1960 DOA FJ25 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did a few things before i pulled the FJ25 out this fall.

I put a FJ40 skid plate on. I cut it down to be same size as FJ25 skid plate

Fixed up rear view mirror.

The striker plate on a FJ40 is different than a FJ25 HT so i made my own safety strap mount so i could be safer with the doors off. :)
View attachment 3137356View attachment 3137357View attachment 3137358View attachment 3137359View attachment 3137360View attachment 3137361
I see you got the mirror apart what was involved to get that to happen, your help would be appreciated

I see you got the mirror apart what was involved to get that to happen, your help would be appreciated
Here is some information on the mirror.

Getting ready to pull the FJ25 out of storage for the summer.
Going to change the oil, but was wondering what everyone else is running in their F engine? I have been using 20w50 for years, just curious what everyone else is using.

I used to use Accel brand, i think 10w40, but i haven't been able to get it for years. chose that one because as cheap as it was, it had the highest zinc content and a decent amount of lead too, good for engines built for leaded gas.

I’m contemplating going to 20w50 cuz of my low-ish oil pressure at idle, but not sure if it’s better oil “circulation“ with the 10w30 diesel oil I’m currently running now or if the heavier oil will even help. If I do go heavier, I’m thinking this Amazon product ASIN B09QXWLY2Y.

Is this an F125 motor? What’s the oil capacity, and does it have an oil cleaner or filter?

I’m contemplating going to 20w50 cuz of my low-ish oil pressure at idle, but not sure if it’s better oil “circulation“ with the 10w30 diesel oil I’m currently running now or if the heavier oil will even help. If I do go heavier, I’m thinking this Amazon product ASIN B09QXWLY2Y.

Is this an F125 motor? What’s the oil capacity, and does it have an oil cleaner or filter?
Its a F135 with old school paper filter.

What’d you decide?

Fixed a few things this weekend. Drivers seat frame was bent a little, looks like it was dropped at some point as it was taken in and out of Cruiser.
Also PO had welded upper door bows to windshield frame, so original bows were ruined. I thought the bows i got were off of a FJ25 but they were the newer early FJ40 type.
IMG_6718.jpeg
IMG_7759.jpeg
IMG_7762.jpeg
IMG_7768.jpeg

Im looking for an early hard top visor if anyone has one laying around?? Its the metal bracket that rivets to hard top to connect to windshield frame.
IMG_7763.jpeg

So a little bad news, just discovered that when i had the engine rebuilt they put in the wrong camshaft. No holes in the section of camshaft where oil passes through to deliver oil to the rocker assembly.
I think im lucky, i only have about 200ish miles on the engine since it was rebuilt, it never overheated, it sounds great and runs strong.

I have never dug too deep into a engine before, but im hoping that i can just pull out the camshaft and install a correct one with the engine still in the Cruiser.

Can it be that simple or is there more to replacing the camshaft than just pulling incorrect one out and putting in a correct one? Hoping someone has the answer.

Did some more research and found answer. Going to pull cam out and possibly drill the holes myself. Hopefully that works.

Last edited:
Antony, how do you know its wrong? No oil to the rockers? Later cam? Did they tell you?Yes, the cam can be replaced without removing the engine.

Antony, how do you know its wrong? No oil to the rockers? Later cam? Did they tell you?Yes, the cam can be replaced without removing the engine.
Yes, no oil at rockers. I went to just the valves for first time since the rebuild and the whole top of head was dry, only assembly grease and some dust that was let in from older valve cover vents.
Copper tube was good, then i took out the tube above the cam bearing and watched as a friend turned engine over and couldn't see any holes in cam.

Thanks for the reply Brian

I would drill the needed hole in the cam that has already been run with the lifters Antony. More so since they broke in together with poor lubrication.

I would drill the needed hole in the cam that has already been run with the lifters Antony. More so since they broke in together with poor lubrication.
Hi you could put an oil groove right around cam get oil all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom