Builds 1972 FJ40 stretch and refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I took it to the VA4WD association annual trail ride and did some harder stuff, I was still open in front and had to bypass some tougher obstacles. I was by myself and dint really get any pictures. Then I did a lock right in the front along with 35 spline stub axles.

F5FA0F11-CA0A-4178-AEF2-9FF3A8576124.jpeg

B800D2D4-94CA-474A-808B-D12306804307.jpeg

I went to the BBRC fall crawl in Gore, VA. Wow, this thing is a beast with the front locker, a real game changer. I did some really fun and challenging stuff and mostly idled over everything. I love the doubler and all the choices with this setup. Thank you to Tim and the rest of my BBRC brothers who always help this newby do all these cool things.

9B588ECF-663E-40CF-A6EB-DB3DB11A579E.jpeg

9712296C-1D29-46A5-8891-63D61118C8E0.jpeg

C591ADCA-D19E-48E4-8875-BB4955288406.jpeg

AD0279B4-198B-4A30-A43D-E41362847162.jpeg

8C22BFA7-2DC9-4FAA-963E-A1B2F7BDF006.jpeg

Things that need to be done fairly soon:
Shocks
Close in the tunnel
Fix oil leaks (mainly from the crappy valve covers)
Get the rear doors adjusted, painted and installed
Buy and install the “Toyota” and “4wd” badges on the rear
Add some more lighting and cup holders, 12 volt plugs.

Things that need to be done as time and money allow:
Custom make a soft top for the front (pickup style)
Fuel injection
Tunes with wakeboard speakers
Get fresh new seats (same ones- corbeau) with seat heaters
Go wheeling more often!

E129755B-0414-44AB-BC84-F1259FC8B59C.jpeg

E3F7D16D-7154-4E6B-8684-8615DF443C5D.jpeg

0350DA6D-F9C1-41E1-9AD0-648F21E21040.jpeg

A1F4C312-8AFD-47F7-ABDE-7808470CE5CF.jpeg

9DC19D98-1F63-4A7E-A179-27FAA8F9DE52.jpeg

I breezed through this pretty quickly, I will follow up with my improvements and other odds and ends as I complete them. Also, if you have any questions about any specifics or why I did things a certain way, feel free to ask.

4D82A52D-10F7-4642-B790-D80A12BFF94F.jpeg

Nice. thats a lot of work. What's it weigh with that all 3/16" steel tub? Looks like some slightly longer rear springs and more shackle angle would work great for you

Thanks. We figured with the weight of the steel instead of sheet metal and bracing, we added 200 pounds in the rear. I need to get it to the local stone yard and weigh it. Good point on the rear springs, it still has the stock 40 stuff. Maybe some Chevy 63’s or something down the road. It feels really stable on the trails, not heavy or tippy.

Nice recap of the build! I think you need to get those add-a-leaves out and it will flex even better! I am happy it all is working so well. It has been a long time coming. Did you and Tim figure out how long it took to transform it?

Just looked closer and I don’t see any shocks??
Not sure that 63’s would be the best choice for your truck, probably would stick way too far out back and cause departure issues. I’d look into the 48-54” range, like 52” Jeep Xj or Ford Explorer springs for example

X2 on the 63s. They're awesome, but they don't work well in trucks with little rear overhang.

He's got all that nice room now for a double-triangulated four link. Might as well go that route. Ruffstuff and companies like that make kits with everything you need.

Just looked closer and I don’t see any shocks??
Not sure that 63’s would be the best choice for your truck, probably would stick way too far out back and cause departure issues. I’d look into the 48-54” range, like 52” Jeep Xj or Ford Explorer springs for example
Or some 56" from a chevy or dodge Dakota. They're offset, so work well on a 40.

I will let Tony speak up on this but it was more of a Budget Build, use what is already there and add to it. He needed extra room for his drivetrain and wanted room for his kids to ride and still pack a cooler. He achieved that. With the rig stretched ~20" it does not need to flex much but it does. I have wheeled with him four days now in it's current state and have yet to see him lift a tire. Although this is a hardcore build with big tires, tons and a v-8, he has no desire to roll it or break anything on it. It is enjoyable to cruise along the trails and not worry about breakage.

Shocks are needed and hope will be on soon, as budget allows.

I think he gets the most joy in driving his wife into town for ice cream in it, as he should! He really tried to keep this street friendly as much as you can in a build like this, and I think he did that as well. Leaf springs play a big part in that. The extra weight in the back with the thicker steel actually makes it ride better and did not add that much, not having a hard top it about balances it out.

Tony still has some things to finish up on this as he stated above but I am proud of him and Tim getting this ready for Coal Miners this past year and then making a few changes for Fall Crawl. He had a few issues but nothing that kept him from wheeling. I am happy with the way it turned out and has happy to be a small part of the build.

The smile on his face in post #23 says it all. He is so excited to have something like this to wheel and you can see his kids in the back seat with plenty of room. btw that is my little STW 40 in the post above leading the way.

Perfect way to sum it up, Rob. I just got back from a 20 hour drive from Louisiana! You were way more than a small part. As he said, change some will come as time and money allow, but it performs great as is, shocks notwithstanding. It’ll be mostly tucked away for the winter, and it will have some of the items checked off before next spring. Thanks for the interest and suggestions. I’ll stay with leaf springs more than likely, I’m an old school dude.

The wheelbase is 117”, about the same as a 4door JK or an extended cab mini truck/Tacoma. It climbs really well, I’ve never been in a truck this tall that feels so planted and stable.

Thanks. I really like the extra room and stability. And the room for the drivetrain, obviously.

Not a huge update, but I got a deal on some 37/12.50/17 MTR’s and pacer wheels. I took it out on the road, it’s like a different truck with these “street” tires. Smooth and easy even at 60+.
41FC8B6E-E3A2-42EF-AE1E-95C67BD29FFE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom