14B into my BJ75 troopy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read a lot in the past week or so, I don't have any reason to believe that my 3B-T will crap out soon but I know it eventually will. Whenever something catastrophic does happen, I'm pretty set on not trying to rebuild it, parts are getting harder and harder to find (more expensive too), and for a college kid short on money I don't think it would be worth it, especially since I plan on keeping my troopy for a while. With all this being said, I really like the idea of purchasing a 14B, adding a turbo to it, and swapping them. Of course, I'm open to other engine suggestions from people but the 14B would be one of the most straightforward engine swaps I think could be done (besides putting another 3B into it of course)

Just the one biggest problem I run into when looking into this whole swap is where to even get a 14B in the US? Or how to get one over here, it seems like the only ones for sale online are all on Alibaba coming out of China... I see a lot of Dyna's for sale coming out of the middle east with 14B's in them but none of just the engines that have been ripped out. Just trying to gain a bit more info about this and hoping someone could point me in the right direction so I won't have to do as much stressing and research whenever my engine kicks the dust in the future.

In your reading did you checkout @Owyhee Jackass troopy thread?
He put a 14BT in his troopy.

But it might be easier to find a 15BFT from Japan. @Nurik has sent some this way and may be able to locate one for you if/when you decide to do something. Some good info here:

There might be a few mudders lurking around that are sitting on these.

@bjowett is putting one in his BJ73
Builds - Project Killer B - 1988 BJ73 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/project-killer-b-1988-bj73.995068/post-11470570

I got mine from Import Engine Supply, here in Boise. Brent sourced it from his overseas supplier, not sure where exactly though as I wasn't who it was originally sourced for, just who ended up with it.

I bet there are plenty of 3Bs, HJs and 3BIIs laying around as swapping in a 1HDT, seems to be all the rage right now. I heard that the 3B-T I rebuilt and stuck in my old FJ45 Troopy, (third pic down in this thread) will be swapped out for a 1HDT soon. so that engine should be available at some point.

Interested to hear what others have to say on this. My 3bii is in need of a rebuild at some point. Between the cost of a rebuild and turbo setup (I really would like a turbo, the 3bii is good on flats, but man in the hills it sucks). The problem I've read about with importing engines is that you don't know the condition. You could get a good one, or you could end up with something that needs a rebuild right off the bat as well. Talked to Tor in December about the 3bii and how finding parts is interesting since it's a niche engine and he talked about some of the cruisers he's seen come though lately with a lot higher milage than shown on the odometer, so conditions tend to vary.

In your reading did you checkout @Owyhee Jackass troopy thread?
He put a 14BT in his troopy.

But it might be easier to find a 15BFT from Japan. @Nurik has sent some this way and may be able to locate one for you if/when you decide to do something. Some good info here:

There might be a few mudders lurking around that are sitting on these.

@bjowett is putting one in his BJ73
Builds - Project Killer B - 1988 BJ73 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/project-killer-b-1988-bj73.995068/post-11470570
I have seen Jackass's thread, read through all of it this past weekend, plus when I traveled across the country I got to see it in person, which inspired this whole idea in the first place. I've also seen that thread of all the 15B's that are for sale seems like a solid deal for a solid engine, just figured if there was a 14b out there it would be a bit cheaper than one of those megacriser engines from Japan that come with turbos and all from factory, obviously raising the price. The other issue is I have really no clue how much a 14B would be vs one of those 15B's that was listed, cause there are no 14B's for sale except on Alibaba lol. Also seems like there are many more versions of the 15B that are electronically controlled more than mechanical or depend on electronics more, that would be another reason for me to go with the 14B, less variations, less weird electronic stuff I would have to avoid.
Interested to hear what others have to say on this. My 3bii is in need of a rebuild at some point. Between the cost of a rebuild and turbo setup (I really would like a turbo, the 3bii is good on flats, but man in the hills it sucks). The problem I've read about with importing engines is that you don't know the condition. You could get a good one, or you could end up with something that needs a rebuild right off the bat as well. Talked to Tor in December about the 3bii and how finding parts is interesting since it's a niche engine and he talked about some of the cruisers he's seen come though lately with a lot higher milage than shown on the odometer, so conditions tend to vary.
Yup, my thought was to maybe get a contact oversea's who actually knows what they are talking about and check out engines and see how they truly run, idek where to start with finding a contact to have. Or know anything about how much they would want for payment and if that would counteract the price saved from not buying a 15B or even 1HZ.
I got mine from Import Engine Supply, here in Boise. Brent sourced it from his overseas supplier, not sure where exactly though as I wasn't who it was originally sourced for, just who ended up with it.

I bet there are plenty of 3Bs, HJs and 3BIIs laying around as swapping in a 1HDT, seems to be all the rage right now. I heard that the 3B-T I rebuilt and stuck in my old FJ45 Troopy, (third pic down in this thread) will be swapped out for a 1HDT soon. so that engine should be available at some point.
I could always just swap a 3B back into it or try to rebuild what is in the troopy currently, just if I'm going through that much effort, I'd rather look for something more long-term that won't have as bad cooling issues as a IDI turbo'd diesel. A 14B would just respond really well to a turbo, hence my thinking to all of this being a 14B that I could pick up for pretty cheap, (compared to a 1HZ or 15BFT) add a turbo, swap it in and have a troopy that I can take places without being a traffic hazard or worrying about cooking the engine constantly whenever I'm at altitude and its hot outside.

Also trying to source a 15B-FT. Found a China supplier for $4500usd shipped.

Also trying to source a 15B-FT. Found a China supplier for $4500usd shipped.

Apparently he can’t ship right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom