Cutting fenders and Paint for CM06 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

helocat

Tube is your buddy!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.metaltech4x4.com
Two weeks before we leave for CM06, the shop is busy with cage orders and the final touches on some new parts for the 80s. So what’s better to do than rip your truck apart two weeks before an event! (I dont get to work on my own truck often!)

I have always wanted to paint one of my cruisers Orange. With Hennery C. and Chris Hatfield’s help I now have a gallon of paint that is the factory Toyota South American color of paint! Orange is also my 3 yr olds favorite color so he is stoked that the 80 is about to be orange. (Ok and its OSU Beaver color, I'm a Beaver.)

First up, more clearance for the 37” Iroks. The fender is taped for the cut, then removed to be plasma cut on the welding table. This is adding 3” of extra clearance w/o a body lift.
tapedpor7wv.jpg

Fender back on now cut. You can see how much of the inner fender well has to be modified.
plasmapor1us.jpg

I got to it and forgot to get a photo of modifying the inner well. I am doing the right side tonight and will up date with some photos showing how I did this. I cut the inner fender inward into strips about 3” wide, faned them outward then welded in strips of new sheet metal forming the inner wheel well. Once these were in place I then trimmed them to fit the profile of fender. I will need to use body joint sealer for the thin open parts of the fanned out inner fender but it is solid and can take rocks thrown from the tires.
fenderdonepor4nd.jpg

Mark

John Rugburn jumped the truck last night and pulled the trim items off and yanked all the inner door seals. (Thanks John!) Gota paint the inner doors with the color change. Can’t have an Orange truck with green door sills!
preppaintpor5xx.jpg

Once paint is done then its time to pull both axels to change gears to 5.29’s and swap out the e-lockers for ARB’s and toss in a set of Long’s inners and outers. Tick tock.

More photos to come as I get shooting the paint.

Mark

Note: On top of the truck is a few new body parts from Toyota, hood, valence and a head light.

Scuff those inners and get some material on those jambs.

Loooking good Mark.

Sweet Can't wait to see the outcome. When are you getting on that roll cage??

Paint that biatch up good and proper so you can get really pissed when you lay it on it's side...............:D

clarkrw3 said:
Sweet Can't wait to see the outcome. When are you getting on that roll cage??

I heard that he was going to bring the beta customer version to CM and let me put it in mine..............:flipoff2:

helocat said:
Once paint is done then its time to pull both axels to change gears to 5.29’s and swap out the e-lockers for ARB’s and toss in a set of Long’s inners and outers. Tick tock.

More photos to come as I get shooting the paint.

Mark

Why are you pulling the E-lockers out? Just curious? :confused:

A lot of work to save a couple seconds.

lookin suhweet Mark!!! PLENTY of time before CM06!!

(this better not be taking important time from your "other" projects...hehehe)

FJBen said:

So he can sell them to me? DIBS!!

When wheeled hard the rear axle can break locking the diff in the housing. I can see changing it on a hardcore 80.

What type of wax are you going to use, applied with what color of micro fiber towels?

What type of oils are you using?

Are you doing a PM headgasket, will you be worried about it blowing at the event?

There, now this thread is more fitting for this forum!:bounce: :bounce:

Looks good. I dig the orange beadlocks. Now paint that baby up and get some armor on it!

I'm almost as excited to see this one done as I am seeing my rig with your new sliders on it. And rear bumper. And some larger tires. Oh, and a rack. And a drawer for the back.

Man, I need another job.

Tools R Us said:
When wheeled hard the rear axle can break locking the diff in the housing. I can see changing it on a hardcore 80.

IIRC, either Christo or Action Jackson had a thread about this and what a bitch it was to get out.

Yep, I talked with Mark about the switch to ARBs. It is in fact due to the potential for axle breakage and dealing with the outcome. 37s are pretty big meats. Plus he is doing 5.29s.

Oh and he isn't cutting up a perfectly good 80. The reason for paint is because the PS fender doesn't match. But even if he was, I still think it is cool. Much better idea in my opinion than going with a really huge body lift and suspension lift or limiting the lift with bump stops.

Mark, You are a super welder looking at your inner fender. I had a heck of time welding just the 4 sq inches I took out in the rear of mine!

Steve, I've been waiting to see yours outfitted for a while now!! Gots to see it before I make my decisions.

LandCruiserPhil said:
Are you cutting the rear also?
I need to move the rear axel back a few inches to really gain much with cutting the rear. I don’t have time before CM to re-link the truck but that will be the project post CM. (12” coilover Swayaways for the front sitting on the shelf.)

FJBen said:

Few reasons #1 I like to cycle the front locker as I shoot an obstacle. I have personally helped two e-locked trucks that the electric motor got too hot and the Toyota glued magnets came unglued and took out the motor. These were extreme cases and one I am sure was due to ghetto wiring (was in a FJ40), the other was just too much switch action in the 80.

#2 Metal-tech is now an ARB dealer
#3 I am pulling the carrier anyway to stuff in the 5.29’s so why I am in there…..
I don’t doubt I will have a problem finding a new home for the e-locked difs, and support parts. (I put the ARB’s into a set of unlocked 450 difs)
#4 Did I say Metal-tech is now an ARB dealer?

woody said:
lookin suhweet Mark!!! PLENTY of time before CM06!!

(this better not be taking important time from your "other" projects...hehehe)
Nope waiting on the former/laser shop this week so I get to work on my own truck for the first time in almost 2 yrs! Soooooo close. Updates soon w/photos.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom