100 Skid Plate Option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is pretty expensive since each hole has to be dimpled individually. One could go down to 1/8" but the additional labor is not worth it. Also you are limited to round holes unless you have really expensive tooling made.

Dimple dies work really well on gussets or fill in panels where you want minimum weight, but the most strength.

Considering the factory one is 0.045" thick, I think 0.1875" is thick enough. More than 4 times the thickness. Also a lot of strength is gained by design and not just by simple increasing metal thickness. We can also up the metal grade, but then you will have bigger chills.

Anything can be bent, but it is a skid plate (wrongly named) that is there to protect the truck's components. 100 's don't skid, so it is not really a skid plate. More of an heavy duty protection plate that can not be pierced or deformed enough to damage components on the truck.

As for price, it is what it is. If you saw the flat patterns layed on on sheets you would understand the amount of material that it takes. Unfortunately labor and metal is expensive, so one tries to have a balance between labor, (i.e. weld seams) and material costs.

If we were planning to make 100 of these in a month, then it could be done cheaper, but the market is just not that big.

Fair enough, I'll add these to my 'to do' list. Thanks for taking the time to design and build these.

It is pretty expensive since each hole has to be dimpled individually. One could go down to 1/8" but the additional labor is not worth it. Also you are limited to round holes unless you have really expensive tooling made.

Dimple dies work really well on gussets or fill in panels where you want minimum weight, but the most strength.

Thanks Christo for the info and clarification. It's too bad out of the 150,000+ 100 series running around the states there isn't a market for 1% of the rig population (1,500). That might open new fab design and manufacturing ideas.

And as LandCruisers4Life stated: Thank YOU for taking the lead roll on this!

Is there a specific concern about the holes? The intermediate plate cover the cats, so we want them to vent pretty good. But if I am missing something let me know.

I do know that not everyone wheels in the same condition, so maybe the holes are of specific concern due to local conditions, brush, sticks, stones, bottles whatever.

Is there a specific concern about the holes? The intermediate plate cover the cats, so we want them to vent pretty good. But if I am missing something let me know.

I do know that not everyone wheels in the same condition, so maybe the holes are of specific concern due to local conditions, brush, sticks, stones, bottles whatever.

We have an abundance of sage brush in Nevada :D. After each run I have to "de-weed" my OME front 'skid plate'. But at the expense of not having the vents/holes and running hotter its a small price to pay. Can't imagine another type of design solution where you could provide flow through type venting without the brush collecting characteristics of holes, etc. Unless you punched rear facing louver type vents into the panels but then you'd run the risk of smashing them closed if you hit them. But then you'd also want to have holes for: Oil filter, engine, tranny & t-case drain plugs...

Spresso you could just put brush guards over the holes in the skid plates :D

How do I present this to the budgetary department as a safety issue? :hmm:

It worked for the sliders, I like to stick with what works. :grinpimp:

Like that steel or aluminum screen..... put it in behind the holes. I am gonna do this to my grill piece on the front end to keep the bugs out of my radiator etc.

Home Depot here I come.... :D

How do I present this to the budgetary department as a safety issue? :hmm:

It worked for the sliders, I like to stick with what works. :grinpimp:

Tell her if a rock goes through the oil pan, it's going to cost about $10,000 to replace engine etc..... Plates are good insurance :D

There is pictures of LexusBen testing it in Moab somewhere here.

Here is a link with some early prototype pics and one post beating pic - https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/154256-skid-plate-crossmember.html

And these are Slee's I'm just a product tester.:cool:

I can't seem to find any of the other pics of the times during CM07 the belly pan was landed on. I can tell you guys I dropped off of a 2 ft ledge right onto the center of the belly pan and was a complete turtle. Locked the diffs and drug it off - No damage. 3/16" is plenty. The edges are tied into the frame pretty well nothing is really unsupported. Much more protection than the 80 series skid plate for the t-case. Also it covers the torsion bar mounts, which I like because I've bent mine a couple of times.

As for the front one being 3/16", I don't forsee it being too thin. Just like anything else if you severely abuse it you'll probably bend it.

This is the only good shot I can find. This is towards the end of the summer. Belly pan beat on all summer:D

And don't take my word for it, buy one and beat on it yourself. :steer:

Wheeler Wheel Stand#2b.JPG
Wheeler Wheel Stand#2b.JPG

Great report, made me a believer.
:clap:

Not wanting to rain on Christo's parade, as our design requirements are a little different for our use, and I like the way Christo's big belly pan wis beefy for the size of these trucks, and ours is dearer here in Aus $ than Christo's U.S model.

We started on this design last year for protection from water from the front, and to improve ground clearance, using 5mm alloy plate on a steel sub frame

underside.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/muddy-pics/underside.jpg

Not wanting to rain on Christo's parade, as our design requirements are a little different for our use, and I like the way Christo's big belly pan wis beefy for the size of these trucks, and ours is dearer here in Aus $ than Christo's U.S model.

We started on this design last year for protection from water from the front, and to improve ground clearance, using 5mm alloy plate on a steel sub frame

underside.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/muddy-pics/underside.jpg

Darren: How many rigs do you have actively running your skid plates? And have any experienced a problematic rise in operating engine or tranny temperature?

Darren where have you been hiding? :grinpimp:

I was just thinking about brush and stuff but cooling seem more important.

In other words, more likely I'm missing something;)

I'm sure they will be fine and I look forward to getting some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom