Builds 1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

krzyabncanuck said:
Matt, your thread has helped me alot for my own 45lwb truck rebuilding. I'm not as far along as you but should hopefully be close in a few months.

Wheres your build up thread ;)

Matt

HIJACK
That's the "gumption trap"! I've read that book at least 15 times since I was 16...English teacher came up to me one day and said "Steve, I've tried to read this book a couple times, and I just don't get it. But I think you would." He was right :D Matt, you *will* get lot out of it, everyone on this board would...
HIJACK OFF

unstable_geek said:
Might sound weird, but there is a book called "Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance" and it has a good discussion of things that can rob you of your motivation, he talks about getting "stuck" and suggests ways to prevent getting "Stuck" or how to get "unstuck".

[p.s. that book is fantastic, and it really has nothing to do with motorcycles, more about the philosphy of modern life]

buckroseau said:
Hopefully should have that book tonight if the wife can find it today in Dallas :)

She should be able to get it at any Barnes & Noble. Call ahead.

SYNOPSIS
The extraordinary story of a man's quest for truth. It will change the way you think and feel about your life The cycle you're working on is a cycle called 'yourself,' Robert M. Pirsig says. The study of the art of motorcycle maintainence is really a study of the art of rationality itself. Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind. The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon. The book details a cross-country motorcycle trip by a man and his 11-year-old son, as well as his quest for truth.

FROM THE CRITICS

New York Times
Profoundly important... full of insights into our most perplexing contemporary dilemmas... It is intellectual entertainment of the highest order.

-B-

buckroseau said:
Wheres your build up thread ;)

Matt

Hope Darin doesn't mind me posting this for him:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=53893

I think TV is a huge thing as you stated. My slack self watches a good 3-4hrs min a night. Think if I could put that into my 62. (With alot of cash, but not sure where thats gunna come from. :) )
Looking fwd to seeing paint next week!!

theSherpa said:
That's the "gumption trap"! I've read that book at least 15 times since I was 16

Yep - the gumption trap. So awesome that it is known :) I too have read that book dozens of times, in fact, I have bought it half a dozen times, and given it away to people who I think would get something out of it.

buckroseau said:
his columns are more about the person or philosphy of owning a Landcruiser, vs the Landcruiser itself

In the book, the main guy's friend buys an expensive BMW motorcycle mostly for the fact that it is reliable, and he wont have to "tinker" with it. By contrast, the central character enjoys riding his old "nuts and bolts sound" motorcycle mostly for that fact that he does have to "tinker" with it.

Huge parrallels with owning a landcruiser I think.

I just got rid of the Acura RSX-S I loved, and have kept the cruiser. Some people think a step down (it is speedwise!) but I disagree.

Ok - back to the LV resto!

-Jake

Not a ton of pics, but a few of todays 83 FJ60 action. Pretty much a 12 hour day working on it.

Shot of the engine compartment after the old motor was removed. Then some shots of the old motor on the right and the new black motor on the left.

We had to remove most, if not all of the accesories off the old motor and bolt them onto the new motor. Couple issues with some gaskets, but I think we should be able to work through them.

Actually got the new motor back in tonight, but didn't get any pics because it was dark. Most of the day went really good, but man did we get our ass kicked the last 3 hours trying to get that output shaft on the tranny back onto the clutch. Just didn't want to go, but after a lot of choice words and enough force, it finally went.

Hopefully a few pics of it moving tomorrow, hopefully this engine is decent and works. Supposedly did out of the parts rig it came out off?

Matt
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG

last 3
IMG_2271.JPG
IMG_2273.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG

And by the way.....wife picked up that book today. Might try to polish off a chapter or 2 this evening before bed, well see?

I'm actually looking forward to reading it and I don't get a chance to read to many books. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, Matt
IMG_2280.JPG

Hey Matt;
My trick for lining up bellhousings/input shafts is to have two, or preferably four extra long trans to bell house bolts. Once you get within an 1 1/2 or so of gap b/t trans and bellhouse, use the longer bolts, and a ruler (or eyeball it) to pull them together maintaining a contstant and even gap as you go.
Alternatively, metric threded rod in the bellhouse can be used as a guide to slide the tranny on straight and clean. Works like a charm.

89s rule said:
Hope Darin doesn't mind me posting this for him:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=53893

I think TV is a huge thing as you stated. My slack self watches a good 3-4hrs min a night. Think if I could put that into my 62. (With alot of cash, but not sure where thats gunna come from. :) )
Looking fwd to seeing paint next week!!

Looked through a couple pages quickly, thanks for the link, looks good!!

Makes me want a lwb even more now ;p

Matt

Chef said:
Hey Matt;
My trick for lining up bellhousings/input shafts is to have two, or preferably four extra long trans to bell house bolts. Once you get within an 1 1/2 or so of gap b/t trans and bellhouse, use the longer bolts, and a ruler (or eyeball it) to pull them together maintaining a contstant and even gap as you go.
Alternatively, metric threded rod in the bellhouse can be used as a guide to slide the tranny on straight and clean. Works like a charm.

Allan,

I thought of that also while I was underneath there.....But, unfortunetly Wedneday night, I wasn't to sure if I could round up some metric bolts. ;)

I will definetely keep that in mind for the next time.

Thanks, Matt

Last edited:
Matt, thanks for the compliments on my build going on right now. I posted in the NC one because i thought it would wake up that crowd, but i think they are still sleeping. Should of posted over here to begin with, but then again did not think i was going to do as much as i am doing.

Your still doing a damn fine job if i don't say so myself though. I just wish i had the shop space, but that will come at the next house. Trying to move somewhere in TN soon hopefully.

krzyabncanuck said:
Matt, thanks for the compliments on my build going on right now. I posted in the NC one because i thought it would wake up that crowd, but i think they are still sleeping. Should of posted over here to begin with, but then again did not think i was going to do as much as i am doing.

Your still doing a damn fine job if i don't say so myself though. I just wish i had the shop space, but that will come at the next house. Trying to move somewhere in TN soon hopefully.

Sorry, quick hijack....Darin....your truck looks awesome.

End hijack.

Matt....time to get back to the 45, I wanna see whats next! Every bloody day I look to see what is new on this thread. Thanks for documenting it so well.

Adam

Kinda in a hurry here, but figured I better post some pics. Started this morning, had to make a few runs to the auto parts store, but by 2:00 pm she was purring like a kitten.

Since I was in Dallas we made a run over to cool cruisers of texas. I had been there about 3 years ago, but need a couple little things and so did my brother in law so we shot over there. Picked up what we needed and then back to the FJ60. Time we got back, got the hood on then we had to drive it to the car wash and take a few pics, it was dark :) .

But, took a few anyway. Pics of the 83 FJ60 with the drive way motor swap in a day and a half.

Plan on flying down in a while to do the suspension swap now ;)

Matt
IMG_2283.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2284.JPG

last 3
IMG_2290.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG
IMG_2289.JPG

MadmanCruiser said:
Sorry, quick hijack....Darin....your truck looks awesome.

End hijack.

Matt....time to get back to the 45, I wanna see whats next! Every bloody day I look to see what is new on this thread. Thanks for documenting it so well.

Adam

I should be back given'r on the lv by Monday night. :)

Matt

Great old trick someone showed me years ago, like the metric rod.

Are you taping off from the jambs when painting the exterior and is so are you melting are polishing out the tape line?

Rob

Chef said:
Hey Matt;

Radd Cruisers said:
Great old trick someone showed me years ago, like the metric rod.

Are you taping off from the jambs when painting the exterior and is so are you melting are polishing out the tape line?

Rob

Yes and yes.

Matt

Darn...i hate when this happens. I was hoping to see more work done on the 45lv not a 60 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom