100 series to gx470 am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MACKSDAD

SILVER Star
Threads
So I have owned a 100 series landcruiser for about a year. I am starting to love this whole “luxury” off-roader platform and discovered the gx470. Now I’m torn between the two. I love how the gx looks but am I going to be making a mistake by moving from the 100 to a gx470 build? So I am coming to mud to ask , am I crazy for wanting to leave the 100 for a gx470? Has anyone owned both of these vehicles ? Am I going to look back and regret swapping the 100 for the gx? Crzrbros let me know !

Is your 100 a LC or LX? Have you considered switching to an LX if you like the 100 platform but want more luxuries? How much space do you need? The GX is smaller and more akin to a 4Runner size wise.

The GX is very nice with growing market support. Nice GX's can be picked up cheaper than a comparable 100 typically as well. Just gotta decide what fits your needs best.

Is your 100 a LC or LX? Have you considered switching to an LX if you like the 100 platform but want more luxuries? How much space do you need? The GX is smaller and more akin to a 4Runner size wise.

The GX is very nice with growing market support. Nice GX's can be picked up cheaper than a comparable 100 typically as well. Just gotta decide what fits your needs best.
I own a 100 series, not specifically looking for more lux amenities just think it might be a better platform because it’s a bit more compact + I like how they look. Only thing I fear is losing all of the durability the 100 has. My 100 has 250k on the clock right now so I’m weighing the cost/benefits or either keeping the 100 (body is super straight no rust and service records) and swapping the engine one day when it gives out (if ever) or getting a lower mileage gx. I plan on keeping one or the other for the long run just split between the two. Whichever one I do go with I just want to make sure I’m going to be happy with it for the next 10+ years. I will be using it as a daily driver aswell as monthly camping trips/off-roading.

my wife had a GX470 she hated it and so did I. It was a cheap attempt to make a Mini LC. Everything about that car reeked of poor material choices especially the dash and and any parts made with plastic. She now drives a 2014 LC.

I was never so happy to sell a car.

I have owned both. The GX was actually more durable / in a better shape after 400k miles than the LX is after 300k miles.
Both have pro's and cons, but I liked the GX better & would take it anytime over the LX if I could choose again. In my perspective It's a smarter car, a lot faster, easier to drive (especially in the city, but also on the highway), easier offroad (because it's a lot lighter/smaller). It also feels like more modern technology, also rusts less. The only reason I like the LX better is because it's cooler to have one of these (looks more of an adventure/expedition car than the GX). Once again, this is just my opinion, and I'm pretty sure most 100 series owners don't share this.

Edit:
For me,
GX = 2004 Land Cruiser Prado 120 series 3.0D4D
LX = 2000 Land Cruiser 100 series 4.2TD

Don't know about the lexus / petrol variants + I also live in europe where roads are smaller, highways have a 80mph speed limit & diesel/petrol is very expensive.

Last edited:
I own both right now, a '05 GX and '03 LX.

The LX with AHC has a much better ride, more room, and is a cooler truck.
The GX is much faster and more nimble.

My wife prefers the GX, I prefer the LX. I do wish the LX had the get up and go the GX did.

Otherwise, both are great trucks. Take your pic.

I've purchased two new 100 series (98 & 06 LX470), and two new 120 series (03 GX470 & 04 4runner V8 4WD Limited). Of those vehicles, I still have the 06 LX.

The 120 series seems quicker and more nimble in town, but the interior is considerably smaller. They're "good" vehicles, but if you've ever owned an 80 or 100 series, they do seem somewhat "built within a budget" or "just good enough" when compared to the Land Cruiser.

My order of preference:
06 LX470
98 LX470
03 GX470
04 4runner

I have an '04 that I bought from the original owner at 202,000 miles. It now has 235,000 miles with just basic maintenance. My only real gripe is lack of storage space...not so much overall, but aside from the glovebox and stupid center console, there's no place for storing small things. Minor, but still an annoyance. My perspective is different - I came from mini-trucks so the GX is downright posh. As others have said, it's peppy and nimble and very comfortable for long trips...much better than being maxed-out at 45 MPH in 3rd gear in a mini-truck with 35's 😂

Another big concern is reliability. I want to be able to do the basic maintenance on it without having a new par
I have an '04 that I bought from the original owner at 202,000 miles. It now has 235,000 miles with just basic maintenance. My only real gripe is lack of storage space...not so much overall, but aside from the glovebox and stupid center console, there's no place for storing small things. Minor, but still an annoyance. My perspective is different - I came from mini-trucks so the GX is downright posh. As others have said, it's peppy and nimble and very comfortable for long trips...much better than being maxed-out at 45 MPH in 3rd gear in a mini-truck with 35's 😂
last rig was a 91 pu 22RE on 33 so I feel that 😂

A 100 series would hold its value a little better than a GX, has more room in it and will consume more gas and be less responsive to the skinny pedal. It also comes with a proper tailgate! Much more rare than almost any other Toyota.

A GX would have the same engine transmission, but is more nimble and responsive, slightly more fuel efficient, has better aftermarket support and will probably be less expensive to buy. There are lot more to choose from and believe it or not, they actually have larger foot room in the second row!

I'd say test drive a clean, well maintained GX and decide for yourself. It's hard to go wrong with either.

Prior to buying my 100, I test drove a GX470. Loved the 'peppy' nature of it, but I found the interior wasn't as comfortable as a 100. Personal preference. Remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

the GX is faster. Also has a terrible rear door, no rear heat, no power 3rd row windows, annoyingly narrow inside compared to a 100, can't open any door but the driver's door with the key.. but yeah it's a little faster. what year 100 do you have? for me switching would depend on model year, mostly all about the transmission.

the GX is faster. Also has a terrible rear door, no rear heat, no power 3rd row windows, annoyingly narrow inside compared to a 100, can't open any door but the driver's door with the key.. but yeah it's a little faster. what year 100 do you have? for me switching would depend on model year, mostly all about the transmission.

Will add can't open rear door or unlock it from inside and the back doors are part of the wheel well area and fill with mud an ice and are easily frozen shut in the winter.

I drive a 98 LX and the wife has a 2005 GX. She likes hers better and I like mine better.

I thought about making this trade but once I packed me and the fam in the LC for a week of camping, I realized I literally can't do with even a ft^3 less cargo space. Thing my only logical move from here will be the 200 in 5-10 years or the Grenadier if it's not DOA with that BMW engine. *fingers crossed*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom