1970 FJ40 noobie intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Happened on mine. Get the transfer case seal kit from SOR or City Racer, pull off the d/s and get after it. The coarse spline output shaft needs some FIPG or RTV to seal up properly after you replace the seal, or you'll get more oil coming through. Shaft itself should be fine, good to replace the shoes if you have them, mine were fine after cleaning them up, ymmv. Do the one on the front output as well.

Also can't believe I'm your first :flipoff2:, what is this place coming to...
This is very helpful, thank you. I'll give an update after the weekend.

A common occurance and fairly easy to fix. Georg is the guy for parts for this. I'm running his double seal kit. It could be the parking brake cable too.
Plenty of threads on this, visit the FAQs and learn the search.
That's reassuring. Let's hope that's where the issue lies. Will definitely give George a call, will need the seal kit regardless. I'll give an update once I get started. Thank you!

Also, to the extent that you have not already done so, a Factory Service Manual (FSM) is valuable to have.

I’ve got the Haynes manual.. should I have the FSM too? Thanks!
Yes

Welcome…Nice TLC.

You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for opinions, comments and written manifestos. Search function is you’re friend, although it can be a little tricky. Get a Platinum card, a coffee grinder and never let your Mrs “Design” your garage..

Stay out of “chit chat”. It’s full of semi dysfunctional socially unacceptable types. Before you know it you’ll be hooked on the “posting only the funny and the random redneckness“ threads while binge drinking warm IPA’s. 😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom