100 series sleeping setup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I made a simple storage/sleeping platform. With seats folded flat and a 4" memory foam topper it's very comfy.

IMG_20190909_192721.jpg

IMG_20191002_135316.jpg

I would use 3/4" for anything that's taking much weight, but I think the KISS and SS1 kits both use 1/2". I could be wrong, through.

SS1 is 1/2". I recall the KISS system being 3/4, but can't confirm.

I think even 1/2" is overkill for 99.9% of users. See my gun safe pic or @Kyle Bell putting nearly 1000 lbs on the 1/2" SS1. The 1/2 panels of good quality Baltic Birch are very strong. Unless you're loading hundreds of pounds of steel rails into your cargo area and placing them right in the middle of the panels, 1/2" should hold anything you put on the platform.

Pending on what drawer slides you use, the slides will fail well before the 1/2" material would, if you're using typical dovetail joints in the corners.

That being said, if you're using plywood from Home Depot, 3/4" is probably a good idea.

Can I ask where you bought the UHMW slide material?

I started on my drawer/platform build over the weekend. It's about 90% done, not including staining. Will ultimately carpet it.

Big priority was strength as the whole purpose for me is a sleeping platform. I used 3/4" birch for the main box and 1/2" for the actual drawers. I took a page from @Magnetic 111 followed his design in mine. I also built in a small space between the drawers and back of the 2nd row for a small cubby.

-UHMW slides
-Felt tape between all wood-to-wood joints to keep squeaks away
-Pocket hole screws on all joints except the top panel and 'rear' panel (facing the back of the 2nd row). Otherwise, no exposed hardware inside the drawers or on the main face in front of the tail gate
-Routed out sections to slide some 1/2" dividers in various sections of the drawers
-Recessed magnets inside the drawer face to help keep them in place. They slide smoothly but shouldn't move without intent.
-One sleep panel is cut and installed, the other needs a trim for width but is already drilled for the piano hinge. Ultimately will give lots of totally flat space inside with 2nd row folded down
-Wings on the side need to be cut, shaped, and attached. Plan is for one side to hold a quick fitting for my compressor and some power accessories.

View attachment 2181484

View attachment 2181485

View attachment 2181486

View attachment 2181487

View attachment 2181489

The last photo shows it in action with a DAC tent and Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp. I sleep with the cooler slide extended to give me more room inside and so I don't have to listen to the cooler buzzing right next to my head. :cool:

View attachment 2092327

@terrapin love the simplicity. Which size DAC tent is that? And does it fit well? (reasonably weather tight)

@terrapin love the simplicity. Which size DAC tent is that? And does it fit well? (reasonably weather tight)

I've used the DAC full-sized truck tent for 5 years now and it works great and is easy to set up. It fits pretty tight, so I use an adjustable trekking pole to help hold up the hatch. However, it does not seal very well along the sides and especially on the roof where it goes over the roof rack. Bugs are not much of a problem where I live, but last fall I was camping in an exposed area and when the wind came from the front of the vehicle, the tent acted like a scoop and funneled cold air onto me all night long.

The next morning I fixed the roof rack leak by stuffing it with an Army blanket and used a bit of duct tape to hold the sides of the tent to the rear quarter windows. I think a long bungee cord from one rear wheel over the top to the other wheel would hold the sides in place, but something would still have to be used the fill the 2-inch gap from the roof rack. The open hatch fills most of the gap, but the wind still finds it's way in.

I've also boxed in the tailgate/hatch area with 1-inch R-Tech insulating foam and 1/2 inch foam for the windows. It's kind of bulky carrying around all that foam, but it makes things pretty cozy when it's cold. Of course, in the summer I leave all that stuff home!

IMG_1938.JPG

Last edited:
I am selling my sleeping platform that I detailed earlier in this thread.

If anyone is close to Denver and interested, this has been a great camping solution for us the last few years.

Mud Listing
Craigslist Post

I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to a classified listing here so please feel free to remove it, mods, if it shouldn't be here. I just figured someone might be interested in it considering the topic of this thread.

And for those wondering, the new Reef system is same height as the old KISS drawers, so just like @1toy above very good sleeping platform.

Oh, and for those of you building hardcore rigs and removing your 2nd row seating, I will have a Reef module that extends the top as a full sleeping platform. Pretty easy to get to market once I have the core Reef drawers in smooth production....

Fred, we were talking about your rear mesh set up over the weekend. I think we may still your idea. Love it!

@sammybones

they definitely make it more comfortable inside. I think the only thing I would have done differently would be to add a few more magnets. another source for cheap netting is to look at black window sheers. I just used that for a hammock project. I forget how high the back of the truck is but the sheers were 55x108”. Walmart has em but I got mine from amazon for less than $7 I think.

here’s the link to the ones on amazon. Nice thing about these is they really don’t fray when u cut em. I would still do a border to protect the edges though.

Very nice bed-setups in the rear!

Here is my LC 200 bed, where I did live for over an year, doing trips like transafrica, south america or europe

P1000679.JPG

Pics comes from somewhere in Bolivia: Salar de Uyuni

Possible to live and travel for 2 people (just a 2 seater now) - too with a height of 1.94cm and the need for a big bed...

I will stick to the SS1 by airdowngearup because it doesn't have the solid wood dividers. You lose a lot of space and limit what you can bring once you make a solid box.

Another vote for the maximum storage space that comes from no drawers (maybe that should be the SS1 tag line "no drawers" LOL):

22D611AF-A844-410E-A2E1-45F2E19C6B1B_1_105_c.jpeg

Another vote for the maximum storage space that comes from no drawers (maybe that should be the SS1 tag line "no drawers" LOL):

View attachment 2378243

I ended up installing one drawer to act as my kitchen when camping, but man seeing it back wide open like that is nice!

A big key to getting the SS1 to work is adapting the right tools and bags to fit . When fully loaded I have every square inch accounted for and I can fit every necessity for the trip at hand.

Once you take up the little space between the sleeper and the second row of seats you know you have reached storage perfection.

Anyone out there remove a middle row seat and adapt a box or more storage using the SS1?

Anyone out there remove a middle row seat and adapt a box or more storage using the SS1?

I lowered my SS1 platform for more headroom by using 8 inch legs and used two Front Runner Wolf Pack boxes in place of the middle seats. My "drawers" (partially seen on the right) are straight wall shipping containers (48" x 15" x 7.5").
IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

I lowered my SS1 platform for more headroom by using 8 inch legs and used two Front Runner Wolf Pack boxes in place of the middle seats. My "drawers" (partially seen on the right) are straight wall shipping containers (48" x 15" x 7.5").
View attachment 2378298
View attachment 2378299
Nice, I like the concept only problem is I am a sissy so I sleep with a big mattress on top of the platform. So bad for head room, but not sure I would be able to get into those bins once fully loaded.

I'd like to remove the single seat behind passenger and make up a box that would be accessible from the door but don't have the skill to make one up, maybe something using those bins would work. Thanks for the pics

Built myself a quick sleeping setup for about $30. Heading up by a lake for a couple days and wanted to save my money for fun stuff, not spend it all on hotels.

20200728_170212.jpg

20200728_172120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom