do your own alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

euclid

SILVER Star
Threads
Unless you have indications in the handling that the caster is off, then it's not worth paying an alignment shop. Caster is only adjusted by stuffing tapered shims between the axle and the springs, and camber can't be adjusted.

The only other adjustment, and what a shop will charge you $50 to adjust is something you can do in an hour or so in your driveway. Here's how:

Toe in is very important, but easy to set. Measure up from the ground to the middle of the hub, then put a strip of masking tape across the front tires at the same height, front and rear. Then find the middle of the tread, you end up with a big + on the tires. Then just measure the distance between the + signs on the front and rear of the tire, adjust till the front is about 1/8" less than the rear. It really helps to have a second person to hold the other end of the tape steady on the other side of the truck.
101-0116_IMG.jpg
101-0117_IMG.jpg
101-0118_IMG.jpg

Last edited:
There's a post recently where a mudder stated (we're all mudders, no?) had set his toe similar to you, but found out his truck drove better after a professional job.

I think your method would be great to get "close enough" after a suspension rebuild or upgrade. Not trying to diss ya, but do we have a conclusive answer for the best way to get our trucks aligned?

Yulp adjust toe in by myself. After the monkeys at the shop fudged it up...

All 3 of my Cruisers have driveway adjusted toe-in. As you say, it's dead simple.

euclid said:
Unless you have indications in the handling that the caster is off, then it's not worth paying an alignment shop. Caster is only adjusted by stuffing tapered shims between the axle and the springs, and camber can't be adjusted.

Toe in is very important, but easy to set. Measure up from the ground to the middle of the hub, then put a strip of masking tape across the front tires at the same height, front and rear. Then find the middle of the tread, you end up with a big + on the tires. Then just measure the distance between the + signs on the front and rear of the tire, adjust till the front is about 1/8" less than the rear. It really helps to have a second person to hold the other end of the tape steady on the other side of the truck.
OK now I have a weekend project. Looks pretty straightforward.

Bob
1977 FJ40 "MuMu"
1992 FJ80 "Tubbs"

1982 FJ60 FS

Measuring across the tires assumes they're perfectly round & straight. How about putting the front axle on jack stands & holding a piece of chalk stationary as close to the center of the tire as you can while turning each wheel, thereby inscribing a circumference line? Then measure around each wheel & mark 2 halfway points. Then use a level to get these marks horizontal & proceed with the measuring & adjustment of the tie rod.

too easy

so, all you need is a tape mearsure and some masking tape.....you don't even have to touch a wrench. This is great...I can't believe the shops aren't onto this one. I'll be trying it this weekend.

You'll need a wrench or two to make an actual adjustment. Finding a good referance point on the tire is easier said than done. I like Tinkers idea of a chalk circle drawn while rotating the tire.

just trying to make the point to include all

the directions for adjustment...this should be in the factory manual though....haven't looked but need to do some on my unit

Great write up Greg!

I pull my wheels on my 40 and use c-clamps to clamp long pieces of angle to my rotors, measure and do the math to make it 1 deg toe-in per FSM. Doesn’t really matter much when your housing is kinda tweaked though. :doh:

Great write up.

This should be added to the FAQ.

sven said:
the directions for adjustment...this should be in the factory manual though....haven't looked but need to do some on my unit

Yeah, step one of every project is go get your FSM and read what it says.

You must have been reading my mind when when you did this write up-Thanks for sharing!

mmw68 said:
Greg,
That was great, now please do a write up of the power steering box, that is next weeks project. :)

-mark

Ok, here it is:
Take the box off. Send it to West Texas Off Road. When it gets back put it back on. Done.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom