10 Mpg ?!?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody,

First off: Thank you for this incredibly insightful forum. You all helped me purchase my 99 LC. After losing my 93 4Runner (200k mi) to vandals ,(no, I doidn't piss anyone off, just the potentail hazard of living in Chicago) I decided to upgrade!

- 1999 LC, 75k mi, grey/grey, no wood, rear locker, 5 year powertrain warranty, perfect condition!: $18,300
- installed the ipod2car adaptor
- plans for drawer system, larger tires, black steel wheels (?)

MY QUESTION: after my first tank, I did the calculation: 10 MPG!!! I took it very easy on the car to see what my best case gas scenario would be. I drive about 80/20 city/hwy.... but 10 mpg? Do I have a problem? Where do I start?

Obviously I can take it 'in', but wanted your all's input.

PLEASE HELP

I have an 04 and my computer, under conservative driving, has been reading around 14 or 15 for 50/50 city/hwy driving.

usually 11-13 mpg for me 60/40 city/hwy but this morning, I calculated 10.5mpg--eek. This is with 35's. You're mileage should be slightly better.

stock 03: 17 or 18 on the freeway
in town more like 13 or 14 from memory

and Welcome!

Last edited:
By GregB
"My 01 has been averaging about 12-13 mpg with 80/20 city/hway."

I want your mileage! 80 mpg? :bounce:

C note said:
MY QUESTION: after my first tank, I did the calculation: 10 MPG!!! I took it very easy on the car to see what my best case gas scenario would be. I drive about 80/20 city/hwy.... but 10 mpg? Do I have a problem? Where do I start?

PLEASE HELP

Maybe in combination with the need of a tune up (maybe new plugs, fluid change, etc) and also the winter-formula gasoline?
I know east-coasters complain of winter gas spoiling their mpg's

no way to get a decent idea of fuel consumption on one tank. run 5 or 10 then assess. you may not have filled her up the first time. law of averages will either prove this tank as either an outlier or an indicator of rig requiring service.

$0.02

Where in Chicago do you live? If you're in the city with the repeated stop-and-go, I could very much see 10 mpg.

I live in the far northwest suburbs where we have less lights, so my mix is probably closer to a 60% highway 40% city.

My computer shows around 14-15mpg on average.

I get about 12-14mpg - what grade fuel ? You'll get better mileage with lower grade, risk of ping though. I use 89 no problems.

i4c4lo said:
By GregB
"My 01 has been averaging about 12-13 mpg with 80/20 city/hway."

I want your mileage! 80 mpg? :bounce:

That's 80 percent city/20 percent highway. Yeah, 80 mpg would be nice eh? It usually takes about 21 gallons for me to fill up. That comes out to 1680 miles per tank! :eek: I could live with that! :)

yeah, just filled up too. 21.5 gallons at $2.80/gal... $60!
Good thing I only put 6-7k miles a year on this thing.

I starts to suck when you put 17K to 23K a year like me! Has anyone with newer LC's or LX's noticed that your computer calculates the mileage a little better than what you actually get?

using 87. did tests. No significant mileage change compared to 91.
yes, comp seems to be about 1/2 mpg optimistic on ours.

C note said:
Hello everybody,

First off: Thank you for this incredibly insightful forum. You all helped me purchase my 99 LC. After losing my 93 4Runner (200k mi) to vandals ,(no, I doidn't piss anyone off, just the potentail hazard of living in Chicago) I decided to upgrade!

- 1999 LC, 75k mi, grey/grey, no wood, rear locker, 5 year powertrain warranty, perfect condition!: $18,300
- installed the ipod2car adaptor
- plans for drawer system, larger tires, black steel wheels (?)

PLEASE HELP

Check the air filter, tire pressure...etc.

Most here average around 14-15mpg with stock vehicle on-road.

FYI: I have seen mine at 7mpg for pure off-road, in mud, using lockers, etc....but mine is way heavily laden.

Maybe your wife drove it around with the e-brake engaged... like mine did once... :mad:

Pigeon said:
I get about 12-14mpg - what grade fuel ? You'll get better mileage with lower grade...

I don't want to move off topic but that's the complete opposite of my experience on any car/truck I've owned with a relatively high compression ratio.

I know my to be delivered 2006 LX specifies premium grade (91+) fuel.

I filled up today at Costco @ $2.39 a gallon, and figured it out to 12.2 MPG. I've gotten 18.2 MPG ONCE on a trip setting the cruise at 65 MPH. If I really watch it around town I can average 14 MPG.

One day when I have some time to burn I'll cruise 55 and get a mpg reading. 11mpg at 80mph (380 miles) with a box trailer on the interstate yesterday. Some good threads with expert and conflicting advice on premium vs. regular already on the forum.

My guess is a fluke for the 10mpg, but stop and go with a lead foot 12-14 wouldn't suprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom