01 LX or 06 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi. I am in the market for a 100 series and am currently looking at a 2001 LX470 with 175k miles and a 2006 LC 230k miles. Both are in about the same shape, service history, owners, etc. Owners are asking the same price.

The question, go for lower miles or newer make?

Inspection is key. All things equal and same price. 2006 hands down! More power, more refinements and less age on rubber, leather and plastic.. Higher market value!

As long as the one you’re going for has little/no rust, otherwise prepare for more repair time/cost than usual maintenance down the road. Rust just opens a can of worms from brake booster, AC lines, brake lines, body repair, windshield/sunroof leaks. Take the time to inspect both or any unit, check the FAQs area for pre-purchase checklist. Good luck and happy cruiser hunting.

Agreed with previous comments. Test drive them and see which you prefer. Arrange inspection on that one to see what you are in for. At 20 years old give or take, there will be things that need attention and if this is your first 100 then having this info will help you prepare.

Hypothetical question related to this topic. Better to go 200 with more miles or 100 less miles. No rest on either, both in great shape. Difficult predicament I can't seem to decide. Thank you for any help!

I'll add some more considerations having owned several 100's. The '06 will typically give a more pleasurable highway driving experience, but will also be a little more complicated when it comes time to replace cam seals and you will have a hard time upgrading the nav/radio technology. But the 5 speed and extra power is nice as is the steering wheel controls and VGRS. I would also assume the '06 may do a little better on fuel at highway speeds. If the 2001 is non-nav that's a plus in my book since those are easier to upgrade to aftermarket. I've also always felt like the '98-'02's feel a little more truck-like and rugged, just more of a utilitarian feel in my opinion. Hard to explain, but feels like it's geared lower so it feels like it has more torque at take off and the steering is more traditional. Really can't go wrong with either as long as you avoid rust and look for great service records. Most will recommend the '06 and my guess is it may hold it's value a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom