1969 FJ40 Project Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've always wanted to do an FJ40 restoration and finally pulled the trigger a few days ago on a nearly complete and running 69'. This particular specimen attracted me because it was wasn't chopped up, had the original drivetrain, and had under 100k documented original miles which is pretty incredible considering its age. It has a bit more rust than I would have hoped for but it's certainly salvageable. The car spent the vast majority of its life in Arizona (from at least 1976-2010) and was sold to someone on the central coast of CA who bought it with the hopes of restoring it but never got around to it.

I hope to document the restoration in this thread and plan to ask for advice along the way. I'm in no way an a seasoned FJ mechanic but have had a few FJ62's and done quite a bit of wrenching on BMWs. Please excuse any amateur questions I might ask!

Updates may be sparse as I'm currently doing a large renovation of my house including a 1200SF addition. That being said, I'm not expecting the FJ40 restoration go quickly but I'd like to do it right and my ultimate goal is to have something the closely resembles what rolled out of the factory in Japan. Here it goes with a few starting pictures!
photo 1.jpg
00A0A_ifxIW9K0MT_600x450.jpg
photo 5.jpg
photo 3.jpg

A few more photos showing its original condition. Most exciting was the meticulous maintenance log kept by the 2nd owner from 1976-2010. Details are down to the number of grease pumps in each grease zurk. I'm now the 4th owner.
photo 5.jpg
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg

interesting spot for the rear heater :)

(the thing mounted next to the battery)

looks like a good cruiser

Definitely. The PO said it was moved because the heat it gave off in the cabin was unbearable in the Arizona heat. It's one of my first projects on the list.

Where's the correct placement with the bench seat configuration?

It has a bit more rust than I would have hoped for but it's certainly salvageable.

This should make anyone on the east coast or the Midwest burst into laughter. Looks like a great start - and I love the rear heater's new location!

It has a bit more rust than I would have hoped for but it's certainly salvageable.

This should make anyone on the east coast or the Midwest burst into laughter. Looks like a great start - and I love the rear heater's new location!

Can't argue with that! I guess I've always been spoiled with CA cars.

Definitely. The PO said it was moved because the heat it gave off in the cabin was unbearable in the Arizona heat. It's one of my first projects on the list.

Where's the correct placement with the bench seat configuration?

Forty year FJ40 owner here in AZ. I've installed a rear heater as it was a option. there should be a threaded shut off valve where heater hose attaches to the cylinder head. easier to shut than off than relocate the heater. here is the factory location of the rear heater in a 10/69 70 model with bench seats.
bench console 003.jpg

Less rust than mine and yours came running (mine didn't).

Congrats! Did you feel like you got it for a fair price?

Forty year FJ40 owner here in AZ. I've installed a rear heater as it was a option. there should be a threaded shut off valve where heater hose attaches to the cylinder head. easier to shut than off than relocate the heater. here is the factory location of the rear heater in a 10/69 70 model with bench seats.

Very helpful, thanks for the photo!

Less rust than mine and yours came running (mine didn't).

Congrats! Did you feel like you got it for a fair price?

Thanks, I'm very excited about it. I paid $6800 so I feel like I got a decent deal considering all the positives (mileage, originanality, etc.)

I would suggest making a list of parts your going to need. Last time I checked tail lights, bib lights, bumperettes were still available from the dealer. Same with the hub caps. If it's going to be a slow restore by the time you need the part they make be NLA. The bumperettes with a mud discount were cheap enough I wouldn't bother straightening or buying used. Same with hub caps and bib lights.

I could be wrong but the rearview mirror looks larger than stock. As for the A/C might see how well it works. Most aren't the greatest in a metal box with no insulation. If it's not a DD and being in SF might want to go back to stock. Parts should be easy to find. I personally like the stock look better than the after market unit hanging below the dash. 79 and later had a A/C but didn't require removing the stock heater.

Looks just like my late '69. I just started my restoration last fall. Lets keep in touch and trade notes. You paid WAY more than I did for mine :)

...via IH8MUD app

I would suggest making a list of parts your going to need. Last time I checked tail lights, bib lights, bumperettes were still available from the dealer. Same with the hub caps. If it's going to be a slow restore by the time you need the part they make be NLA. The bumperettes with a mud discount were cheap enough I wouldn't bother straightening or buying used. Same with hub caps and bib lights.

I could be wrong but the rearview mirror looks larger than stock. As for the A/C might see how well it works. Most aren't the greatest in a metal box with no insulation. If it's not a DD and being in SF might want to go back to stock. Parts should be easy to find. I personally like the stock look better than the after market unit hanging below the dash. 79 and later had a A/C but didn't require removing the stock heater.

I'll definitely be starting a massive parts list. I just placed an order for some of the turn signals and some basic parts to make it more road worthy during the restoration.

Correct on the rearview mirror. The PO put a boat rearview mirror on it, so it'll be replaced with time. The PO also said it had stock AC - was this not correct and was this only available as an add on for 1969?

To add to the fun, I picked out another 69' FJ40 for my father in law this weekend. Will be picking it up in a few weeks and will post more pics.

Looks just like my late '69. I just started my restoration last fall. Lets keep in touch and trade notes. You paid WAY more than I did for mine :)

...via IH8MUD app
Absolutely! It'll need to be a collaborative process to bring this thing together.

Anyone know where I can get the air filter gasket between the lid and the housing? Apparently this has been discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom