For Sale 1972 FJ55 For Sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello –

This is a cross post from the FJ55 Classifieds Corner - I think this section gets a lot more traffic.

I have decided to offer our 1972 FJ55 for sale. It is a complete, mostly original, licensed, running Pig. It also comes with a 1978 2F engine & 4 spd. transmission and some spare parts. It is located in Hailey, Idaho and I may be willing to drive (up to 4-5 hrs.?) to help w/delivery if necessary.

The short answer to why I have decided to sell is that I just haven’t fallen in love with it like I have my other projects.

There is a thread I started about getting it back on the road after being parked for close to 20 years located here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-pig-preservation-society/534198-new-fj55s.html . . . The thread got pretty long, but it covers most of the work I’ve done on it to get it running and back on the road.

The cliff notes version of the story:
I am the second owner (officially on the title at least) and it has lived its entire life in the high desert of Idaho (ie: dry climate). It had been sitting at a friend’s dad’s house for close to 20 years and I decided to make it my “winter project” last winter (‘11/’12) to get it back on the road. My philosophy on bringing it back to life was to focus on making it safe and mechanically sound, clean enough that I don’t cringe every time I have to get inside.

This is a basically stock 1972 FJ55 with the original (rebuilt) engine, 3 spd. trans. & all the bits and pieces. It does have an overdrive installed as well. Just about everything works and everything I’ve taken off of it or bought for it is included. While it is not “rust free”, it has definitely benefited from living its entire life in the high desert – the body, frame, just about everything really, is in remarkable shape.

Some of the highlights of what I’ve done to it include:
New clutch MC & slave cyl. & stainless braided line
Completely rebuilt drum brake system – MC, all brake cylinders, new (rebuilt) booster, stainless lines etc…
Stripped & cleaned the interior
Recovered stock bench seats
New tires
Flushed radiator
Mark’s Offroad rebuilt carb. w/vac. advance mod.
New SloCruisers tailgate window lower seal
New metal tailgate window gear
New door seals (4 @ body)
Dash cap
Installed oil pressure gauge
A list a mile long of little stuff

So what’s it need:
Either nothing, or everything; depends on your perspective. I’ve been driving it for a few months as an around town rig, shuttling kids, getting groceries, driving to work etc… and it’s running and driving well. It starts right up, shifts great, the brakes work great, everything works. That said, I think it would be a perfect candidate for a complete restoration done right due to being such a solid foundation from which to start.

The 1978 2F engine & 4 spd. trans.:
Currently installed and running is the original (rebuilt) 1F and 3 spd. transmission. It starts easily and runs well. I can do compression and leak down tests if necessary. I found a local guy who was selling a 2F and 4 spd. transmission out of a 1978 FJ40 – I bought both, along with a bunch of “extra parts” he had for $450. The transmission needs a seal kit, bearings and the necessary pieces to adapt it to the 3 spd. transfer case. I disassembled the engine and had a machine/engine shop go through everything for me with the intention of reassembling it myself. I have everything back from the machine shop waiting to be reassembled. Including:

Hot tanked all parts
Bore & hone block
Grind crank
Refurbed cam
Recon. rods
Valve job
Surface head
Complete rebuild kit with: New pistons, bearings, oil pump, gaskets etc…
9 qts. of Joe Gibbs break-in oil

The price:
Here’s what it’s worth to me: $5,000 for everything.

The Pig originally cost me $250 (I still need to pay my friend!) I have receipts for about $3900 for parts and pieces for the Pig, not including another $500 or so in consumables. I paid $450 for the motor and 4 spd. trans. and my bill at the machine shop was $2337. So I have about $6937 into it to date – not counting consumables.

Maybe I’m high on life to think that it would be worth $5K to someone else, but that’s my number at the moment.

I’d much rather this Pig be passed on to a MUD member or other enthusiast than J.Q. Public. If you are interested, please send me a PM or email through MUD & I will forward my phone number. Whether you are serious or just kicking tires, I only ask that you are respectful of my time and energy - I am more than happy to take photos of ANYTHING, and discuss ANYTHING about the truck. Please ask any question – I want prospective buyers to know exactly what they are getting and be comfortable before purchasing etc....

It’s a little cumbersome to post a lot of photos here so I uploaded a bunch I took yesterday here: Pictures by TNDabney - Photobucket

Thanks for reading this far!

Tom
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg

Where are you located, buddy? I want that 2F!

FJ55

Interested in the 55 especially without the 2F. Sent an email today waiting for a response. Thanks, Gary S

Sorry about the lack of "Have This Rig" in my question, so let me restate it.

Do you still have this rig available for sale?

Respectfully,

Sorry about the lack of "Have This Rig" in my question, so let me restate it.

Do you still have this rig available for sale?

Respectfully,

Hello,
Yes, everything is still for sale.
Thanks for your interest,
Tom

I am new to all of this and know I must respect your time. You say in your ad. this would be a "perfect candidate for a complete restoration" sound like a solid rig. Would you know off hand how much it may cost to get the F2 four speed installed?

Respectfully

I am new to all of this and know I must respect your time. You say in your ad. this would be a "perfect candidate for a complete restoration" sound like a solid rig. Would you know off hand how much it may cost to get the F2 four speed installed?

Respectfully

I don't know how much it would cost to have someone else assemble and install the 2F and 4 spd. transmission. I was planning to do it myself (basically free!), so I've just paid for parts and machine shop costs. If you don't plan to do the work yourself, I'd suggest getting in touch w/the shop who would be doing the work and ask them directly. Tell them about the ad, what's included etc... I'd be happy to talk to them on the phone to discuss exactly what I have and what's been done etc...

I did request that folks respect my time - mostly to try to encourage only those that are seriously interested to respond. I can kick tires with the best of them, so I know how that goes. I did not mean to discourage folks from responding or posting etc... I am happy to discuss and answer questions etc..

Have a nice day!
Tom

Very good, Hailey Idaho not sure where that’s at I will MapQuest I am in Oregon the Valley Salem.

Question if you were to deliver, driving four to five hours that would be a full commitment on your part, however; if I see the rig and am not ramped up with it that would mean I am in big trouble. So with that in mind can you post additional photos of motor, full photos of around the rig and inside?

Thank you for your openness. This rig looks like a good one the grandkids and sound safe.

Respectfully,

Very good, Hailey Idaho not sure where that’s at I will MapQuest I am in Oregon the Valley Salem.

Question if you were to deliver, driving four to five hours that would be a full commitment on your part, however; if I see the rig and am not ramped up with it that would mean I am in big trouble. So with that in mind can you post additional photos of motor, full photos of around the rig and inside?

Thank you for your openness. This rig looks like a good one the grandkids and sound safe.

Respectfully,

Hailey, Idaho = Sun Valley, Idaho

There is a link to more photos at the bottom of my first post - on Photobucket. I will add photos of the 2F, 4 spd. transmission and the boxes of parts I have etc... - I'll try to do that today, but it may take me until tomorrow. . .

If you don't see a photo on the Photobucket link of something you'd like to see, just ask and I will take and post it for you. I will also PM you my phone number so we can chat further if you'd like.

Thanks,
Tom

Just read through part of your build/resto thread and found the answer to "who the h*** painted it purple?!" Hilarious.

Looks like a square deal - hope it finds a good home.

Hello -

I just added a slew of photos to Photobucket. A bunch are new and a bunch are from my build/rehab thread. Here's a new link:

FJ55 pictures by TNDabney - Photobucket

If you'd like to see something specific that isn't included, please ask!

Thanks,
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom