100 for an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I know I've always said 100>80 but....

For whatever reason I have been having the goofy idea to sell my 99 LC for a 96-97 80. This all started when I saw a stock local triple locked 97 LC in white at the gas station and it has gone downhill from there.

I guess I just want to try something new, especially since I have another 06 LX. That and I've never owned an 80. Figured I should, as at some point I will have a 200.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I would probably daily drive it and give the 06 LX to the mother of my children. And assume similar condition of both 99 100 and the 96-97 80. So basically I'm actually going from an 06 LX to the 80. Hmm

image.jpeg

You do you, but in my opinion the 80 is a pretty big step down for daily driving. If you wanted to do a lot more wheeling, maybe you’d be onto something. But even then, I would just add lockers and suspension mods to a 100. Which is what I did. For most of us these trucks are about our happiness and pleasure of driving, so do whatever you want!

I bought a supercharged, super clean 80 this summer, thinking I would fall in love it with it and sell my 100 - which incidentally is for sale, but I just can't cut the cord from the 100. I drive both equally, I love the simplicity of the 80, but the gas mileage is atrocious. I get about 160 miles out of a tank. The 100 is easier, more comfort, and just does everything well. I have car/truck ADD, I rotate the fleet once a year or so, but I just can't envision not having a 100.

T2eBPmb

T2eBPmb.jpg

I know I probably shouldn't do it but I also know myself and I am dangerously close to what probably is a bad decision.

Incidentally, go blue!

image.jpeg

I just moved to an '06LC from a '97 80. I loved the 80. I daily drove it for 10 years in the mountains. It was the best vehicle I've ever owned. It felt so solid and rugged. It had an OME 2.5" lift on it, was triple locked and had some other light mods. It truly was a great truck. BUT, after driving the 100 for a few weeks, I would never go back to DDing an 80. The ride is just so rudimentary compared to the 100. I would like another 80 as a toy for wheeling, however. But that isn't in the budget at this point.

It seems to me that there is a line between the 80 and 100 series with the 80 being on the utilitarian side and the 100 being on the comfort side. Toyota has been approaching that line with LC's over the years and finally crossed it with the 100, IMO.

I'd do it if I had another Hundy in the family.

I bought a supercharged, super clean 80 this summer, thinking I would fall in love it with it and sell my 100 - which incidentally is for sale, but I just can't cut the cord from the 100. I drive both equally, I love the simplicity of the 80, but the gas mileage is atrocious. I get about 160 miles out of a tank. The 100 is easier, more comfort, and just does everything well. I have car/truck ADD, I rotate the fleet once a year or so, but I just can't envision not having a 100.

Is the interior room in the 80 similar to the 100?

Somewhat off-topic--how did the 200 compare? Why did you get rid of that and go back to a 100?

T2eBPmb

T2eBPmb.jpg

160 miles?? out of 25 gallons... there is something wrong with it if you are only getting 6.4 MPG

my old 3fe 80 on 39's could still eeek out 10mpg... 12 if all highway.

Is the interior room in the 80 similar to the 100?

Somewhat off-topic--how did the 200 compare? Why did you get rid of that and go back to a 100?

The 100 is a little larger I'd say, I'm not sure of the measurements, but it feels larger.

I didn't like the 200 (unless I was towing), it was to numb for me.

160 miles?? out of 25 gallons... there is something wrong with it if you are only getting 6.4 MPG

my old 3fe 80 on 39's could still eeek out 10mpg... 12 if all highway.

Maybe that's my issue, I thought my tank was only 19 gallons, whenever I've filled up it's only ever taken 15-17 gallons, but the gauge reads pretty close to empty...my fuel gauge must not be reading correctly. MPG still sucks, but I guess it's not as bad as I thought!

Maybe that's my issue, I thought my tank was only 19 gallons, whenever I've filled up it's only ever taken 15-17 gallons, but the gauge reads pretty close to empty...my fuel gauge must not be reading correctly. MPG still sucks, but I guess it's not as bad as I thought!
light comes on with 5 gallons in the tank in the 80

I don’t know if I’d get rid of my 100. But I wanted an 80 before a 100, family first. I still want a ‘97 80...just buying some time.

Why compromise? Sell the '99, buy the 80, and keep the '06 for yourself. Its pretty awesome to have both and 80 and a 100.

This all started when I saw a stock local triple locked 97 LC in white at the gas station and it has gone downhill from there.

If that 80 is a Michigan native, DO NOT buy it. Go west and get something rust free. You will be spending more time wrenching if you own an 80 and even a hint of rust will make that a miserable experience.

I loved my 80 series, but as a daily driver the 100 series is a much, much better vehicle. I’ll own another 80 series, at some point in the future, but an 80 series will never be my daily driver again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom