10.4" TESLA-STYLE VERTICAL SCREEN ANDROID NAVIGATION RADIO FOR TOYOTA LAND CRUISER PRADO 2003 - 2009 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You must be special or lucky if you got good tech support from Phoenix. I yanked mine out and sold it because they could never get the right software to me to run my HVAC. I know others had it running perfectly, and Phoenix support couldn't be bothered to figure out which ROM and settings worked.

The more I read about the crapshoot that this Tesla unit is, the more inclined I am to go for the non-nav conversion.

at least with the non-nav conversion, I can deal with a company like crutchfield to get support connecting a head unit to the steering wheel controls and everything else. The only pains for the non-nav seem to be: 1) getting ahold of the right hvac controls from a scrapyard and 2) extending the 8 or 9 wires from the glovebox area to behind the center console.

once that is done, there is no headache with hvac buttons not working, and you can deal with a car stereo shop to handle the head unit / steering wheel controls / amp / etc

You should get it from Phoenix automotive. Their tech support is pretty good.

I’m glad you had good luck with them, but Phoenix and Rhino have the worst reputation of any company out there. They are just the middle-man to Alibaba. They cost more and they never return emails calls to 99% of their customers.

I’m glad you had good luck with them, but Phoenix and Rhino have the worst reputation of any company out there. They are just the middle-man to Alibaba. They cost more and they never return emails calls to 99% of their customers.

Well their tech FaceTimed me to resolve my issues. So I cannot complain too much. Even with a few little issues this unit is WAY better than my factory stuff.

If you want to give it a try, there's a FB group for a Russian developer, Sergey Kozlov, who sells a highly reviewed firmware update for these head units. Sounds super sketchy, I know. There's a post on the 100 series forums that's about 26 pages long detailing user stories with these head units, and recently a handful of folks have started using this guy's firmware and absolutely love it.

Haven't heard any reports about that custom firmware and the GX, and it's why I'm still waffling between tesla style and non-nav conversion. If it wasn't for the all the wiring work with the non-nav conversion, that'd be my top choice.

+1 for Sergey! I have the PX6 unit and bought his firmware the same day I installed the unit. He's super friendly and very helpful via Facebook Messenger. Best $100USD spent.

Some of the wire labels were in Chinese. Google Translate app is very helpful here to do realtime live video translation.

I've had my headunit since mid-May and I'm very happy with it. It's a great unit but the WAF (wife acceptance factor) isn't quite 100%. Sometimes it has weird quarks (which I know how to deal with), but my wife would get annoyed with it.

Disclaimer: I'm an engineer/developer so I have no qualms hacking on stuff like this. Not sure I'd recommend it for someone that wants a no-headache, plug-and-play system.

I’m starting to regret this thing. I’m waiting on their tech support to answer my 8 questions on feature-related inquires and tech issues.

But the most annoying thing? The ****ing glare. Just LOOK AT IT!! It’ll glare this bad no matter where the sun is unless it’s behind the vehicle. Any ideas on an anti-glare screen cover/protector that can be cut to size?

31B13C53-8A7F-42E6-852B-EF88A2258D34.jpeg

The factory 8.4” Uconnect screen in my 2018 Dodge Charger R/T doesn’t glare at all and I don’t even have window tint yet

Not sure what the screen size is, but you could try getting an anti glare film for one of the larger iPads, a laptop, or desktop monitor and then cutting it to size. They tend to be somewhat cheap on amazon (<$30).

even doing the non-nav conversion, a lot of folks ended up having to get anti glare screens for their tablets. my stock nav unit has the same issue. Without polarized sunglasses, it’s usually a pain to see.

Not sure what the screen size is, but you could try getting an anti glare film for one of the larger iPads, a laptop, or desktop monitor and then cutting it to size. They tend to be somewhat cheap on amazon (<$30).

even doing the non-nav conversion, a lot of folks ended up having to get anti glare screens for their tablets. my stock nav unit has the same issue. Without polarized sunglasses, it’s usually a pain to see.

That’s a great idea!!

Kind of unfortunate they weren't able to get both AC and fan speed as physical buttons as well. I think there's an older version that had that, but then the temp control was missing.

Kind of unfortunate they weren't able to get both AC and fan speed as physical buttons as well. I think there's an older version that had that, but then the temp control was missing.

^ That is absolutely truth. Volume knob too.

I've had mine installed since beginning of year. I'm a self taught computer guy so I have redneck skills at engineering, installing, etc. I installed my own stereos back in the day, fixed RROD on Xboxs, knew about XBMC long before it became KODI (look at me 😂)

This is def NOT something for anyone expecting. Turnkey experience. It's for the techy tinkerer.

However after carefully installing and obsessing about the details I've been very impressed with it.

My only real issue is the trim piece I chipped removing it 4-5 times. (I have the sport model so it's very rare to find on eBay, etc)

I've also never been able to use Google assistant outside of Android Auto.

I uninstalled the factory rear entertainment system and am installing a 10 inch after I realized the 13 inch was slightly too big.

I also bought the $10 reverse camera from Phoenix and installed it where the original was much better quality. Wasn't able to use housing so had to make my own.

I've had mine installed since beginning of year. I'm a self taught computer guy so I have redneck skills at engineering, installing, etc. I installed my own stereos back in the day, fixed RROD on Xboxs, knew about XBMC long before it became KODI (look at me 😂)

This is def NOT something for anyone expecting. Turnkey experience. It's for the techy tinkerer.

However after carefully installing and obsessing about the details I've been very impressed with it.

My only real issue is the trim piece I chipped removing it 4-5 times. (I have the sport model so it's very rare to find on eBay, etc)

I uninstalled the factory rear entertainment system and am installing a 10 inch after I realized the 13 inch was slightly too big.

I also bought the $10 reverse camera from Phoenix and installed it where the original was much better quality. Wasn't able to use housing so had to make my own.

What did you do for the factory rear entertainment system uninstall? Remove the screen and place something over the exposed headliner?

What did you do for the factory rear entertainment system uninstall? Remove the screen and place something over the exposed headliner?
In the process. I removed the factory unit. Ordered a 10 inch and will report when I have it installed. The Tesla unit will support it and there is an option only to show video on it which will be nice for the kids.

Right now there is a hole in my headliner.

If this doesn't work then I'll just reinstall the RES.

I initially ordered a 13.3 but it was too big. I would have had to remove some lamp and then would have had the issue of filling that void.

I thought about just getting a plate to cover the entire area that would be secured to the frame and then attaching flip down unit to it.

Hope that makes sense.

After reading this thread I'm curious on the FW from Serg.

Installed on my 05 Non nav GX470 CD player was originally in the dash for whatever thats worth...... Love this system as i now have bluetooth phone and music, front and rear cameras and navigation (even in no cell coverage areas with google maps offline feature )

My factory temp up control button was sticking a bit and this unit also took care of that with new control buttons (and adding the digital on screen controls as well) for just a small percentage of what the factory buttons cost.

20180123_155934 by Frank Moore, on Flickr

20180213_140712 by Frank Moore, on Flickr
Very NICE! I've seen this advertised, but i'll have to wait until after my lift, tyres, and rack/pinion replacement. Thanks for the post!!

I've had my PX6 for 6 months now and I still like it. Works good with the ML audio system. Pretty much only use the steering wheel controls so the screen visibility does not matter much. I also run torque in the background. The backup cam and the google or waze nav are much better than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom