Builds 1958 project Sundune (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll need spares to restore, my early 40 came with generic pull cables. The dash had marker written above the blank knobs to tell which was choke. Don't want to turn this thread into a want ad... I'll get there when my $$$ replenishes. Love seeing the restored stuff folks have ready to put on these trucks
Shoot me a message when your ready.

Gabe, not being negative but since you are
also taking it as a documenting project:

Reflectors were not Koito factory on the 25. for the US and most markets they were port or dealer installed with local parts.

The knurled outside edge and the inside attachment of the fuel cap tell me Land Rover with a TEQ logo.

That is what the good parents do ... it’s called a scrapbook :)

That is a very early speedo ... where did you find that?
That speedometer actually came in my 1958 FJ25. It is the first 1958 FJ25 known to exist. Earliest that is. It was missing the bezel which I knew would be difficult to find. I was searching mud one day and saw a member had posted a photo of the original speedo bezel on a newer cluster. I reached out to him, made a stupid offer, (since I knew I would not find another), and purchased it. He felt it should be on the correct truck which I am grateful for.

what’s the back story on the name?
No clue really. It seems naming them is common now days. The paint color according to @treerootCO early Toyota paint book was called Sundune. I thought it was Coronado Beige or Colorado Beige. Anyway decided to go with it.

Note on the original speedo. If you look at it the needle is pretty rough. Restoring it would be difficult so I started searching photos of early Toyota or Denso speedometers for reference. I noticed that the early Toyopet models had similar speedometer needles and internals. So I started my hunt for a 1958 Toyopet cluster for parts. After months of searching I found one in New York. Purchased it, and now it will be my parts cluster. It will be difficult to tear it apart since it’s rare too, however the FJ25 is more important so it will be parts. The needle, internal gears, and odometer should work nicely.
See photos below.

2D755484-124B-4C08-826B-6B39D94BD1F3.jpeg

7979A590-2365-43BF-90E8-97E90871E69F.jpeg

Another cool part I’m glad it came with is the early dash turn signal switch. Original to the truck and in good condition. Do any of you have an idea of where to have this switch restored? Replated, internals checked, ect The knob itself is in great shape. @ToyotaMatt

09BF9728-4A4B-47C9-BF2A-191ABC172727.jpeg

99FB7B46-CFC1-4C3D-87D9-C32AB6B180FF.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s amazing! I always thought that was a semaphore switch or something in the photos, that thing looks like it’s in great condition.
My FJ25 had the early turn signal switch above. The lights were built into the front bib lights and the rear tail lights on my fj25.

what vin number is this 58' ?

I had only seen that speedo on 56-57

is the showa date still on the back?
My vin# is 8-FJ25-5501L
It is the earliest one known to exist. The data plate is stamped 1958 and its titled as a 1958 as well. If you look at the original instruction manual for 1958 you will see that is should have this cluster as well as the turn signal switch.

Gabe, not being negative but since you are
also taking it as a documenting project:

Reflectors were not Koito factory on the 25. for the US and most markets they were port or dealer installed with local parts.

The knurled outside edge and the inside attachment of the fuel cap tell me Land Rover with a TEQ logo.

x2 on Land Rover gas cap. I noticed a similar Gas Cap listed on eBay last year. Anyways it’s a good option until an original finds it’s way to you. They are still out there. I have an extra TEQ gas cap with me that I am hoping to trade with a rebuilt DD 40/40 Carburetor or a locking gas cap one day.

x2 on Land Rover gas cap. I noticed a similar Gas Cap listed on eBay last year. Anyways it’s a good option until an original finds it’s way to you. They are still out there. I have an extra TEQ gas cap with me that I am hoping to trade with a rebuilt DD 40/40 Carburetor or a locking gas cap one day.
It will look a lot better than the large mason jar lid I have not on it. Thanks for the info. Would love the original if you decide to sell it.

You might want to change out the Phillips screws to Slotted ones on your tail lights, parking lights, dimmer switch, wire blocks, and possibly the light switch. Please let me know if I get too picky on your build. John Pardi .
I appreciate that, however that is a bit much for even me. The tail lights are new oem in the box with correct part number for a fj25 as well as the light switches, ect... If Toyota used different screw heads in different markets I am good with that. We see that a lot on parts from Australia and South America. For whatever reason Toyota would change it up between countries. Or they did mid year changes and vendors switched them out. Who really knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom