15yo 99' LX470 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! More than a "few" years ago my first car was a '68 Pontiac Bonneville. My friends and brother-in-laws brothers called it La Pesca

+1 to a big 4th gen Ponto.. I had a 66 Ventura with a 421. Gasoline was 25.9 cents per gallon when I bought it. The price quickly shot up to over 50 cents per gallon. It required premium as I recall. I think it got something like 7 MPG. Just after the price of gas increased to over 50 cents, I took it to a station for a fill up. The attendent yelled - "this is the first time that I have put over $10 in any car". I was so thrilled. It didn't take long for me to start looking for something different that would get 2x the mileage -- like a Chevy with a 283 V8. You could watch the fuel gauge drop while you drove it down the interstate in the Pontiac.

Looking at the price of premium fuel midway through the 1st gas crisis with my ownership of the Ventura, I will use .38 cents per gallon as a comparison. I can buy premium today for $2.30 per gallon or a few cents less.

It cost much less (in today's money) to drive my 1999 100 series, that can get 2x the mileage when compared to the 66 Pontiac, even when when gas was 38 cents per gallon.

This is why you won't find me complaining about 100 series fuel mileage. I've experienced much worse back in the "good ole days"

1608131779140.png

I can buy premium for under $2.30 per gallon. Sometimes less using grocery store points.

1608129216527.png

Congratulations!!! Is your dad looking to adopt? I can help you work on yours if your dad buys me one too! :)

I do have a question though is it a hard task to spray fluid film myself or should I get a pro? I just want to make sure it stays rust free otherwise it would've been a waste to go all the way to Alabama to get it. Also I saw that a lot of people said not to go to Ziebart for them to spray it due to the cost but since their experts would it just be better to go to them and not risk me messing it up?

I do have a question though is it a hard task to spray fluid film myself or should I get a pro? I just want to make sure it stays rust free otherwise it would've been a waste to go all the way to Alabama to get it. Also I saw that a lot of people said not to go to Ziebart for them to spray it due to the cost but since their experts would it just be better to go to them and not risk me messing it up?
Easy to do yourself.

Texan here so not a lot of experience with rust preventatives but it doesn't sound like something that you could really screw up that bad. I'd save your money for something you're sure that is out of your league.

First for me 1970 Red Nova 6 cylinder auto, $600.00 in '76, snows in the rear with some weight and I got to the ski slopes every time I wanted to go in the brutal CNY winters.

Looks nice and clean underneath, no oxidation on the engine compartment hardware, either. Given the well-used condition of the interior, I'm going to assume it came from a rust-free zone as well. Good find!!!

Welp not so much of a great start with the car😆. On the way home from Alabama we stopped at a hotel and when we turned the car off the radio and AC didnt turn off. We hopped that it wouldnt be dead in the morning andit wasn't. But after sitting outside for a couple days and trying to take it to get inspected it was completly drained. Anyone know why the AC and radio stay on after turning the car off?
IMG_3566.JPG
IMG_3567.JPG

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone, starting to feel old only getting stuff for my car for Christmas.
View attachment 2534730
If you have an air compressor in your home garage, I HIGHLY recommend getting the gallon Fluid Film and undercoating gun. The rattle cans work okay for getting into the smaller holes in the door drains, etc. but man they're such a pain in the ass to use and do not control the flow of the product at all, stuff just comes out like thick crap, plus they're way more expensive than getting the gallons. Let me know if you're interested, I can send you a link to the kit I use that was recommended to me years ago, works beautifully.

Finally decided to put some of my Christmas presents to use and put in my struts 🥳. I also decided today that I was going to take off my running boards off. But I didn't expect it to take so long so one side is off but the other isnt lol. I also tried charging it and when doing so the battery was so dead that I couldn't even charge it. So we got another one with the warrenty we had on the other one which was put in November of 2020. When I got home I couldn't find my keys but the door was unlocked so I just put in the battery, and when I hooked it up the alarm went off and the doors locked and I still cant find the keys so I'm really hoping they're not in the car.

Ok so I haven't posted in awhile due to being on vacation and not having money to work on it. But i'm still having problems with the battery draining. I have checked to see if it was the alternator I think is what its called by turning the car on and taking off the negitive cable off the battery but it kept running. So after bringing it to my dad he mentioned that since the radio stays on after turning the car off the ignition might not be turning everything off. Which might be why when ever I let the car sit for less than a day the battery is dead. Could this be the issue or could there be another? I have tried to look it up on here but haven't found anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom