100 series Production Numbers for the USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The LC and LX's were definitely priced too closely. In '07 the difference is $10K (base vs. base), which is not much to someone shopping in the $60K price range; especially when one says Japanese Toyota and one says Luxury Lexus (to the luxury SUV buyer).

I also agree with the thought that the Lexus buyer is looking for a spiffy luxury SUV which they won't keep as long, one reason for the dropoff in LX sales as buyers found the LX lacking luxury features (cooled seats, hids, etc).

Maybe the big '06 LX drop was due to the RR Sport and new Escalade?

In any event, it will be interesting to see how Lexus responds with the new offering, and whether or not they get back to that 10K mark.

I believe the drop in 06 has to do with the high gas prices, it hit all suvs hard.

My first round on a 100 did not involve looking at the LX because I heard about the $10K difference. The 2nd time, I was surprized to see the prices were similar. Even for new sales, the dealer packs and "options" that always were found on the LCs placed them within about $3K of the new LX. The LX rarely has dealer packs, so it represents actual value, plus the service and warranty are significantly better than a Toyota.

Both the LC and LX tend to be leased - though on the used market, there are more LXs. In general, if one is going to lease a $65K LC, why not opt for the $68K LX with its better warranty (50K miles), service, and resale. If Toyota would quit loading up the LC with mandatory "options" and pure profit dealer packs so that the typical LC actually sold for $10K less than LX, more LCs would be sold.

Well, for us, it's not Toyota's fault, it's GST & SET. Not sure about the gas theory though; 05 had a similar spike and numbers only fell from 16->13. The 05 spike also had a much, much greater knee-jerk reaction than the '06 one did (at least in the used car market).

I bought my 06 because the gas prices killed sales, and the dealers were doing everything possible to unload their sales committments. They also had slowing sales because the platform is a bit dated, and the Yuppie buyers were moving towards Escalades and Navigators.

The LC's were almost "orders only" and it had less effect. The LX's are stocked much more frequently, in the Southwest at least, and the prices took a big hit as the dealers scrambled to sell.

Factoring in the negotiations, I paid nothing extra to go from a LC to an LX. LC dealers would barely even negotiate. The LX dealers dropped trow.

I bought my 94 LC in a similar situation. In very early 1995, a bunch of december built 94's hit the US market at reduced prices. I've always wondered what happened to cause it.

Last edited:
I suspect those figures will bounce back up to the 20k+ units range once the 200 series comes out. Who wants to buy a 10 year old body style for $60k? ;p

ME!!!!! I like buying late in the production cycle. They have all the bugs worked out, and you often get the same thing for less.

(sorry I'm posting so much. Between my recent 2200 mile trip and the Slee bumper coming out, I'm obsessing again.) :doh:

Last edited:
ME TOO. i so wanted an old body style 4 runner, then they 'modernized' it. no offense to those with the new body style, but it's not for me.

I loved the 80 series LC from it's inception and i have loved the 100 from it's debut 10 years ago. I really don't know what toyo/lex is planning to do with the new version and i personally don't really care. I fear that the design changes will not be something i care for aesthetically (judging from the spy shots). It'll probably have tons of HP/torque, a great new interior with a 10" nav screen, better 3rd row seating, better MPG, etc... BUUUUUUUUT, it's not going to be available for a long time and i was coming off lease. also, with the arguable drop in quality that seems to be happening with the post 05 LC/LX, the idea of a new body style just scares me.

60+K is a ton of cash for me sign off on. i trust that the new 07 LX will be reliable. i couldn't say that about the GL450 i was considering.... i'm not sure if the 08 is going to be as bullet proof as i require for a vehicle at that price point. hope it will be, and maybe i'll trade up. maybe it won't be.

it's all about timing, risk and personal taste.

jp

I'd guess the '06 drop is what hit the whole SUV segment: gas prices. The gas price spike in '05 was really in early September, right after Katrina, and most factories were retooling or already producing MY'06 vehicles by then.

That is a pathetic decline :frown: I wonder where the line is for shutting down the US market on Land Cruisers? Hopefully it never happens, but with that trend, it will be in a few years! Appears to drop by 50% every 3 years.

The sales dropoff coincide with the introduction of the Sequoia.

I think the toughest comeptition for the 100 has come from Toyota itself. Sequoia,4Runner/GX470, Quad-cab Tundra/Taco and even the FJ Cruiser are attractive to many of the same buyers and all have been introduced or redesigned after the 100.

I would be interested in worldwide sales and trends and what they may mean for the future of the LC wagon.

I think the toughest comeptition for the 100 has come from Toyota itself. Sequoia,4Runner/GX470, Quad-cab Tundra/Taco and even the FJ Cruiser are attractive to many of the same buyers and all have been introduced or redesigned after the 100.

I would be interested in worldwide sales and trends and what they may mean for the future of the LC wagon.

You're assuming everyone can afford a $55,000ish rig ;) .

No, but everyone who can afford a 100 could also choose to buy any of the others I listed if it met their requirements.

I think 100 owners value dependability and quality. Those going for luxury "cache" are going to trend for the Rover and Mercedes offerings. Those who want bling can buy a Escalade. The Tahoe/Yukon is GMs strongest product and they have defended it well, even to the point of improving quality (who says GM can't innovate;) ).

When I was looking for my new SUV the #1 requirement was that it be built by Toyota or Honda and Honda doesn't have a real 4x4 yet.

The future Toyota full-size SUV may have to share a platform with the Tundra to be cost effective. I think phasing out Sequoia at the next model change and introducing a LandCruiser based on the new Tundra is an obvious marketing move. Keep the LC more utilitarian/conservative and bring out a Lexus with more bling. Right now the 100 fills a spot in Toyotas line that is too small. It shares/steals market from the 4runner/GX470 and Sequoia. Lexus needs the LX470 but won't if they can bring in a quality Sequoia-based product.

But maybe the world market can support a dedicated platform for a full-sized wagon and the NA market will continue to get a piece of the production. Here's to hoping.

Last edited:
I have the 2007 Year-To-Date numbers but there's still a month left. So as of November 2007:

LC's 2,063
LX's 2,337
Total YTD 4,400

So far... 181,819 100 series sold in the US... which is at least double the number of 80 series sold in the US.

the 2007 "Limited Edition" LX470s might be........whats funny is they have the chrome door handles and lower trim at the bottom of the windows................which comes stock on the base base landcruisers in the other parts of the world.

us Americans.......

Surprised to see that the ratio of LX/Lc was not bigger. Around here, one almost only see LXs out on the roads.
Crome doorhandles? yuck!

sitting at a light today i noticed 7 LX470s of varying years...i wish i had a camera. Another time i was following a couple LX's all in line. they are super popular around here.

sitting at a light today i noticed 7 LX470s of varying years...i wish i had a camera. Another time i was following a couple LX's all in line. they are super popular around here.

All those successful Wall Street types ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom