100 series = Rock Star (story of a Colorado off-road trip) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You all know this (100 series rock!), but I took my '99 LX (316K miles) four-wheeling for the first time in southwest Colo. last week, and it performed extremely well. It out-performed my FJ62 in most ways, which surprised me.

My brother and I have taken my '89 FJ62 on past trips, and had no troubles, but banged the diffs and axle housings on rocks (stock height truck on 31s) and had to do much spotting. I put my LX on the 'high' suspension setting, and we literally never hit a rock underneath (see beer case photo below that shows High, Normal, and Low height). I managed 12 mpg offroad, and 17.4 on the highway (65-70 MPH, with mountain passes) on the way back. I was surprised at how well the 4.7 pulled on mountain passes using lower gears and higher RPM.

Super comfy. No check engine lights or malfunctions of any kind, and we rattled the crap out of it near Silverton, Bonanza, and on Engineer Pass and up to the Buffalo Boy mine in Silverton. A few UTV drivers looked at me and my truck like we were Martians, and I joked with one '....I think you'll make it in that thing'.

Ran into a lot of rain and snow on Engineer Pass. I have a rear e-locker (axle swapped from a '99 LC) and used it, as my tires are about shot. Saw a photogenic Marmot, lots of mine ruins, drank beer, and had a great time. The tailgate, as you all know, is critical for camping.

Last year, a co-worker remarked, 'You must have a great deal of confidence taking a high-mileage vehicle that far off road' - and I replied that I did. Lots of maintenance and (and good engineering by Toyota) means trucks like this will get you there and back. It's smooth as glass at 80 mph, and just as 'at home' in 4 Low at 2 MPH.

So, this 100-series skeptic (and my brother, who owns a 200) were quite impressed with this truck off road and loaded heavily getting there and back. I love my FJ40 and FJ62, and can say that the 100, after this trip, proved its mettle.

Steve

P1030930.JPG

P1040040.JPG

P1040050.JPG

P1040066.JPG

CombinedHeightAnno.jpg

I agree, 100s tend to surprise! I know a few guys who upgraded to an 100 after owning an 80 and were pleasantly surprised!

The trip looks great too! We went to that area for the first time last month and fell in love with it! Our 100 went everywhere I pointed it to without any drama.

20230830_145726.jpg

That is a blast! Didn't expect the AHC can do all that until today. All I hear leaky AHC's and people just swap it out to LC suspension. Wish my LC came with AHC now! Getting that gas mileage is another significant achievement. This build more confidence in me on my LC, which last year blew the trans at 245K miles. I was bit worried about taking the LC out of town again, but I did about 10K miles since the rebuild and it is doing great.. may be I'll head towards CO. I spend most of the time in vast barren lands in west TX.

The nice thing about AHC is not just a +2" lift on-demand without affecting highway driving, but also a -2" low-mode when driving off-camber. At least it brings some extra peace-of-mind :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom