10.4" TESLA-STYLE VERTICAL SCREEN ANDROID NAVIGATION RADIO FOR TOYOTA LAND CRUISER PRADO 2003 - 2009 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got an ‘08 GX w/factory NAV and looking to pull the trigger in this unit shortly:

A couple of questions I have are:

1. Has anyone ordered this unit from Phoenix in the last couple of months? They are claiming the new model has built-in carplay but I need to make 100% sure as carplay is 70% of the reason for me getting one for our GX.

2. Is there an aftermarket backup camera that fits in or with only slight modification to the factory location? (eg. replace the factory one with an aftermarket one in the same hole). If not if I install one on the spoiler what’s the best method/location to run the wires to the unit?

3. Has anyone also gotten the WiFi ODB II scanner that enables viewing of the vehicles vitals and such? Example: WiFi OBDII EML327 Adapter Scanner (Fits vertical screen units) - Does it show MPH? How well does it work?

4. Where’d you mount the GPS & Satellite radio antennas?

I’ll be having Best Buy install mine along with the satellite radio antenna and new backup camera so any upfront installation tips from those here who’ve done it is appreciated.

Hi Torgue,

Installed this unit over a month ago. The unit works with wired car play very well, but wireless car play has failed (claimed to be able to function on wireless). The wired connection is via an OTG cable which unfortunately on my unit failed to work after 2 weeks. I’m in the midst of sourcing for replacement unit which unfortunately is not easy as the cable with 8 pins at the back isn’t common.

Q2 - yes its easily available.

Q4 - gps antenna on mine is just stuck behind the headunit - somewhere inside the dash and I’ve had no issues with reception or gps detection lag when using waze.

Hope the above is of help.

Cheers from a lockedown Malaysia!
Surin

Hi Torgue,

Installed this unit over a month ago. The unit works with wired car play very well, but wireless car play has failed (claimed to be able to function on wireless). The wired connection is via an OTG cable which unfortunately on my unit failed to work after 2 weeks. I’m in the midst of sourcing for replacement unit which unfortunately is not easy as the cable with 8 pins at the back isn’t common.

Q2 - yes its easily available.

Q4 - gps antenna on mine is just stuck behind the headunit - somewhere inside the dash and I’ve had no issues with reception or gps detection lag when using waze.

Hope the above is of help.

Cheers from a lockedown Malaysia!
Surin

Great stuff thank you. Looking forward to hearing more feedback. :)

Any idea what backup cameras do fit in to that factory hole?

The BUC will need to be 12 volt. Yours is 6 volt. Some people have used a Rheostat, (sp) to drop the power down. I believe there is a BUC for sale that fits the original location. I have seen it on Amazon or Ebay. You would most likely need CanBus for the AC controllers. Possibly the Amp. I did one of the Phoenix a few years ago. Switched it out to a 9" Android HU. Yes, the ELM 327 will read your MPH. You will need a constant WiFi. I believe you can run Torque too. Please verify, it has been awhile since we had one of these units.

Many available on Ali Express - search LC 100 back up camera. Most of the designs replaces a number plate light into a camera cum plate light. Its easily available for approx usd20.

Surin

The BUC will need to be 12 volt. Yours is 6 volt. Some people have used a Rheostat, (sp) to drop the power down. I believe there is a BUC for sale that fits the original location. I have seen it on Amazon or Ebay. You would most likely need CanBus for the AC controllers. Possibly the Amp. I did one of the Phoenix a few years ago. Switched it out to a 9" Android HU. Yes, the ELM 327 will read your MPH. You will need a constant WiFi. I believe you can run Torque too. Please verify, it has been awhile since we had one of these units.

Thank you for the reply. First, what android headunit did you end up with?

Second, sounds like I should avoid the headache and put a new camera on the spoiler and ignore the factory one entirely.

I’m sure the WiFi connectivity should be pretty stable with these components all being close to each other.

Second, sounds like I should avoid the headache and put a new camera on the spoiler and ignore the factory one entirely.

I’m sure the WiFi connectivity should be pretty stable with these components all being close to each other.
New camera fits perfectly at d number plate light location as mentioned above. Its a new camera and run new wirings (provided in the purchase) to the head unit. It is very much plug and play from that end.

We ended up doing this unit. US $286.4 20% OFF|9 However, we are considering this unit for faster boot times. Online Shop 9"IPS Android 8.1 Car Radio Stereo Head Unit For Toyota Land Cruiser Prado(120) Lexus GX470 2004-2009 No CD Player Buit-in DSP | Aliexpress Mobile Nothing is wrong with the unit I have. It has CarPlay, BUC, FFC, Torque, Etc. Works well. Just thinking about installing a fasted start unit. First world problem, really.

HI All

i bought the android radio back in mid 19 and its never really worked....disappointing for sure. it looks great but the mediocre performance and many features that just dont work... i'd hesitate to recommend this. i dont daily drive the GX but i am growing frustrated and thinking there has to be some resolution. seems many people are having success.. Maybe someone knows the correct firmware or whatever may help get it mostly functional?!?!

1. from day 1, only the side buttons for climate controls work. the only on screen buttons that work are the air recycle, dual AC on/Off. the speed control, temp and zone (where the air comes from) dont. seems the hardware (canbus? interface) is working... since some on screen buttons work.
    1. I spent 4 hours on video conference with the android guys, we hooked back up the original Lexus climate controls, (everything worked) but ultimately they wanted me to try to load every version of firmware to see what works. i havent had the time for that!
  2. the RPM, speed things on the home screen never worked.
  3. the clock comes up with a different time just about every time i turn it on.
  4. Play store used to work, doesnt now. this means Spotify doesnt work now either, it needs updating.
    1. when Spotify used to work, it never stored/played back downloaded music.
  5. downloading a google map was never stored on the unit
  6. the built in music player (for memory stick with music on it) works fine, but there is no way to change to artist/album view, it just lists the songs. not good when you have a ton of organized music.
  7. Bluetooth audio works great with iPhone 7 and 11, but Pixel 3/4 have skips in the playback.
  8. dont really care about phone link, video, etc.

if i could get the climate control to work, i guess id be happy. seems to get the rest working, it needs updated firmware and probably a new android version if the play store isnt working??

if anyone can point me to working firmware version and maybe some reset instructions, id try that. im in an 06 with ML stereo.

Cheers
Chris L

HI All
Maybe someone knows the correct firmware or whatever may help get it mostly functional?!?!

if anyone can point me to working firmware version and maybe some reset instructions, id try that. im in an 06 with ML stereo.

Cheers
Chris L

If you want to give it a try, there's a FB group for a Russian developer, Sergey Kozlov, who sells a highly reviewed firmware update for these head units. Sounds super sketchy, I know. There's a post on the 100 series forums that's about 26 pages long detailing user stories with these head units, and recently a handful of folks have started using this guy's firmware and absolutely love it.

Haven't heard any reports about that custom firmware and the GX, and it's why I'm still waffling between tesla style and non-nav conversion. If it wasn't for the all the wiring work with the non-nav conversion, that'd be my top choice.

1. the clock comes up with a different time just about every time i turn it on.
  2. Play store used to work, doesnt now. this means Spotify doesnt work now either, it needs updating.
    1. when Spotify used to work, it never stored/played back downloaded music.
  3. downloading a google map was never stored on the unit
  4. Bluetooth audio works great with iPhone 7 and 11, but Pixel 3/4 have skips in the playback.
  5. dont really care about phone link, video, etc.

I'd say my Android unit is 95% functional. The side buttons don't work (depends on your vehicle OEM setup so that's normal) My only real complaint is the hardware is a bit outdated and slow sometimes but it's still a much nicer experience than using what came with the vehicle.

The other issues you list sound like it's losing power between power ups. My guess would be either incorrectly wired (it's not easy, worth checking) or the unit has a defect.

If you want to give it a try, there's a FB group for a Russian developer, Sergey Kozlov, who sells a highly reviewed firmware update for these head units. Sounds super sketchy, I know. There's a post on the 100 series forums that's about 26 pages long detailing user stories with these head units, and recently a handful of folks have started using this guy's firmware and absolutely love it.

Haven't heard any reports about that custom firmware and the GX, and it's why I'm still waffling between tesla style and non-nav conversion. If it wasn't for the all the wiring work with the non-nav conversion, that'd be my top choice.

Thanks for posting this! That's awesome someone is doing custom firmware. I thought the manufacturer was never going to update what they gave us.

I thought i was subscribed to this post but wasnt! Thanks @drowzyGX for the info on the alternate firmware, i think i may chase this down.

@BukkakeAisu i wish i could understand this issues im having. the unit remembers radio stations, wifi details, etc. seems related to storing things is my biggest issue. i dont really care about the clock, My music collection (memory stick on USB) has to reindex every time. i havent even hooked up the backup camera (or extra i bought for the front) because even the basics on this dont work. guess it may be time to try to chase down the alternate firmware or non nav HVAC swap.

I sent an email to support to see about firmware updates and reset options, we will see!

A guy on the Facebook group for Sergey Kozlov says there is a "new canbus decoder from Phoenix" that fixed his sound/AC issues. ill have to chase that down.

Also, although its more money, there is a new unit with Android 9.0 available on allied express. id bet this would at least resolve the playstore and other issues. Not sure if it resolved the AX control. Im thinking about the new unit... id have to spend about that much for the NonNav AC controls plus a new head unit anyway.

I haven’t used Sergey’s firmware yet, but a few guys on GXOR have and they like it. Mine is about 90-95% functional so before I do Sergey’s firmware I want to have a solid list of stuff I would like to correct. I bought mine off Alibaba due to the horror stories of non-existent customer service with Rhino and Phoenix. So far I am pleased. I have the PX6 9.0....OEM camera hooked up, Torque and CarScanner Pro (transmission temps), wireless CarPlay, all the goods.

If you go into it knowing there are glitches you will be pleased. I have to reset mine a few times a day. Sometimes on CarPlay my song starts but no volume....reset.

Offlin Google maps work. CarPlay = Waze, Podcasts, Webex.

Got mine installed today. Naturally have issues, some I got fixed but most I didn’t.

1. No audio at all. Zero.
2. AC controls on the screen do not work
3. Zlink got my carplay up and running using the usb cable. Runs mostly ok.
4. Hotspot from my phone connected once and now won’t connect again.
5. Cannot figure out how to change the meters to feet for the altimeter.
6. There are three connectors from the vehicle that do not have a home connector from the radio...
7. My right wood trim piece is almost cracked...I guess I have only one or two removals left before it cracks. So I really don’t want to take this out again. I had to remove it three times during installation.

Those are the main gripes so far. Overall I am a little unhappy but this will change to happy IF I can get most of all of these issues fixed.

2DAE6B16-E7D0-4C81-8DEE-AD8E9C047175.jpeg

91497879-DC15-4860-810B-3888B7F2D90E.jpeg

Got mine installed today. Naturally have issues, some I got fixed but most I didn’t.

1. No audio at all. Zero.
2. AC controls on the screen do not work
3. Zlink got my carplay up and running using the usb cable. Runs mostly ok.
4. Hotspot from my phone connected once and now won’t connect again.
5. Cannot figure out how to change the meters to feet for the altimeter.
6. There are three connectors from the vehicle that do not have a home connector from the radio...
7. My right wood trim piece is almost cracked...I guess I have only one or two removals left before it cracks. So I really don’t want to take this out again. I had to remove it three times during installation.

Those are the main gripes so far. Overall I am a little unhappy but this will change to happy IF I can get most of all of these issues fixed.

View attachment 2365536

View attachment 2365537

Did you turn the volume up on your OEM radio before taking it out? I turned mine up to 38 before taking it out. The AC temp up/down normally won’t work on the screen, but are you getting the fan speed, auto, recirc, etc to work on the screen? The 3 extra connectors on the car I think is what I had....don’t remember. Altimeter is weird...mine never worked. Leave the wood trim off until you can get everything tied up. Mine is the same. :(

I haven’t used Sergey’s firmware yet, but a few guys on GXOR have and they like it. Mine is about 90-95% functional so before I do Sergey’s firmware I want to have a solid list of stuff I would like to correct. I bought mine off Alibaba due to the horror stories of non-existent customer service with Rhino and Phoenix. So far I am pleased. I have the PX6 9.0....OEM camera hooked up, Torque and CarScanner Pro (transmission temps), wireless CarPlay, all the goods.

If you go into it knowing there are glitches you will be pleased. I have to reset mine a few times a day. Sometimes on CarPlay my song starts but no volume....reset.

Offlin Google maps work. CarPlay = Waze, Podcasts, Webex.

Do you mind sharing which vendor on alibaba did you get your unit? Ready to pull the trigger on a px6

Do you mind sharing which vendor on alibaba did you get your unit? Ready to pull the trigger on a px6

I messaged them first and got the dialogue going (John Liu was the contact’s name)....sent them pics of the back of my OEM unit and pictures Of the OEM harnesses. Someone else ordered from them and received the wrong harness....and the Alibaba people charged him to expedite shipping for the correct one....so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom