Just Picked Up A FZJ80!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

I just picked up a nice and clean 93 FZJ80 with 118k on it and a stack of very well kept records! Green Exterior (not my 1st choice) with nice grey leather interior. It does NOT have the favored e lockers but for the price i paid and the condition of the vehicle and the miles, i am ok with that! It was in a very minor fender bender and needs a few small odds and ends, but mostly everything is perfect on it! Interior is flawless (except for that missing diff lock knob, :D )

Very stoked on my new purchase and i look forward to building it up! Pics will follow soon.

Few questions:

-I thought ALL 80's had at least a CENTER diff lock switch, mine does not. Any reason why?

-One of the transmission cooler lines that runs through the radiator to cool the tranny fluid is leaking and needs to be replaced, Is this a specific part # hose item, or is any good parts store hose ok?

-One of the parts i need to pick up is a new grill, the old one is smashed in a little. Does anyone know if the 95+ style with the Toyota Symbol instead of the word is a direct bolt in or if they are interchangeable? I kind of like the symbol look better, i know its petty, but since i am in there, :)

Any advice is well appreciated, i look forward to this build up!

Do a search on the CDL topic, not all 80's came with it. I'm not 100% sure but I think only 91-92 had it.

As for the grille, go with what you want, man, no need to justify *anything*.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

A call to C-dan and about $45 will get you that center lock switch. From 93-97 they were not factory installed (don't know why).

I know it won't stay stock for long. Start saving up for the OME lift (much cheaper to lift an 80 than a 60) and the ARB equipment.

Welcome to the club!

Doc

CDL switches were standard on 93-94 with rear drum brakes. Ask me how I know!!

the tranny cooler, is it at the bottom of the radiator??? if so then its the p/s oil cooler, order from cdan....he's the go to guy for parts !

NovaFZJ80 said:
the tranny cooler, is it at the bottom of the radiator??? if so then its the p/s oil cooler, order from cdan....he's the go to guy for parts !

Yes, it is at the bottom of the radiator (part of it) and it is dripping RED fluid!

TX_TLC said:
No place for the cup holder in a '93 dash Romer... :D
Yet another flaw with the 93/94 models :D

Grills are not easily interchangeable. Seems that most in the past wanted to revert to the T O Y O T A instead of the sombrero'd jumping bean...rather than your preference.

Congrats on the new acquisition!

i'd def go and order one from cdan, eventually it will come out and the p/s reservoir will be empty and very hard to steer, even may mess up the p/s pump.

NorCalDoug said:
Yet another flaw with the 93/94 models :D

Grills are not easily interchangeable. Seems that most in the past wanted to revert to the T O Y O T A instead of the sombrero'd jumping bean...rather than your preference.

Congrats on the new acquisition!

Flaw?? I think not!

And diddo on the grills...look closely you can see they wouldn't line up...and I MUCH prefer the T O Y O T A to the sombero...;) Yet another reason to opt for the '94 :D

Boston Mangler said:
Yes, it is at the bottom of the radiator (part of it) and it is dripping RED fluid!

Yes there are two lines that run into the bottom of the radiator from the tranny, IN and OUT. Then there is the tranny cooler which is mounted just behind the front grill, look to the right of the horns and you'll see it. Now there are metal lines that run close to the bottom of the grill that are for the power steering. Do note that the power steering takes transmission fluid, so you could confuse it.

Bear80 said:
Yes there are two lines that run into the bottom of the radiator from the tranny, IN and OUT. Then there is the tranny cooler which is mounted just behind the front grill, look to the right of the horns and you'll see it. Now there are metal lines that run close to the bottom of the grill that are for the power steering. Do note that the power steering takes transmission fluid, so you could confuse it.

Thanks guys! I just replaced the hose! Turn out it WAS the tranny cooler line and it was going into the transmission cooler and NOT into the radiator as i originally thought! It was much easier to do once i got the grill off!

Thanks for the advice!

In order to properly fit the 95-up grille you will also need 95-up headlamps, the 95-up valance panel and the 95-up center grille brace.

Thanks Cdan, that confirms it is more work then i want to do! :D Also more $ then i want to spend!

I will be PMing you shortly with a list of goodies to buy!

Thanks again

The reason that the CDL switch was not installed by the factory is due to the Viscous Coupling in the center differential.

91-92 (including the later 100 series) doesn't have the viscous coupling, hence the CDL switch.

Exiled said:
Do a search on the CDL topic, not all 80's came with it. I'm not 100% sure but I think only 91-92 had it.

As for the grille, go with what you want, man, no need to justify *anything*.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

an unlocked 80?
I'll sell you an Aussie for the rear... as soon as it gets to me from you selling it to me and you mailing it! :flipoff2:

Congrats on the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom