ended up going for a drive up the road as I could not resist.

The PS is mint although I think the pump might need a rebuild, breaks are great and there is no difference with the 12ht on 33s. It handles a lot better as there is very little play in the steering now and the suspension/shocks were worth replacing.

Planning on trying to finish the deck today so I can get it off to the galvinisers.

Not a lot of progress as I have been busy with work and other things. Just about finished the flatdeck today, just some hinge pins to go for the sides, will be making those later. Really happy with how it's cone out, will try and get it to the galvinisers this week.

20170312_165307.jpg

Side steps are strong and I tig welded on the drop latches. Got tabs to attach the mud guards and flaps post-galv.

20170312_165352.jpg

Steel bits pile has stated to build up during this rebuild, all comes in handy.

20170312_165412.jpg

Got a promotion at work to forest engineer, which comes with a reasonably new hilux and personal use. Which means I will be selling my pzj70 and I don't have a need for 3 trucks in the driveway......been a good truck but will be able to pay for my 45s body work and paint job.

20170312_165430.jpg

My DD for the next while.

20170312_165436.jpg

new deck looks fantastic mate I might have to put an order in for a new one for my fj75 :) on my deck I put hooks as well as rails down the sides so you don't have to keep threading ropes through the rails to tie stuff down if you aren't using ratchet straps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom