122k Miles...Would you change transmission fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Nothing wrong with the vehicle but being an 2008 with the original transmission fluid, is it a bad idea to drain and fill the transmission fluid? Can it cause any potential problems since lexus claims it is "lifetime fluid"?

change it I have on mine . then every other oil change I do the 4 qt partial drain and fill.

On my gx I replaced the transmission fluid at 121k miles a few months ago. I used valvoline max life atf and the car seems to shift smoother. I'd recommend it.

I change mine every time I do an oil change. By that I mean I drain the pan and refill - usually 2-3L ish. When done every 8000km eventually you have fresh fluid circulating in the system constantly. 2L of Amsoil trans fluid is like $25.

My father in law did that with his Camry and the trans and it lasted 535,000km when it was sold. It's still going.

Yeah, do the transmission flush and fill every 100k. I
Did mine at 127k with Valvoline atf Max. I’m at 162k noq

I like to do a complete exchange but that takes someone with a fluid exchange machine. I never let them add any flush type of chemicals; just a straight up exchange. I like Amsoil universal ATF. After 150k miles in my 80 series the Amsoil came out looking pretty much like the new stuff going in. I changed the original fluid at 115k with Amsoil and just changed it again at 265k. Hopefully that will now last for the rest of my life as it's no longer a DD for my son.

What’s a decent price for a full fluid exchange, with filter and pan gaskets, etc? I have 165k on my truck and it shifts perfectly but I suspect the fluid has probably never been changed. Do I rock the boat and change it?

The easy way to do it is to disconnect the transmission cooler in the front and run the cooler with a piece of tubing from the hardware store to a measuring device. Measure what comes out when the car is on to about a single quart or two and then fill in the exact amount that came out with fresh stuff going into the pan. Do that for about 12 or 14 quarts and it should look bright red and clean.

Can anyone enlighten me about the difference in the "lifetime" units? E.g. I just bought a 2003 and my mom has a 2005 my brother bought her a few years back. I'm going out to visit and take a look at maintenance issues.
I've seen two schools of thought:
-dilute and roll: 2-3 qt every other oil change, or 30k (rely on a gradual mixing of fluids to cycle the whole volume)
-exchange the entire volume 12-13 qt and let it ride for 90-100k or so
Are these different philosophies or are there real differences in the years that suggest different approaches?

Thanks!
D

The easy way to do it is to disconnect the transmission cooler in the front and run the cooler with a piece of tubing from the hardware store to a measuring device. Measure what comes out when the car is on to about a single quart or two and then fill in the exact amount that came out with fresh stuff going into the pan. Do that for about 12 or 14 quarts and it should look bright red and clean.

I'm not a transmission expert by any means but wouldn't that method result in running the transmission dry for a period of time? Not sure I would want to do that. The fluid exchange machines are passive (in other words they don't generate pressure) but they allow new fluid to get sucked into the transmission at the same time the old discharges to keep from operating them dry (or low).

There is a thread link in the FAQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom