12ht realtime help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Colorado- On the road and in the backcountry
BACK ON THE ROAD! Thanks Mud!

Just fueled up the HJ61 at a local station. Pulled out literally 50 ft later and the truck stalled.

Tried to restart and the engine was stumbling and really really roughly idling. Then stall again.

Tried restarting it and no go.

I have a brand new alternator and brushes.

Batteries are charged up.

Yes, I fueled the truck up with diesel.

I checked the oil and it was a little low so I topped it off.

Grabbed the girlfriend's car and went to get a new fuel filter.

Changed and primed. Still no start...

What are my next options?

My thoughts are 100% fuel related.

Last edited:
Make sure the intake butterfly is opening, then prime the fuel filter fully and crack the injector lines at each injector, and crank the engine. When you see fuel coming out of each line, tighten it up. I like to have someone else pump the primer during this too. If the problem is air in the fuel system, this should fix it.

Make sure you don't have a vacuum problem that is closing the flapper and shutting off the airflow. Or definitely could be a fuel problem.

Check the engine shut of valve in the air intake is not activating or stuck?
Pull the vacuum line off and check it moves smoothly by hand and stays open.
With a new alternator it may have more vacuum from the pump than its used to...

50 feet is about 15 meter, impossible for bad fuel to enter the system or did you idle a long time,
so rule it out or check what other diesel cars do after fueling.
hj60/61 can run on a lot of stuff (NATO army must have), 100% gasoline would be bad but I use salad oil, 2 stroke oil, engine oil, petroleum, with regular diesel.

Maybe it ran out just when you pulled up at the diesel pump so you may need to bleed the system a few times to pull the fuel through the fuel system. I would also pull the drain plug on the tank and drain a half a gallon into bucket checking for water and sludge etc. :)

Well, what's the outcome?? Did you get it started back up?

He did. The primer pump was bad.

At least, the last message I had from him was that the new primer pump (after driving all over to find one) fixed it right up.

I know he was heading out on a trip, so it may be a bit before he can respond and confirm that the new primer for sure solved it.

Dan

image.jpg
image.jpg

This little sucker was a pain to find but here she is!

Dan saved my butt on this one!!!

Had to hunt around the Denver metro area for a bit to find one.

Popped the new primer on and WAM! Worked like a charm!

Glad to hear you're back on the road. In your picture, the part number on the box is different from the number on the part. Could you please tell us which is the correct number?

Thank you.

Glad to hear you're back on the road. In your picture, the part number on the box is different from the number on the part. Could you please tell us which is the correct number?

Thank you.

The part # on the part is correct. Not the box!

I will eventually buy this steel one for the summer:

Heavy Duty Monark Ultimate Hand Primer Pump | Product | MercedesSource.com

You want to tell a parts store it is for a Mercedes - 240D 300D 300SD 300TD 300CD 1977 to 1985 (except 190D 2.2) and 1968 to 1976 115 220D and 240D ONLY.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom