Early rear view mirror glass replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tahoe40/45

SILVER Star
Threads
I was reading a thread in the classifies where Cruiser Nerd had mentioned replacing glass on the early rear view mirrors. Im in the middle of doing this right now, so i thought i would share what i have done.

First i media blasted the back of mirror to clean up the seam. Then i pried the seam open a little with a screwdriver, but only on one side. Next i was able to pop the collar or piece that holds the mirror in up and away from the main frame. Then i was able to slide it off freeing the glass.
I have new glass and cork to put it back together, but I'm going to get both pieces zink plated before i do that.
The plan is to put new cork in then the new glass (maybe cover glass with blue painters tape) then slide the cover back on and snap it back into place. Then press/roll the pried up part back down.

IMG_3946.jpg

Last edited:
Oh heck, I never looked that close. That should work great. I had assumed the front was rolled on the glass.

Cool, and you can fix that next biggest problem with these as well, the ball frozen with rust!

Finally got a chance to put rear view mirror back together.

I bought some self-adhesive cork liner to replace the cork padding for the mirror.

I added some grease to the ball to make adjusting mirror easier.

Reassembled it in reverse, it took some convincing with a small screwdriver to get the last part of the outer frame-ring back over the main frame of the RVM. For the last part i put the RVM, mirror side down on the table, then added some pressure with my hand to the back of the RVM, then with the small screwdriver i pried the two pieces together.

Then carefully, tapped the outer ring back into shape with a body hammer.

IMG_0276.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg
IMG_0278.jpg
IMG_0279.jpg
IMG_0280.jpg

Last edited:
excellent job and great informative resource!! Got any extras lying around?????

Outstanding post and write up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom