16" Nomad Convoy on PZJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While taking an clover-leaf exit from the highway in a light drizzling rain at a normal speed, I felt the rear end of my '91 PZJ70 get a little floaty. "That's weird" I thought as I immediately began checking my mirrors to see the location of the many other cars beside and behind me on this Saturday afternoon. Not a second later the feeling came back and the rear end began to seriously step out beside us and we are pointed right at the guardrail. My wife (pregnant wife mind you) screams as I try to keep my cool, not over respond, and dial in just enough counter steering to keep things from getting too far sideways but still able to straighten out once the rear hooks back up. It does so, I quickly straighten it out, and I regain control. Once it is over, the delayed panic sets as in as I get a little more pale, and it hits me how bad things could've gone.

So, I need new tires asap. I was already looking, as I suspected my current rubber was very old and that incident last weekend seals the deal. I was looking at getting 16" Nomads with similar size tires as I currently have which is 265/75. The bolt pattern looks good, hub bore is 106 (mm?). I believe the Nomads are 8" wide rather than my current stock 6" wide though. Any experience with fitting this size wheel, or in a perfect world these exact Nomads? I'm having a hell of a time on TireRack since the search function requires a vehicle input, and it doesn't know what a 70 series is.

I should clarify: I WANT new wheels, and since I NEED new tires I'd like to get them both at the same time. I understand the wheels are not to blame (they just ugly).

So far I have not been able to find many 16" wheels that fit without wheel spacers. Mickey Thompson Classic III polished makes a 16x8 with a 3.6" back spacing and -22 offset. I had a set on my BJ70 that I had and they fit without spacers. There's a wheel from Japan that also will fit but shipping would be crazy. I am sure others will chime in, but seems like this is the only wheel that I have found that is not a factory wheel. Plus tire size consider a 235/85/16 or 255/85/16.

Believe any nomad tire will require you to run a spacer as they don't run the correct backspacing.

I've got EvoCorse wheels on my troopy, zero spacers and the right backspacing.

DakarZero 7x16" ET:-10, 6x139.7, CB 106.1 I ordered mine directly through EvoCorse in Italy.

I'm running 255/85r16 Falken Mud Terrains.

Tires: Toyo M55's - very hard to beat as a one and done tire. 255/85/16 seems to be the sweet spot but 235/85/16 is also a great option.
Wheels: OEM 16" steel. No spacers. $160 a piece at your local Toyota dealer. Stylistically they're nearly a clone of the Nomads you like.

Tires: Toyo M55's - very hard to beat as a one and done tire. 255/85/16 seems to be the sweet spot but 235/85/16 is also a great option.
Wheels: OEM 16" steel. No spacers. $160 a piece at your local Toyota dealer. Stylistically they're nearly a clone of the Nomads you like.
Jed, I definitely like those OEM steelies, I like sticking to stock-look in general. In my search I saw another long post about OEM options including those, but there seemed to be a lot of detailed info on what works/what wont so that's why I was going to go with the Nomads as a more potentially straightforward approach then trying to mix and match different era Toyotas. Is there a good place to purchase them/know of a part number? Are they the same ones that come off the 2010-ish Tacoma?

Jed, I definitely like those OEM steelies, I like sticking to stock-look in general. In my search I saw another long post about OEM options including those, but there seemed to be a lot of detailed info on what works/what wont so that's why I was going to go with the Nomads as a more potentially straightforward approach then trying to mix and match different era Toyotas. Is there a good place to purchase them/know of a part number? Are they the same ones that come off the 2010-ish Tacoma?
Nomad wheels are 25% off this month.

The standard steel Land Cruiser wheel currently available now in the US, that I know of, is 42601-60262-03. There may be others but this one I know is. There are needless to say other steel LC wheels - for 40's, 60's, etc. but they're collectors items

This photo shows black but they ship silver - never saw a black one?

See if your local dealer can't get this for you, or a Toyota parts desk within a reasonable drive - to save shipping charges. I paid $164 I think.

This is not the Tacoma steel wheel, if that's what you're thinking about? I don't think any of the Tacoma wheels will work on a Land Cruiser without spacers. The 16 hole Tacoma steel wheel, often supplied as a spare, is a great looking wheel (copied in the FJ Cruiser 17" steel wheel) but requires spacers.

These will definitely fit your truck - I've used them on two 70's and a 60.

What is the p/n for these OEM 16" steel wheels without spacers?

Edit: I didn't see your last post with p/n. Had my hopes up. I was thinking wheels that look like the nomad convoy.

Looking up the code, I am seeing different looking wheels some of which do indeed look like the nomads. I plan on calling toyota tomorrow with this PN in hand and seeing what they can get.

Looking up the code, I am seeing different looking wheels some of which do indeed look like the nomads. I plan on calling toyota tomorrow with this PN in hand and seeing what they can get.
You won’t find any oem Toyota wheels (that don’t require spacers) that have the style like the nomads. At least not 16” and available stateside.

The oem wheels being discussed are oem 70 series steelies set at the proper backspace.

Be careful of the generic drawings that these parts sites throw up when you search for wheel part numbers. You're liable to see any crazy thing. The PN I gave you will get you the 6 spoke wheel that is in the illustration in my post - which looks similar to the "nomad" wheel I saw when I googled that.

The Nomad Convoy you linked to seems to have an appearance similar to the Tacoma spare steelie such as came on the 2004-era (first generation) Tacomas, and probably other years too.

Can't recommend these tires enough...

You had a different experience than I did. I ran the AT01 back in the day and it did well for me; better than the MT, which was a slipper on more than one rig in my crowd. Now, the sticky MT was unbelievably good for most people, despite not even being a true sticky...but that's a 37"+ tire and not germane to the discussion.

On the subject of backspacing: is anyone calculating the difference in scrub radius that accumulates with increasing tire diameter, and adjusting their backspacing accordingly? It seems like that's not being done, but I'm probably just missing something; wouldn't be the first time.

How many people push the limits of tire width vs wheel width to the point where you have to “adjust the backspacing”? Assuming that wheel spec is proper and doesn’t need spacers to begin with.

Personally I am a pizza cutter guy so it isn’t something I have to do.

How many people push the limits of tire width vs wheel width to the point where you have to “adjust the backspacing”?

Now I'm more confused; how is the wheel/tire width relationship impacted by backspacing? I'm not sure how those two values would be changed by a backspacing change. I get that both of those valves are important in various ways, but I'm not seeing how backspacing would play into either in any reasonable scenario. 🤔

Personally I am a pizza cutter guy so it isn’t something I have to do.

To make sure I'm understanding: you're not worried about backspacing because you use narrow tires...? Or are you referring to another value?

Now I'm more confused; how is the wheel/tire width relationship impacted by backspacing? I'm not sure how those two values would be changed by a backspacing change. I get that both of those valves are important in various ways, but I'm not seeing how backspacing would play into either in any reasonable scenario. 🤔

To make sure I'm understanding: you're not worried about backspacing because you use narrow tires...? Or are you referring to another value?

My apologies. I misread your post to be honest. I am just curious how you adjust the backspacing accordingly to the scrub radius. Please educate me.

Last edited:
The reason for proper back spacing/needing spacers when not using proper back spacing has to do with the wheel hitting steering links or not.
Back spacing and wheel width also affects the travel of the tires, as in if the whole assembly pushes the tire/wheel out the tires may hit parts of the fender that with proper spacing doesn’t. Don’t know if this is what you are asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom