Any suggestions on the factory Horn upgrades? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Guys, do you have suggestions any aftermarket horn upgrade on the 80s? Im looking for loud horn that direct replacements or direct bolt in to the existence holes.(Just plug & plays) such Hellas or Bosch maybe you guys have something better than that?Im trying to upgrade that beep-beep sounds to something tougher/ loud or better horn.

Thanks

Last edited:
EnDLeSS said:
Guys, do you have suggestions any aftermarket horn upgrade on the 80s? Im looking for loud horn that direct replacements or direct bolt in to the existence holes.(Just plug & plays) such Hellas or Bosch maybe you guys have something better than that?Im trying to upgrade that beep-beep sounds to something tougher/ loud or better horn.

Thanks

I like Fiamms. Nice euro sounding horns.

Just installed FIAMM's high and low tone. Plug and play....took less that 30 min. Harbor Frieght has them for $9.98 each.

I am very happy with the tone.

Last edited:
I installed a pair of the FIAMM Freeway Blasters. You can get them from Pep Boys for about $35/set. You will need a high/low set.

The wiring is plug and play. I used the factory bracket with a little creativity.

(later... or you can spend a lot less by following TX_LC's suggestion and get them at HF) :D

-B-

Last edited:
I put in a set of Hella Supertones and was disappointed. The brackets were flimsy and dramatically reduce and change the note. So, I left the factory horns in as well. Haven't touched them in 11 years. Loud, but somewhat discordant. Others had better luck, so I suspect the US distributor sourced their own brackets and they were a poor match back then - may have changed now.

DougM

Endless,
I recently just changed my horns out w/ Hella Supertones I got from Razor (Thanks Rick!). The horns are definitely louder then oem horns. I like them overall however if you want something deep sounding these will probably not be the best ones to go for. I like it for it being loud but I wish they were deeper in sound. Overall though it serves it purpose because when you use it on the highway other cars definitely will hear you honking at them.

Steve

I've thought about replacing mine with a set from another Lexus -- either one from a RX300 or IS300. Both have horns with a better, deeper tone than my rig does.

Since they're all the same breed, more or less, I think they'd be pretty much plug-n-play.

The FIAAMs sound like a good deal though...

Doug-What are you doing up this late? I have a good excuse, but you should be asleep.

Always been a night-owl.
I'll get to bed eventually...:D

I take it you're working graveyard this week?

Last edited:
Anyone found a "holy s*** I can't believe how freaking loud this thing is" horn?

Before I bought mine I searched here and found this...:D Check our hoser's post #8 for a great link to not only train horns but sound clips. And also Mudshack's post #10 has a link with sounds.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=28371&highlight=air+horn

Some cool links to air/train horns. I don't know of any other way to give someone that "I am about to die feelying" without going to air horns.

I have a friend who owns a 2005 F350 Dually, King Ranch edition and he has something similar to the "Nathan P5" from hoser's link. He was showing my last night. HOLY COW!!! He said when he first got it he would get behind someone at the railroad crossing and as the cross bucks were going up and they started to go across he would lay on that thing. I am sure more than one person soiled themself. ;) He then figured that was pretty mean but it does get peoples attention.

My brother has a set similar to the ones Mudshack recommends. They are in his Taco wired to a seperate switch. He will give them one shot with the beep-beep horn then hit the airhorn if that didn't get their attention. :cheers:

EDIT- and oddly enough you posted the same question in that thread Moj! :D Still looking I see?

MoJ said:
Anyone found a "holy s*** I can't believe how freaking loud this thing is" horn?

Yes. Get yourself an air horn off a wrecked semi. I went to a U Pull it Junk Yard and picked up 2. One was smaller from a newer truck and VERY load (about a foot long).

Then I found this one horn off an early 1960's Tractor Trailer. This horn is a little over 2 feet long. Looks like a trumpet. I don't know what the manufacturer was thinking when they made this horn. Being anywhere near this horn in operation is PAINFUL. Not only do you hear it, you FEEL it.

This horn can be heard for MILES.:eek:

97 Land Bruiser said:
Yes. Get yourself an air horn off a wrecked semi. I went to a U Pull it Junk Yard and picked up 2. One was smaller from a newer truck and VERY load (about a foot long).

Then I found this one horn off an early 1960's Tractor Trailer. This horn is a little over 2 feet long. Looks like a trumpet. I don't know what the manufacturer was thinking when they made this horn. Being anywhere near this horn in operation is PAINFUL. Not only do you hear it, you FEEL it.

This horn can be heard for MILES.:eek:

So where are you going to mount those on your 80?? Did you also pull the compressors to run them? Room in a premium under there but I would love to see it done. Anyone?

TX_TLC said:
EDIT- and oddly enough you posted the same question in that thread Moj! :D Still looking I see?

I did try out a few based on that post but have so far been disappointed. I even tried some from a 80-something caddy, they just didn't do it. The factory horns won't even get deer to move outta the road.

The 80's horn does leave something to be desired, must be a common part with the Corolla

If a large air horn like from a semi was installed vertically (the trumpets would have to face down to keep water/mud out) would it still be effective? There is room for something like that behind the grill/bumper

I had something like these when I was a teenager,

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

Single plastic horn with a small 12v compressor. Got it used at a garage sale. One nice thing you could bump them in for a low not to loud toot or lay on it. the tone was still too high I did not like the sound much.

FIAMM...no question about it. Advanced "Vato" Parts has them also...for $15.88 ea. if I recall....

I doubt there is a Harbor Freight in Cali....

Just get one of those tone horns from pepboys or a place like that that has the General Lee horn tone on it. That would be bad ass when you are jumpin over speed bumps and stuff to blare dixie! Oh but it looks like you are from Cali so maybe not. haha!

TX_TLC said:
FIAMM...no question about it. Advanced "Vato" Parts has them also...for $15.88 ea. if I recall....
I doubt there is a Harbor Freight in Cali....
Hey -- Cali's the place to be. We got both Advanced Vato Parts and Harbor Freight...besides, even if we didn't have HF, we could always order off the web.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom