15yo 99' LX470 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last saturday (12/12/20) I bought my first truck, I flew from Ohio to Alabama bought it and drove it back. Im 15 and cant even drive until March when I get my licsense, so I know almost nothing about cars. I plan on using it as a day to day car to drive and in the future I plan on using it for camping and offroading. Right now im trying to save up to get the Ironman Foam Cell Pro 2" lift kit since the car came with strutmaster kit and ive been told its very unreliable. Also since I live in Ohio im trying to find the best rust proof coating. Which so far I found that most people perfer Fluid Fillm, but im not sure wether to try to find some place to do it for me or to just do it myself. I can use all the help I can get with this build so ever comment and concern helps a lot. Thanks!
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG
IMG_3542.JPG
IMG_3540.JPG

Nice! You're lucky to get this as your first ride can't wait to see what you do with it. Keep us posted with progress for sure..

Nice color by the way (beige mafia son!)

Post some more details and pics...what mileage?

Nice! You're lucky to get this as your first ride can't wait to see what you do with it. Keep us posted with progress for sure..

Nice color by the way (beige mafia son!)

Post some more details and pics...what mileage?
I defenitly will tommorow its really late right now but its got 200k miles on it. What other parts should I take pictures of?

Welcome! Heck of a first vehicle. I'm curious what made you want a 100 series? Does your family own Cruisers? Anyone in your family/circle have tools and mechanic experience that can help you? These are awesome trucks but maintenance and parts can be expensive (particularly if you have to pay a shop to do the work), and given the age of your 100, I'd wager it probably needs or will need quite a bit of maintenance in the future. So learning to wrench on the Cruiser as you move forward will be a huge money saver, while also being a very valuable learning experience. Nevertheless, there are plenty of folks here who are happy to help you resolve problems and point you in the right direction, so you've certainly come to the right place.

Welcome! Heck of a first vehicle. I'm curious what made you want a 100 series? Does your family own Cruisers? Anyone in your family/circle have tools and mechanic experience that can help you? These are awesome trucks but maintenance and parts can be expensive (particularly if you have to pay a shop to do the work), and given the age of your 100, I'd wager it probably needs or will need quite a bit of maintenance in the future. So learning to wrench on the Cruiser as you move forward will be a huge money saver, while also being a very valuable learning experience. Nevertheless, there are plenty of folks here who are happy to help you resolve problems and point you in the right direction, so you've certainly come to the right place.
My dad's a very big car guy so he's gonna be a ton of help with maintenance. He doesn't know really anything about cruisers but he has a couple of friends that do a lot of offroading and thats where I got the idea. Origanally I planned on getting an 80 series but couldnt find one that was rust free so we went with the 100. I also find Ohio extremly boring so im hoping having this truck will give me some stuff to do and look forward to.

Parental Unit: "How about a Corolla, son? Reliable, good gas mileage, Toyota engineering."

Son: "Fu(k that, I want a Hundy ... no, I DEMAND a Hundy. You don't want your son to be disappointed, do you, PARENTAL UNIT?!?!"

Congrats and Welcome!

Nice! More than a "few" years ago my first car was a '68 Pontiac Bonneville. My friends and brother-in-laws brothers called it La Pesca

Welcome to the Old Man Tan Clan! I have the Foam Cell Pro kit installed. It still rides pretty nice for a lifted vehicle. Granted not as smooth as working AHC but once you start offroading you will be glad for the upgrade.

driveway.jpg

Did u get performance ones?
I have the the "Constant" load rear springs. I will be putting a rear bumper with swingouts and drawer system in the near future so I will have a lot of extra added weight.

Welcome to the club. You have a lot there to enjoy!

One good thing about a young driver owning a "mature looking vehicle" is you might avoid some speeding tickets or pullovers for a license (e.g. harassment) checks. I drove sleeper looking cars and never got a ticket until I was 22 and got caught in a 55mph to 25mph speed trap in my dad's Pontiac Grand Safari wagon with my parents in the car.

Now if you were driving a Red Mustang GT 5.0. That could be a problem.

Be sure to plan to change the heater Ts or have proof they have been changed. It would be terrible to see a nice rig like that overhead and experience engine damage from a simple cooling system issue.

P.S. the club will be glad to help you max out you and your dad's credit cards. 💳💳💳

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. You have a lot there to enjoy!

One good thing about a young driver owning a "mature looking vehicle" is you might avoid some speeding tickets or pullovers for a license (e.g. harassment) checks. I drove sleeper looking cars and never got a ticket until I was 22 and got caught in a 55mph to 25mph speed trap in my dad's Pontiac Grand Safari wagon with my parents in the car.

Now if you were driving a Red Mustang GT 5.0. That could be a problem.

Be sure to plan to change the heater Ts or have proof they have been changed. It would be terrible to see a nice rig like that overhead and experience engine damage from a simple cooling system issue.

P.S. the club will be glad to help you max out your dad's credit cards. 💳💳💳
hahaha thanks for the feed back but unfortunatly that will be my card getting maxed out😭

Lol, I flew down to Alabama to purchase my 99 LC when you were negative two!! Nice job in making many of us feel a bit, old, ahem. Congrats on the acquisition and best wishes in your plans!

Welcome to the club! Glad to see another LX in OH that will be well loved. I'm going to try Wool Wax spray cans for rust prevention this year, though many swear by Fluid Film. Pretty similar from what I can tell. Wool Wax might be a bit thicker and not smell as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom