33x10.5r15 on BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings fellow Land Cruiser addicts! I have recently become a proud owner of BJ73. Not as proud as I would have been with HZJ73, but what can you do… :D
Any way I was hoping that you could share your extensive knowledge with me. And yes, I did use search function and found similar questions but no conclusive answers, please forgive me if this has been discussed 10k times.
As you have already guessed I want to equip my currently stock BJ73 with 33 x 10.5 r15 MT’s. Truck is going to be used mostly in light off-road conditions and I need it to articulate without scratching. I love how it rides with stock suspension and would like to keep it as is for the time being. I have found that supposedly you can achieve this effect with 2” (50mm) extended shackles. Can anyone confirm this or am I looking at full 2” lift kit?

Your input is much appreciated!

Hi
I'm running 31x10.5 R15 with a 2" OME on my BJ73. No spacers. On full articulation they slightly touch the inner wheel housing in the rear. 33s thus might rub even earlier. But you are looking at a different suspension geometry. No idea how that may play into it.
Cheers Ralf

Hi
I'm running 31x10.5 R15 with a 2" OME on my BJ73. No spacers. On full articulation they slightly touch the inner wheel housing in the rear. 33s thus might rub even earlier. But you are looking at a different suspension geometry. No idea how that may play into it.
Cheers Ralf
If 31s touch with proper 2” lift there is no way it would work on 33s with 2” extended shackles…
Thanks Ralf!

With 2" lift, there is actually plenty of room in the wheel wells to accommodate 33s. But if it's about the articulation and you want to max it, it is like this. What engine do you have? 3B?
33s won't help it's 'agility' either.
Anyone else with an opinion or experience with 33s?
Cheers Ralf

With 2" lift, there is actually plenty of room in the wheel wells to accommodate 33s. But if it's about the articulation and you want to max it, it is like this. What engine do you have? 3B?
33s won't help it's 'agility' either.
Anyone else with an opinion or experience with 33s?
Cheers Ralf
I planned on getting a 3B, but then I found this specimen with 110k km, not a single speck of rust. And of course, VM engine…

I don’t think you need to worry about tire rub at full articulation as much as ruining 33s with the VM engine. That engine may really struggle to turn 33s and keep the truck at a decent cruising speed.

I don’t think you need to worry about tire rub at full articulation as much as ruining 33s with the VM engine. That engine may really struggle to turn 33s and keep the truck at a decent cruising speed.
No worries Chriss, I have a LJ70 with 33", cant possibly be slower than that :D + sooner it dies I can swap it for a proper engine.

My HZJ73 came with 31 x 10.5. It has aftermarket springs and shackles, so some sort of undetermined lift.

Been thinking of the possibilities of running the 33s. I have four aluminum wheels -8 offset. I also have three -20 offset wheels (I need to source one to make my set complete).

I’m following to see what you end up with and to see what other suggestions/observations come up. @RoverDude, from your experience, do you think I can do 33s with the -20 offset?

My HZJ73 came with 31 x 10.5. It has aftermarket springs and shackles, so some sort of undetermined lift.

Been thinking of the possibilities of running the 33s. I have four aluminum wheels -8 offset. I also have three -20 offset wheels (I need to source one to make my set complete).

I’m following to see what you end up with and to see what other suggestions/observations come up. @RoverDude, from your experience, do you think I can do 33s with the -20 offset?
I would say yes as that will be more offset than my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom