1974 FJ40 NEW Hood Replacement Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

231Designs

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi there -

Been working on my FJ40 to get it ready for paint this spring and I'm on the fence about trying to restore my factory hood (which would need alot of work) - vs buying a new one.

I know that the part has long been discontinued stateside - and Real Steel and CCOT don't seem to offer an aftermarket hood option.

The options that I've come across in my searching (through this forum and online) are:

- NenGun (would be OEM but super $$$$ once shipped)
- Acqualu (would be Fiberglass)
- Ebay of Alibaba - would be steel (but of what quality? - - and no idea of fit quality)

Am I missing another source?

Has anyone been down this road and can offer their thoughts?

Thanks

Ryan

How about finding a clean/straight used hood and striping it?

X2 to what @EWheeler stated above, finding a good used one

Aqualu would be aluminium not fiberglass
Gozzard would be fiberglass

the china stuff has minimums for orders, city racer was bringing some doors? over but no idea on when they will land

X2 to what @EWheeler stated above, finding a good used one

Aqualu would be aluminium not fiberglass
Gozzard would be fiberglass

the china stuff has minimums for orders, city racer was bringing some doors? over but no idea on when they will land
Yes - finding a straight and clean used one is also an option. I guess it just depends on the delta in time between fixing mine - vs fixing someone else’s - which was why I was looking at “new” options.

The Aqualu surprised me - on their website and price sheet they only list the Hood as being available in fiberglass or carbon fiber. Didn’t seem to have an aluminum option.

And yes - I forgot about Gozzard. They are a good fiberglass option as well.

Weird that Aqualu doesn’t have an aluminum. - anyone used their Fiberglass one? It says “only for off-road use” - which I’m sure is a standard disclaimer but makes one pause when this is a daily driver.

Ryan

Yes - finding a straight and clean used one is also an option. I guess it just depends on the delta in time between fixing mine - vs fixing someone else’s - which was why I was looking at “new” options.

The Aqualu surprised me - on their website and price sheet they only list the Hood as being available in fiberglass or carbon fiber. Didn’t seem to have an aluminum option.

And yes - I forgot about Gozzard. They are a good fiberglass option as well.

Weird that Aqualu doesn’t have an aluminum. - anyone used their Fiberglass one? It says “only for off-road use” - which I’m sure is a standard disclaimer but makes one pause when this is a daily driver.

Ryan
Have you seen the Aqualu aluminum hoods? They do not look good. The lines of the nose look more like a Samurai than an FJ. There are some "offroad" fiberglass hoods available, I am not sure if either of these would look "factory" enough if you cut off the fender portion?

FJ 40 HIGHLINE HOOD STOCK DIMENSIONS - https://cdmracing.com/fj-40-highline-hood-stock-dimensions/

Twisted Customs in South Dakota used to make them too, I think they may have been narrower than factory hoods, and I can't find any recent info on them online, its all from early 2000's.

I know your thread title specifically included the word new, but if my used one in the classifieds is in better shape than yours, it’s another option…and it’s in CA.

Go with used or fixed your current one. The steel is designed to crumple in an accident. A fiberglass hood will more likely act like a guillotine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom