1400 Mile Trip with New (used) 1984 Cruiser What should I take?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i would join AAA like others said but make sure you sign up for the extended package which allows more free tows and tows up to 100 miles. thats a lot of empty country youre going through.

and dont forget winter basics: lots of spare food, blankets and all that just in case you break down and have to spend a night or two by the side of the road.

oh and chief joseph highway into cody if its open.

one love
jah bill

Ok I thought everyone was Landcruisers run forever and never let you down! ;p

JK

I will get the road side assit and by doing so will never use it and if I did not get it that I would breakdown in the middle of a blizzard.

When I bought my 85 60, I flew to Albuquerque, took a bus to Alamosa, CO (beautiful bus ride), picked it up, and drove it back to Kentucky the next day (well, day and a half).
I bought a knife, some 10w40, put on wiper blades 'cause it didn't have any, and drove away.
Drove like a champ the whole way home.
That thing won't let you down.
But in case you miss something, make sure you can stay warm for a night in the back if you have to.

And don't mess with that steering stabilizer till you've got a warm spot and a couple of days. I broke two cheap pullers trying to get the original one off. Finally got it with that U-shaped tool you're talking about and a 5 lb. sledge.

Ditto for Abq area help. Watch the weather -- I 25 often closes at Raton pass when storms come through. Raton to Amarillo could be tricky during a storm as well.

If you want to buy chains in the north country to get home with I'll buy them from you after. ;)

Tire size? My first flat (30") I found out the hard way that the stock bottle jack didn't fit, even w/lumber & bricks. Hi Lift is worth the early weight investment, along w/a good lug wrench. Test/lube the spare tire lowering assembly: busted my *** in the Petsmart parking lot on a sunny day, you wouldn't want to do that in between.

Definately gas up in Amarillo, and maybe try the 72 oz steak - you'd still be full when you got home! :pig:

FWIW: bought the 2 wheeled version of AAA when I got my forever motorcycle, using your same logic, and that was the only bright spot when I had electric trouble 7 hours after I left my wallet two states back on top of my tank bag.:eek:

Look forward to reading about your trip. Safe travels, and congrats on the rig!

CHECK THE BELTS ,cold wheather tends to makem crack ,it might be worth while just going to a auto parts buying them and have a local shop install them for you , you could do it yourself but working on a car on a road trip sucks

High Lift Jack - I had the same problem on my 2000 nissan pathfinder. The factory jack only works if the tire is flat so getting the flat of is easy. Its getting the spare on that is the real trick.

Where can I get a decent high lift jack for a good price in billings MT? Advanced, autozone, o'rellies, wallyword? Please advise.

Travel: I would not be making this trip if I did not feel that the rig was going to get me home w/o breaking the bank. I am looking forward to seeing how this adventure goes.

I might have a spare highlift that you can have with the other parts. Also, I have the "pickle fork" and a steering stabilizer off the parts car that we can put on in my (warm) garage when you come through. Would also suggest that we check the front wheel bearings while your here.

I might have a spare highlift that you can have with the other parts. Also, I have the "pickle fork" and a steering stabilizer off the parts car that we can put on in my (warm) garage when you come through. Would also suggest that we check the front wheel bearings while your here.

Sounds like a plan. Anytime I can work in a warm enviroment and aviod the subzero temps I am in! Will drop you a call once I get on the road from billings.

...And don't mess with that steering stabilizer till you've got a warm spot and a couple of days. I broke two cheap pullers trying to get the original one off...

I broke two pullers also when I replaced my stabilizer. Craftsman warrenty saved the day...

If you really think you need to replace it, the warm garage is a great choice!

Have fun. Welcome to the addition!

Sounds like an awesome trip, I do be down if I lived near ya. That rear doesnt look too bad, my truck looks about the same(rocks and trees)...Have a great time man....it will be a good story to tell.

Part for the Journey

Here's a shot of the parts that I took off for you today. I'm going to have to drain the gas tank and drop it out of the way before I cut the quarter panel off. I should be able to do that later this week. I haven't taken the driver's seat out yet because I may need to drive it into the garage to drain the tank. The shocks are fairly new and were off of an 84 FJ60 that I put a lift kit on. The steering stabilizer is an OME that is also fairly new. Fenders are both good with no dents or bondo. I also have all of the hardware for all the parts. Good luck!!

Last edited:
If you run into problems around Denver, give me a call. My contact info: Joe, 720/219-1413. Good luck on the trip and don't forget to ask the locals wherever you are about the best places to eat, sleep etc. Have fun.

No luck finding that extra hi-lift, sorry.

1/4 panel ready

Attached is the shot of your quarter panel. See you next Friday.

Last edited:
Attached is the shot of your quarter panel. See you next Friday.

all those parts look way to nice to be from a parts cruiser :frown:

all those parts look way to nice to be from a parts cruiser :frown:

I bought a 60 for the running gear to build another 40. Getting rid of some body parts to try to recover some of the cash. I tried to find someone who needed a donor body with no luck. Still have passenger side doors and drivers side rear door and a good hood. Left quarter is in similar condition. Frame has moderate rear rust.

Hey all those parts look like Christmas is going to come twice this year!! Thanks for getting those ready looking forward to meeting this coming friday. I apperciate you looking for an extra highlift. I will probally have to get one the old fashion way. :(

Toyrod, do you still have the front lower valence panel? I'm trying to find one to convert my 62 grille to 60.

Sorry for the hijack.

Made it to Wyoming

Paul got to Wyoming at 7:00 p.m. Installed some much needed shocks and loaded it up with body parts. So far, so good!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom