13BT IP Timing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 13BT with an upgraded CT26 w/ Garrett 60-1 wheel. Biggest issue is it’s slow to boost. Not intercooled yet not sure if that would help, but I started to play with the timing some today but I’m totally new to messing with Injection Pump timing. I moved the whole pump about a 1mm advanced and no more white smoke on startup and boost seemed to come on faster, hitting 20 PSI around 2800 instead of 3000 RPM. EGTs definitely cooler also, no smoke when max throttle at 1400-2000. My question is how do I know the limit on advancing the timing? Picture shows how much I adjusted today.
IMG_8474.jpeg

I'd say the main issue is the turbo is most likely far too big.

Do you have an FSM? This outlines the procedure and specifications for checking and adjusting the timing?

I'd say the main issue is the turbo is most likely far too big.

Do you have an FSM? This outlines the procedure and specifications for checking and adjusting the timing?
I do have the FSM, that’s what I’ve been going off of. Mainly just wondering what the signs are in going too far so I can quickly back off. I do agree the turbo could possibly be too big, if I can’t get it to spool up lower in the revs I’d like to upgrade to a GTurbo but I’d like to tinker with this first rather than throw a turbo down the drain that’s only about a year old too. Also not sure on the turbo wheel specs on GTurbo didn’t get any info on that when I emailed them.

I do have the FSM, that’s what I’ve been going off of. Mainly just wondering what the signs are in going too far so I can quickly back off. I do agree the turbo could possibly be too big, if I can’t get it to spool up lower in the revs I’d like to upgrade to a GTurbo but I’d like to tinker with this first rather than throw a turbo down the drain that’s only about a year old too. Also not sure on the turbo wheel specs on GTurbo didn’t get any info on that when I emailed them.
If you go well too far, it will be very very lazy to build boost, make rubbish power and I suspect quench the flame front as the piston rises. I did this on a Nissan TD42T (not a customers) and after quite a few dyno runs to work out what was wrong, got the timing set back to the advanced end of spec and she was much happier. Did a conrod about 10,000 km later which I assume wasn't helped by far too much advance.

Gturbo won't give out their specs, but ther turbos will do what they say they will do.

What hot side do you have on your turbo?

If you go well too far, it will be very very lazy to build boost, make rubbish power and I suspect quench the flame front as the piston rises. I did this on a Nissan TD42T (not a customers) and after quite a few dyno runs to work out what was wrong, got the timing set back to the advanced end of spec and she was much happier. Did a conrod about 10,000 km later which I assume wasn't helped by far too much advance.

Gturbo won't give out their specs, but ther turbos will do what they say they will do.

What hot side do you have on your turbo?
Hot side is the OEM wheel

That 60-1 comp wheel is bloody huge, it's always going to spool slowly compared to something better sized. You can throw more fuel at it down low to help spool it up but there's only so much you can safely do. Unsure of your pump but I've also had success adjusting the dynamic timing to slow down the auto advance during spool up to help get the heat into the bigger turbos which fires them up while still having enough timing for power in higher RPM. Ultimately it's a compromise with these things and up to you which end of the rpm you want to optimise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom