Builds 1964 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

62 Dust Collector said:
Did you rebuild the T-Case yourself or did you take it to some one?

Did it myself.

It turned out not being as bad as I thought it would be.
(Toyota Repair Manuel helped alot)

Started working on the Front Axle next....
Copy (2) of P1010004 - MUD.jpg
Copy (2) of P1010005 - MUD.jpg
Copy (2) of P1010006_edited - MUD.jpg

Man, that is coming along really good. Keep us updated and keep those pics comin.

I started going through the brakes next..

Put all new:
-wheel cylinders
-shoes
-return springs

And on the drums and drum plates I did a little prep with a wire wheel, then painted them with a galvanizing compound, and then a high temp paint.
P1010010 - MUd.jpg
P1010011 - MUD.jpg
P1010009 - MUD.jpg

After the two axles I took the tranny (TH350) to be rebuilt. As I came to find out I didn't have some of the special tools needed.

I used a Raptor rebuilt kit, so I guess it can be considered a Raptor Transmission.

This is a pic of the T-case and tranny installed along with the axles, suspension, and driveshafts, steering, and Mini - truck powersteering.
P1010026 - MUD.jpg

are you leaving the ball and claw front end in the truck with a 350 .... i mean i know that the ball and claw stuff it pretty strong but 350 strong?

Do you have your own parts washer to wash all your T-Case parts and what not for your axle? And yes why didn't you go with a newer style front end?

rogersfj401969 said:
are you leaving the ball and claw front end in the truck with a 350 .... i mean i know that the ball and claw stuff it pretty strong but 350 strong?

I guess i should of read a bit more

406 SBC "Muy Torque" - Completely Rebuilt

I'm really not to worried about the brakes. I know that I will have to push hard to stop, but it's a Landcruiser not a Camry.

I also know that the front axle is weak, especially with the 406. I left it open diff in hopes to keep it together. When I was done rebuilding the front that is when I discovered that it is not that strong. So for now I'am going to go by the saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broken."

my64fj40

62 Dust Collector said:
Do you have your own parts washer to wash all your T-Case parts and what not for your axle? And yes why didn't you go with a newer style front end?

I used alot of solvent, a wire brush, a file, and a bunch of time.

It was so dirty when I dropped it from the chassis I couldn't tell it was aluminum, except for it being susprising light.

I'll try to get a few more pics tonight.

-my64fj40

Was the POR 15 Grey and Black Chassis Coat paint on, roll on or spray on? Soon as I get moved I am taking the old 62' down to the frame!

my64fj40 said:
I'm really not to worried about the brakes. I know that I will have to push hard to stop, but it's a Landcruiser not a Camry.

I also know that the front axle is weak, especially with the 406. I left it open diff in hopes to keep it together. When I was done rebuilding the front that is when I discovered that it is not that strong. So for now I'am going to go by the saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broken."

my64fj40

It might be something to consider to go with at least front wheel disc brakes, seeing as you are running 35" tires. At least do it for safety reasons. Looks like you are doing a nice job on your build up, cant wait to see it done.

35" tires with drum brakes = :crybaby: :doh:

Fman

62 Dust Collector said:
Was the POR 15 Grey and Black Chassis Coat paint on, roll on or spray on? Soon as I get moved I am taking the old 62' down to the frame!

I bought it and the can said it can be applied either way. I ended up rolling/brushing it on. It goes on so soomth that it looks like it was sprayed on..

Good luck with your cruiser, does your's have the old school hard top with it. Personally I think the old top look the best.

-my64fj40

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom