1968 FJ40 Dash Panel Dilemma (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like most here, I'm saddled with the multitude of sins from previous owners' "hillbilly" body modifications to a late model FJ40.

In my off-frame project, I'm mating a 1968 FJ40 tub to a 1978 FJ40 frame using its 2F powerplant (rebuilt) and 4 speed drive train(rebuilt). I'll also convert this FJ to power steering. Given my progress to date, I should have all the big ticket items (e.g., body, 2F, transmission) repaired, painted, and assembled by this Summer.

As of today, the major repairs are complete on the 1968 FJ40 body except for deciding how to proceed with the dash panel repairs.

Based on my count, the previous owners placed an additional four holes on the dash not including the enlargement of the ashtray opening to house a cassette player stereo. Moreover, I'm using an earlier model steering column so the floor dimmer switch isn't required.

I've seen great use of stainless steel on various FJ40s' dash panels and this seems to be a reasonable solution given the cost of securing every vintage switch and knob.

Before I have my body guy metal patch every alteration or holes no longer necessary and begin to locate these expensive switches, can anyone suggest other viable options for the dash panel?
1968 Dash Panel.jpg
1968 Dash Panel 2.jpg

Since you're not restoring it - id consider leaving the radio hole as is. In my 68, the radio is in the glove compartment - protected from theft and the elements, but not exactly convenient. It looks to me that a dash pad would cover up most of the other extra holes

might want to search on this topic a bit.... many people here have already posted ideas (with pictures) for diamond plate, steel, plastic, even wood, etc... to cover holes, make new dashes, make switch panels, cover radio holes (or turn to CB holes), etc.

might want to search on this topic a bit.... many people here have already posted ideas (with pictures) for diamond plate, steel, plastic, even wood, etc... to cover holes, make new dashes, make switch panels, cover radio holes (or turn to CB holes), etc.
I've done as much (i.e., search the forum) and collected quite a few dash panel shots - probably the source of my dilemma.

What I didn't see, as much, in the various threads is a discussion on the relative cost to restore it before you ought to consider metal fabrication options.

Perhaps my dash panel isn't that bad and getting it metal patched is the prudent course of action.

I'm starting to warm to keeping the radio slot now but opens a can of worms in where to place the speakers.

I second crushr, if you aren't going for the factory restore, just fill 'em up with stuff. I wish I had a hole to put a stereo in. The PO on my truck did a number on my dash too.....I think it had one of those police style gun racks mounted to it. I just said screw it and I'm filling the holes in with switches.......and one of those kick ass cruiser crap bottle openers for my Green River soda!

As far as speaker locations...there are a lot of different options that I've seen. I've seen some down by the kick panels, some in custom center consoles, attached to the role bar and/or some in the seat head-rests. Get some seats out some late model sports car and a lot of times they have the speakers built in.

I agree with everyone above, As it isn't going to be a show truck, leave the holes and fill them with dummy switches or something that looks cool. No reason to spend $$$$ fixing something that doesn't affect the ride.

As far as speaker locations...there are a lot of different options that I've seen. I've seen some down by the kick panels, some in custom center consoles, attached to the role bar and/or some in the seat head-rests. Get some seats out some late model sports car and a lot of times they have the speakers built in.

I agree with everyone above, As it isn't going to be a show truck, leave the holes and fill them with dummy switches or something that looks cool. No reason to spend $$$$ fixing something that doesn't affect the ride.
I'm convinced now too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom