06 100 series died on me during a trail run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was at around 4200 feet and about 14 miles into a trail run yesterday when the cruiser started bogging down to when trying get up a hill. Would try to give her gas and it just wanted to die and eventually did. Tried to start her back up and it ran for a couple seconds and then would die again. Eventually when trying to start it, it would continue to try to start for a couple of seconds after I had stopped turning the key.

It sounded like it was not getting gas so I thought vapor locked, undid a the gas cap and a bunch of pressure was released. At the same time I also disconnected the battery for 20 minutes to reset the computer system. After doing both, it started right up and ran flawlessly for the rest day.

Questions for the mechanically inclined, anyone seen this before? Anything I should do before hitting the trails the next time? I am not mechanical so would love some opinions if I should take it into the shop or anything I may want to check out first.

If you got no codes during this event, this is not unheard of with a fuel pump going out.
No codes at all. Interesting and thanks for that!

Sorry to hear that man the 06 and 07 (VVTi model) fuel pump can be temperamental at 150k mileage and higher.
One contributing factor why the fuel pump behaves like that is because of how hot the fuel in the fuel tank gets. We all know that any equipment’s achilles heel is heat. The fuel tank sits just inches away from the exhaust pipe and causes the fuel to boiling temperatures (link). The solution to this is on that same thread which is to insulate the gas tank.
This will prolong the life of your new fuel pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom