Rear Bench Seat...revisited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bslca.com
Ok, So I've searched and searched and searched. The last post of this issue was over a year ago (probably b/c it's all out there). However, I'm trying to put a bench in a '79 that could possibly fit 3 smallish (9,7,4 y/o) children. Anyone come up w/ anything or any ideas that's not in the older posts??

Quick link: but not sure it would fit 3. http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/interior.htm

May have to have brackets < 40" but seat onto the wheel wells... I don't know. My wife will kill me SOON if she has to keep putting up w/ the one crying b/c they have to ride w/ her and not in the 40 :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help and putting up w/ me.

S

Hey, I have a seat for sale that sits on the wheel wells and worked out great in my fj40. This picture on the listing is horrible (b/c I took it with my phone), but the seat has no tears and is in great condition, the color of the leather is black, great condition. Asking $150 obo, this seat is much longer than the one on the website you listed.:flipoff2:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=91940

contact 65swb45 (Mark's offroad.net), he had bench seat for sale a while ago, maybe still has. The type he has is actually wider than what your link shows

Thanks, I'll check. BadAss' bench looks great and it's certainly a good price but sure would like the tumble versions... I know ... you're going to say that tumble will NEVER fit 3.

Thanks again.
S

I'd say you definitely have to use a seat mounted over the top of the fenderwells, though the seat bottom need only extend over each wheel well enough to provide a little hip and wiggle room. Legs would still go between the wheel wells unless you mounted the seat even higher which brings rollover height concerns into play.

I'd fab brackets that used the roll bar bolts/captive nuts and also used legs to the floor. A couple lengths of square tubing could serve to mount a myriad of seats. Forget fold and tumble, IMO. With the seat's height, you'll have under seat storage available. Install a net below the front of the seat to prevent cargo travel forward. Add another net or tied down tarp from the seat back to the rear of the body to keep cargo from coming overhead in an emergency situation. Options abound.

PScottBx said:
Ok, I'm sorry HawkDriver had a thread this year that putting an "s" in seat(s) brought up his thread.. but I still could use the help.

BadAss... look in this thread and tell me if that's what you have. ...and thanks again: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42759&highlight=rear+bench+seat

S

My seat is identical to that except does not have armrest and my leather is black. Event the stich on the leather is the same as mine.

Does tumble mean that the back of the seat folds? If it does my seat does that.

Why not check on putting a front bench(from a early cruiser) in and put above bench in the back?
Now I dont know if it would work but its a thought.
I bought a Ford bench to put on the rear fenders and it was WAY too tall, The space between the fenders isnt really wide enough for 3 kids in seatbelts.
Good luck!

I think your on the right track with the older style rear bench seats over both wheel wells. It will fit 4 children. Of course if you have a 79 roll bar you would have to modify a little. Scott, when you do get this done... Post up some pics. Would like to see how it came out.

I used all the seats out of a Saab 900 turbo - front buckets in front on custom seat bracket and the rear hatchback fold forward seat in the rear. It was a little more work to fab up, still waiting on my drawer/seat base to get the final install and it really only works with a full, family style cage. It is wide and comfortable, would be great for kids because adults don't have much headroom with the shade top on.

$50 at the junk yard. Full size bronco, dodge ram, Blazer. I found some that fit over the wheel well and between the metal tech. All have three seat belts mounted to the seat and fold forward. I have three kids in car seats, so I have been looking.

Hey, thanks to you all. I'm going to look a bit but the reality of a fixed seat is setting in. Vitesse, I've seen someone mention this in a thread (putting older front seats in the rear) but never seen the pix. I'll look into it and it's a good idea, thanks. I've heard of putting the Ford bench on the wells w/ cut supports but not seen it either.

Gonna make a pass by the salvage yard and a few calls and see what happens. I'll post a few when I get it in... unless it looks like crap! Gotta fit 3 kids or have to go back to the crew cab p/u!

Thanks again for the help.
Keep postin if you have ANY ideas at all.

S

I saw a while back a picture of someone using a bench seat out of a full size bronco but they mounted it on to of the wheel wells. Tried to find it but couldn't.

- Rico.

I've got the Con-Ferr bench seat in the back of my '74 FJ40.

Any good tricks for mounting seat belts? I don't have a good (I mean easy) way to tie them into anything structural. I don't want to bolt the seat balts to sheet metal....

Thanks -

Rocky

Rocky, I've seen folks either buy or fab up the tabs that go on the roll bar for one side to fit one side and then create a crossbar on that seat or mount the other end to floor of the rig. I think that in this area they had to fab up something under the floor for support but wasn't just hooked to the metal. I'll have to look for some pics. Although that metal would probably stop a bus. As far mounting to the roll bar...look at that original link at the top of the thread.

Good luck
S

the 'badass' seat is the one I have and that Mark sells (Confer-made); it would seat 3 children, or three normal sized adults (tightly), but it does not accomodate three oversize adults ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom