Builds 1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Texican said:
OK I looked back is that a T 400 or some other trans?
If it is a T400 several guys have ground and mig'd a section in the pan to clear, if it's any other trans.......I'm out, I've only done T350's and they clear fine.....

700R4, I'm thinking it should clear with the smaller yoke, at least that's what it looks like?

not sure if this helps at all but my old 71 fj40 had a 350 and a th400 the drive shaft was cut and a smaller size pipe was welded in where it came close to the pan. worked fine and never hit.

mike
PICT0059.jpg
PICT0051.jpg

lx450landcruiser said:
not sure if this helps at all but my old 71 fj40 had a 350 and a th400 the drive shaft was cut and a smaller size pipe was welded in where it came close to the pan. worked fine and never hit.

mike

It all helps! I appreciate the pics and the comments :)

I know my stock yoke won't work right now, so I for sure have to get the smaller set up. After I get that I'm going to measure up and have the drive shaft made to the correct length with that new yoke on it. If it doesn't clear the pan at that point I'm going to notch or taper the pan as needed. I don't think I'm going to need to, but if I do have to move the pan, it won't be much.

Thanks, Matt

The UPS driver (or santa as I like to call him) dropped something off today from Advanced Adapters. Part # 716371, that yoke kit to clear the GM tranny. I didn't think the tubing was going to be welded to it?

Going to try to head up to my buddies tonight and install that new flange and measure up for the new drive shaft. No one in the town I live in mods driveshafts, but there is a machine shop about 60 miles away that does. Wife is heading through there on Friday morning so going to try to send them with her with some #'s.

Should be done maybe the same day. Not that I need them right now, but 1 less thing I have to do. :)

Matt
MVC-003S.JPG

piggie tailgate strikers went in the mail at noon today, so you'll be getting something from the Easter bunny before long ;)

Steve

theSherpa said:
piggie tailgate strikers went in the mail at noon today, so you'll be getting something from the Easter bunny before long ;)

Steve

Sweet! Thanks again. Now I can give Mike a set back :D

Matt

Ran up to my buddies place tonight to work on the driveshaft(s). Pulled off the old flange and installed the new one I got with the kit from AA. Fit absolutley perfect :) Then I was able to bolt up the new drive shaft and extended it out to the axle flange. Took a few pics, but the yoke and shaft clear everything fairly well, I don't see a problem.

Took measurements from flange face to flange face on the front and rear. Front driveshaft will be 37 1/2" . The rear driveshaft measured 28 1/4".

Wife is going to be dropping them off at the machine shop on Friday, should have them back the next week.

Also brought up the bucket seats out of the 79 FJ40. I cut a couple 2 x 4's just to set in there and get the idea. Keep in mind that those seats if used will be taken apart down to everything, blasted, repainted and re-uplostered in matching colors. I have an idea for a mount, but I think you get the idea. I sat in there, seemed pretty good as far as height, might have to be moved back a couple inches?

I really hadn't considered the idea of bucket seats until I saw that one in TLC in california a month ago. I was planning on using the stock bench, but I thought that one looked nice?

Thought I would see what you guys thought?

Matt
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG

more
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG

last
MVC-006S.JPG
12.JPG

This is a rough sketch of what I'm thinking my seat mounting bracket would look like.

Matt
seat.JPG

buckroseau said:
I really hadn't considered the idea of bucket seats until I saw that one in TLC in california a month ago. I was planning on using the stock bench, but I thought that one looked nice?

Thought I would see what you guys thought?

Matt
I like bucket seats in a Cruiser. I would recommend different buckets than the '79 seats though. I thought the '75-78 buckets were more comfortable but then the seats from a car (Volvo, Honda or whatever) are probably nicer than any Cruiser seat. If your plan is to drive it then the seats HAVE to be comfortable IMHO.

Nick

Gonna have to second Zebra here - I took out the '79 seats the PO had installed in my '76 40 and went with Celica buckets. Man are they an improvement over those old seats, the cruiser ones just done cut it even in the '79-'83 adjustable variation. Since you're recovering and making custom brackets anyway - I say get something that's comfortable! Your bracket idea would be the same -

Here's mine ($80 from the bone yard - '94 Celica):

CelicaSeats.jpg

Projects looking great man!

Tucker

BTW: These have adjustable height too for the wifey!

Old station wagons are supposed to have full bench seats. Just my opinion, but I'm not too practical.

I have the stock bench seats in my 55, 45 and 40 and wouldn't change them.

It was a tough decision, and not set in stone either. Months ago if someone would have mentioned using buckets, I would have thought they were crazy. I was sold on using that cheezy lv bench seat, I just thought it had to be in there.

But, the comfort thing had started roaming around in my mind a little. And then after I went to TLC about a month ago and saw that one in there shop with buckets........I didn't think it looked that bad?

The more I thought about it, and as I've said from the begining....this vehicle is going to get used and I want it to be a LOT!!! The more I thought about it the buckets seemed to make more sense.

I can see both point of views. I'm sure it's similiar to the engine package I have in there......I know for a fact there a few of you who think I'm going to hell for that one :D

Matt

Last edited:
I put Celica buckets in my 55, then proceeded to spend 15,000 miles in them in the course of two months. I have never had any problems riding in those things; I love 'em!

Edit: Inspiring build by the way. :beer:

Seat Choices

buckroseau said:
I'm sure it's similiar to the engine package I have in there......I know for a fact there a few of you who think I'm going to hell for that one :D

Matt

Nah, not hell, purgatory maybe :)

Now if you were doing a true, 'down to the chalk marks' resto I would say yes, to Cruiser hell you should go, but you have stated from the beggining that this truck will be a daily driver for the wife. Some things have to be sacrificed in the name of safety, looks and comfort. Speaking of safety, what kind of seat belts are you planning to install? This decision may have some bearing on your choice of seat. I think I would let her sit in the bench seat and a few buckets and see what she thinks. Her driving position is going to be a lot different than yours :)

Coolerman said:
Speaking of safety, what kind of seat belts are you planning to install? This decision may have some bearing on your choice of seat.

I was planning on using the seatbelts out of the 79 also. The look pretty good and seem to work good. They will need some polishing and I was thinking of dying the fabric on the belts again, but I thought they would work well.

Plus, I have them already and the price is right :)

I think I might continue on with the 79 seats even with everybody's objection's to them. I realize there probably not my first choice either, but I think once tore apart and re-upolstered they will look good. As far as comfort.......I guess if there that bad they will be coming out? If I do change seats down the rode it won't be that big of deal. I can always go back to the stock bench since I'm not changing anything in the floor, and if I want different buckets I may have to modify or make a new mount for that.

Matt

You could always go to 60 series or 80 series seats, and then it would still be Cruiser, and maybe a little more comfy :)

EDIT: Ooh 1000th post on this thread and my 100th post total...cool :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom