1800-2000 rpm at 40mph in 4th gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

twalker9480

SILVER Star
Threads
A few weeks ago i was driving and realized that the truck wish shifting late, even with only light throttle the shifts into 2nd and 3rd dont happen until around 1700-2000rpm, it shifts into 4th at 2000-2100rpm. Cruising at 40mph i have not seen below 1800rpm in a couple weeks. In the past few days the oil light has been coming on but when i check the level it is fine. Someone said it could be a problem with a vaccum line. Any ideas? And no i dont have the ect button on.
Another thing that i dont know is connected is on acceleration and at idle there is a loud whining noise that changes pitch with the rpm.

A video of the shift points and one of the noise could help with diagnosis.

What happens if you run through the gears manually?

Have you checked your transmission fluid?

A video of the shift points and one of the noise could help with diagnosis.

What happens if you run through the gears manually?

Have you checked your transmission fluid?
Even running through the gears manually it still shifts at the same points.
Yeah, i checked tranny fluid and it was a the right level and looked fine

Slow from 0-30mph with light throttle

Normal acceleration to 40mph

What code(s) are you getting? You didn't mention the CEL.

Pull your transmission codes. This is not the same as the CEL codes.

This looks like an issue that could be related to an improperly adjusted shift point cable and/or line pressure. Do you have the A442F transmission factory service manual?

Pull your transmission codes. This is not the same as the CEL codes.

This looks like an issue that could be related to an improperly adjusted shift point cable and/or line pressure. Do you have the A442F transmission factory service manual?
So i checked my cel and its still only code 71. How do i pull the transmission codes, i dont have the FSM with me where i am

I'm assuming you have a computer since your posting. Here is a link to the A442F Transmission FSM

Look through it, follow the troubleshooting guidlines, pull codes. If you dont have the 93-94 FSM you can (should) download it here it also has good troubleshooting outlines in it.

Spend some time with the manuals and learn them, I'll check back on ya tomorrow some time.
(Both of these manuals are saved on the Ipad that lives mounted on my windshield for nav. and I have a printed version in my shop. Consider these your bible, print and save them)

I'm assuming you have a computer since your posting. Here is a link to the A442F Transmission FSM

Look through it, follow the troubleshooting guidlines, pull codes. If you dont have the 93-94 FSM you can (should) download it here it also has good troubleshooting outlines in it.

Spend some time with the manuals and learn them, I'll check back on ya tomorrow some time.
(Both of these manuals are saved on the Ipad that lives mounted on my windshield for nav. and I have a printed version in my shop. Consider these your bible, print and save them)
Tomorrow i will disconnect the solenoid wire and do the manual shifting test. I tried to pull the codes but my O/D OFF light dosnt work, even when i actually turn o/d off.

Has it ever worked? Does the transmission shift down to 3rd when you turn the OD button off? If not your transmission control module may not be getting power / could be defective.

Has it ever worked? Does the transmission shift down to 3rd when you turn the OD button off? If not your transmission control module may not be getting power / could be defective.
I don't remember the light ever working, i didn't even know it existed. But it does shift down when i turn of OD

Is throttle response normal in Park or Neutral?

Download the manuals first. They are incredibly useful.

You're going to have trouble troubleshooting the tranny without the O/D OFF light. So you can look into replacing the bulb, or... if you're a savvy with electrics, figure out where to "read" the light by metering at a plug.

I think you're on the right track.

figure out where to "read" the light by metering at a plug.

Don't bother with this, the plug is right behind the cluster anyway. Usually this works but not so much in this case. Also the light is ground switched, like most things in this rig, so you need to keep that in mind if you try to read the code by meter (it can be done, I've done it but its a PITA it's easier to just replace the bulb).

Pull the cluster and replace the bulb, then pull codes. Pulling the transmission code will quickly point you in the right direction and is a necessary step in the troubleshooting flow outlined in the FSM.

Is throttle response normal in Park or Neutral?

Download the manuals first. They are incredibly useful.

You're going to have trouble troubleshooting the tranny without the O/D OFF light. So you can look into replacing the bulb, or... if you're a savvy with electrics, figure out where to "read" the light by metering at a plug.

I think you're on the right track.
Yeah, throttle response is fine, even gear.

Don't bother with this, the plug is right behind the cluster anyway. Usually this works but not so much in this case. Also the light is ground switched, like most things in this rig, so you need to keep that in mind if you try to read the code by meter (it can be done, I've done it but its a PITA it's easier to just replace the bulb).

Pull the cluster and replace the bulb, then pull codes. Pulling the transmission code will quickly point you in the right direction and is a necessary step in the troubleshooting flow outlined in the FSM.
I replaced the bulb and when i read the code it blinks twice every second. According to the FSM that means there are no detected malfunctions.

And if you disconnected your battery for more than 10 minutes while you changed bulbs or did any other diagnostic work, then your codes got cleared.

And if you disconnected your battery for more than 10 minutes while you changed bulbs or did any other diagnostic work, then your codes got cleared.
Thats what i was worried about so i didnt diconnect my battery at all. I was just careful to keep my tongue away from live wires

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom