SOLD 1965 FJ45 LPB License Plate Light Lens ** see picture (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
Year
Lens is built into tailight. I have the one that came out but looks like it is melted / misshapen. It does not have a normal part number. It had a lot of strip caulk around it and seems too small so I am thinking it is not original. My parts book says it should be part # 81270-36010 Anyone have a source / idea for a replacement? I guess I would buy a tailight assembly if someone has that.

Lens markings are: L1596 Koto Japan

Thank you..

IMG_3947.jpeg

Last edited:
Chris,

99% of those clear lenses are/were melted from the running lamp bulb. The lens was double-curved to match the metal lamp bucket housing, had a molded rubber gasket, and three tiny machine screws with formed threaded metal "nut" pieces that clamped the lens on the inside. Doubtful that the other lens shown would fit correctly.

As I need several of the correct lenses myself, I have given thought to flat-cutting some Lexan, hand-carving a molding buck out of wood, and carefully baking in an oven until the Lexan slowly sagged onto the wooden form. Not high on my to-do list right now, but that's the plan unless someone else beats me to it, and hopefully creates extras we all can purchase. Running a low-heat LED lamp would prevent future problems--hopefully.

These early 45 lpb lamps were also used on the Toyota Stout pickup, and some early Australian 40 series. The later 45 pickups used the commonly-seen wider three-color tail lamps as on the 40 series, and so their rear valence had wider openings stamped into them to accommodate. These wider lamps could be used in your case if satisfied with them sitting flush on the valence surface, and not inset.

Other option is to use two of the non-license window lamp buckets, and a separate and different license lamp setup for the rear license plate, as was used on the later 45 pickups.

Because I am OCD and tinker with stuff, pls let me know if you decide against using your lamp bucket, and I would consider buying it from you.

Thank you for the insight! I know the other lens I pictured would not fit and need to be modified. So far after thinking about it I think my best option is to make a "block off plate" for the old license plate light area. Then add some other type of application like you mentioned.

If you decide to make / fashion a new one I am sure myself and others would be in for a buy. I do have all the screws and angle holding pieces for the original lens.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Chris..

I made one in a similar way as Bear mentioned. Lexan cut to size then placed it inside tail light housing and used a heat gun to help push it into shape. Not super pretty but works.
Making a wooden buck would probably be a good way to go to get a better homemade product.

As I wait for smarter people @Bear @tahoe40/45 to fabricate a new lens, I made a crude "work around". Unfortunately I will had to buy a new pair of saftey glasses. In case you cannot tell I cut out one lens and that is my temporary light cover for the license plate light. I know I know, ugly, but temporary.

IMG_4052.jpeg

IMG_4053.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom