1971 FJ40 tinkering thread (isn't totally dead) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

First of all I'd like to say thanks for all the help you have given me over the last 12 months. Like many, I'm a longtime reader but wasn't comfortable posting so this is my first.

Here the basic info.
June of 1971 build date
Stock color WAS spring green

Changes made by one of the PO's.
SBC 305 with a SM 465
Disc conversion up front at time of purchase
Power steering upgrade done
metal work and Ford Blue paint

The stuff I've done it the last 12 months with the help of Ih8mud.
Pulled the tranny twice since the transmission shop screwed up a gasket the first time.
Welded in AA cross member mounts. PO had the transfer case held in with scrap metal and bolts.
Installed new motor mounts, blue sea fuse block, City Racer LED headlights.
Fixed the odometer
Freshened up the front disc brakes, pads, rotors, calipers and brake line
coated the gas tank and installed all new fuel line
Had the quadrajet carb rebuilt
and most recently finished @Poser rear disc conversion.
Next week I'm stalling a Best top rear bench seat and new slave cylinder.

There's more but that is the overview of my project so far.

Overall I'm happy with what I've corrected, fixed and learned on this 40 in 12 months. I hadn't wrenched on a vehicle since high school at the time of purchase and that was a longtime ago.

As much as I'd like to take it down to the frame, my goal is to do one project at a time so I can enjoy it with my boys before they grow up and are gone.

Thanks for looking. I'll post up more photos soon but most the work I've done you've already seen photos of on someone else's post. I know since those posts got me to where I am.

Here we go with the photos from a year ago and one of what it looks like now. Yep the bezel was upside down at time of purchase.

FJ.JPG
as_is.JPG
gotithome.JPG

How it looks today.
Late June 2018 (3).JPG

Looks great. You've done a lot of important work that no one can see, but still must be done. You need some stock wheels and hubcaps!

Nice work. Ford blue looks great on a 40!

Looks great. You've done a lot of important work that no one can see, but still must be done. You need some stock wheels and

I considered stock wheels since I really wanted the hub caps but decided on Wheel Vintiques so I could more comfortably run modern tires. I ended up with 255 85 16’s and it drives so much better than the 13.5 33 15’s that we’re on it. I need a stock steering wheel. Those seem hard to find in the PNW.

Well I really suck at doing much more than posting in “what have done to Land Cruiser this week” thread so I going to post a little photo update of things I’ve been doing since July 2018.

@Poser brakes
E2121D14-C18C-41E3-8319-1F3E9B67B3AC.jpeg

Did some quick hinges from @69LC
A6B9C789-E193-4DCC-BDDB-5FAB32A90F2E.jpeg

The vacuum system failed so the twin sticks went in

B8DD68B8-63B8-415C-8A8F-92D1D8639A2D.jpeg

0F367E00-529C-4DAB-9C6E-1ACC8AE15ACF.jpeg
74B48B3C-FC76-4A29-A367-5C0B943D39EE.jpeg

Can anyone tell me why Toyota ran the headlight grounds in series through the ground on the voltage regulator? After a bunch of reading and searching on here last night, my conclusion is just because.

I really like the blue, that was a nice choice. I am intrigued by your diamond plate style front bumper/winch mount. Looks pretty cool. Would you mind posting some additional pics of the bumper from all sides including what you can see of the back side?

Thanks,
Drake

Since it has a SBC 305 that was getting a little hot with the mechanical fan I went ahead and put a Champion 3 row radiator in with a Spal Fan recently as well.
View attachment 2176801View attachment 2176802
How has that 3-row Champion radiator and fan setup been working for you? I know they make a 4-row as well but then some mods are required for the radiator support channel. I have do consider the 3 or 4 row this spring.

Personally not much on diamond plate but, kind of dig your front winch bumper.

Diamond plate isn’t at the top of my list either but it was on the 40 when I bought it. Hopefully when I paint it black it won’t be as noticeable. For now it works so the dollars can go elsewhere. Like these seats and new frame I finished up last week,
ED570F03-44C0-4AD3-8244-6EAC9C3237A2.jpeg
42724B42-7819-4280-9C3F-5293B50E88A1.jpeg

How has that 3-row Champion radiator and fan setup been working for you? I know they make a 4-row as well but then some mods are required for the radiator support channel. I have do consider the 3 or 4 row this spring.

I’ll let know as soon as I get more time behind the wheel. I still have my top off for some interior projects and it’s been pretty nasty up here in the PNW so the drives have been short.

I really like the blue, that was a nice choice. I am intrigued by your diamond plate style front bumper/winch mount. Looks pretty cool. Would you mind posting some additional pics of the bumper from all sides including what you can see of the back side?

Thanks,
Drake

Here are a few close ups of the bumper.
DB89A189-940D-4AB7-90EA-A6B79754B105.jpeg
8A83191A-8960-4826-B751-8A46BAF9DB57.jpeg
011368D1-E67C-4682-96ED-35E34E6550B3.jpeg
823DCB3C-2226-40CA-B984-3F1E28A9B93E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom